How do you know if it's a problem?

scullyjg

Hi,

So I completed my Whole 30 Tuesday (yeah!!). On Wednesday, I reintroduced dairy by doing a cup of 2% milk at breakfast, a big slice of cheddar cheese at lunch and less than a cup of ice cream for dessert at night. I'm not sure how to evaluate the results. I noticed at night that I had mild indigestion/gas after the ice cream and definitely more sugar cravings than what I had been experiencing prior.

My paramenters I am looking to manage via diet are inflammation that amplifies arthritis pain and hypoglycenia (both became a non-issue while on the Whole 30). Arthritis inflammation was up very very mildly today, no hypoglycemia but some mild return of sugar cravings.

Does that mean dairy impacts me slightly negatively-so don't go bananas with it, but it's okay in small doses? Or does it mean that eating a lot of diary over time causes a lot of inflammation? What does everyone think? 

And would anyone care to comment on what to expect in intensity of blowback symptoms when re-introdcing foods? Is it subtle or is it major? 

Thank You!

I'm in the middle of reintros and have had two wildly varying experiences so far.  I was expecting nothing with dairy, but had increased sinus problems, constipation, then next day extreme emotional, mental, energy, and digestive side effects.  After all my basic reintros are done, I'm going to go back and reintro each dairy item separately to see if symptoms are different with different items.  I didn't do any sugar dairy (like ice cream) but it does sound like you would benefit from trying dairy things separately too, to see if your response was due to dairy or sugar.  I just reintro'ed non-gluten grains (rice, oats, quinoa) and had no problem other than a protruding stomach in the afternoon.  I hold corn in a special category as we have family history of allergy to it, it's in everything, and it's nearly all GMO, so I plan to reintro it separately so as to not muddy the results. Reintro-ing too many variables at once (like sugary dairy) could cause vague symptoms.

I see what you mean-the sugar could easily be what I was responding to. I will have to go back and try it separately. I'm a little bummed it looks like sugar impacts me so signifiantly (goodbye reeces penaut butter cups), but, also, very happy to know how by carefully choosing what I eat, I can feel so much better too. It's been really nice to not be woken by pain in the night or wake up in pain.

Good luck with your reintro!

Archived