Spreading it out a bit more

LisaLulu

Only on day 16 here, but planning ahead. I only see 4 categories, but I wonder if it would make more sense to introduce non gluten grains apart (rice, oats, corn), plus legumes, dairy, gluten. Also should peanuts or soy be separated from other legumes? What about potatoes? Chocolate? I really want to do the reintro right so I figure out what was giving me the stomach aches. Should dairy and gluten be done first and last since they stay in your system for so long?

A lot of people do that - and sometimes people don't reintroduce Group X at all, if they know they have a sensitivity and don't want it. You could definitely do a corn reintro, then a rice reintro, or a cheese reintro then a milk reintro (since those often affect people differently), just as a couple of examples. It just means the reintro process takes longer. But especially if you have specific issues you're trying to figure out, it could be a good idea.

I don't think it much matters what order you do, as long as you stick to Whole30 in between for at least 2-3 days (to see if any delayed reactions surface) and, if you had a bad reaction to something, maybe longer until you're feeling back to 100%.

I'm pretty sure grains are usually split into gluten containing and non-gluten containing but I don't have the book with me to check. I think gluten containing is suggested first as if you don't get an immediate reaction to these you are probably less likely to get any immediate reactions to non-gluten grains. But if you react to gluten grains then it is worth testing the non-gluten grains separately - corn in particular causes a specific response for some. Potatoes also affect some people (nightshades etc) but its more a longer term affect not an immediate effect so doesn't tend to show up after one day which is why its not listed specifically as a reintro. Re dairy some people don't react at all so its fine trying cheese, yoghurt and milk on the one day, but if you do react then you can try them each separately to see if cheese is okay but not milk etc... or yoghurt but not cheese etc.

Chocolate is not excluded from a whole 30 as in raw cacao is okay so if you are testing chocolate you are more likely testing sugar and additives. That said its also fine to do reintros on whole30 compliant items you have personally excluded and want to test. Remember its an experiment of 1 anyway so do what makes sense for your situation.

Archived