Spaghetti Squash

HowToBeCrunchy

So I bought a spaghetti squash on my first Whole 30 shopping trip, but I've never cooked with it before. Any tips and tricks?

Should I cook all of it at once and save the unused bits for later? Does it freeze well after cooking? Or should I just cook as much as I plan to eat and then store the rest to cook later (and if so, what's the best way to store it)?

I'm a really good cook with what I know, but this particular veggie is completely new to me - so thanks for the help!

I have been meaning to try spaghetti squash for a very long time, but never remember to buy it.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2008/09/30/eat-your-vegetables-spaghetti-squash/

I imagine you could freeze whatever you don't eat if you aren't apt to leftovers. I would cook it all and then eat off of it until it's gone...that's just how my brain works. It never actually occurs to me to save half of something in case I want to make it into something else. That is not a terrible idea!

Let us know how you like it :)

The link Laura posted above is a good method to cook it. Some recipes call for using more water, and that just doesn't result in a good texture (though I'll admit, I've strained waterlogged, mushy spaghetti squash before to save dinner!) I suspect it wouldn't freeze well, but I've never tried, either. We manage to eat all of one over the course of a week (just me and hubby) - normally it's enough for one dinner and one or two lunches for me. I do recommend seasoning the squash itself well once you cook and pull the strands out, unless you're putting a very flavorful sauce over it. Salt, pepper, and basil is a good combo, depending on what you're eating it with. Good luck! Since I learned to cook it well, I buy one of these gems every week. =)

I steamed mine whole for about 30-45 mins then cut in half scooped out the stringy flesh and combined with my ready made meat sauce , mince meat, onions, mushrooms, basil, other herbs, tomatos, garlic..... So good the best pasta alternative even my husband loved eating it, it reminded him of takeaway, very delicious and it freezes well.

I was just about to start a thread asking best way to cook a spaghetti squash but noticed this one - very timely! I've just bought my first one and since I'm in the UK this is a Big Deal as I've never seen one before and may never see another so I've got to get it right first time :)

That looks like two votes for the Well Fed method so I'll give that a try. Now, if only I could get a jicama too...

Coloradogrrrl21 - how did your squash turn out?

I just throw it in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, then take it out, set it on the counter for about 10-15 minutes until it's cool enough to handle, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, shred it and bam, done. :) It freezes well alone or in pre-made meals. LOVE it. My favorite is with chicken thighs, sauteed chard, basil and olive oil. It's like pesto-ish. :) I've eaten that every day for a week and been a happy camper. :)

So I finally made my first spaghetti squash today. And while making my single person portion it got me thinking about the lack of one person serving size paleo recipes and blogs . . . so I made one! Paleo4One.blogspot.com

I will be posting my recipe for chicken, bacon, artichoke spaghetti squash as my first recipe!

I use my crockpot to cook my spaghetti squash. I just plop it in on low (no water or anything else) and go to work. I come home to perfectly baked spaghetti squash. I let it cool until managable and then cut it in half and scoop out the seeds and shred the rest into a bowl. I love it with ground grass fed beef and marinara sauce. I have frozen it by itself and it gets a bit mushy. Then I froze it with the sauce on it and it worked much better.

Archived