highly irritable and hungry w30 husband. HALP!

I was very surprised to find that I had absolutely no issues adjusting to W30. Sure, I'd love some brie sitting in my fridge and dark chocolate sounds good, but the cravings are very minor and I feel good overall. I am on day 9.

My husband is starting Day 4 and he is really having a difficult time. I want to help him but he's cranky, irritable, and very difficult to talk to. He also says he's hungry almost all the time. I wouldn't say his diet pre-starting was SAD as he didn't eat an enormous amount of processed foods, but it involved lots of refined carbs daily + lots of beer w/an entire container of peanuts every evening. Now he has a banana for breakfast or skipping on the breakfast all together because he said the banana actually makes him hungrier (makes sense to me!), a huge salad with a protein for lunch (tons of veggies, avocado, chicken breast, evoo), and whatever Whole 30 compliant dinner* I make. On his second day he was so hungry that an hour after dinner, he made what he called a "dessert omelet". He's usually not very into eggs, so this is genuine hunger, I think.

*Yesterday was roasted artichokes and tuna/avocado salad served on a mixed veggie salad.

I would appreciate any feedback on how to help him get through this!

I thought this might be part of the problem, but I don't eat breakfast (not much of a food at 7am person) and didn't have the terrible issues he's having. I'll make a frittata for him to grab a slice of in the mornings and see if that helps. Thanks much.

• Moderators

You have to eat breakfast within one hour of waking in the morning if you want maximum results from your Whole30. Eating a substantial breakfast is the best thing you can do to convince your hormones to cooperate with you.

Also, salads look big, but they don't offer much substance. Your husband having salad at lunch after not eating breakfast is almost like skipping two meals!

Yep, he's 'hangry'! He needs 3 substantial meals a day &  I'd go with the high end of the template portions for now: two palms protein and two thumbs fat and pile the veggies on the plate (including a starchy veg at least one meal will probably help him too).

Archived