Karen's Whole30 Log

Kmlynne

The morning of day 1.  A little excited, a little apprehensive.

First, let me introduce myself.  I am first a Daughter of the King.  Secondly I am a mom of two great teenagers.  Thirdly, I am a nightshift NICU nurse.

I have been overweight for just about my entire life.  If you name the "diet", I have been on it.  I have tried different "lifestyle" changes as well.  I am an emotional eater and have the hardest time when I am tired.  I will do well for a bit and then I "fall off the bandwagon".  I freely admit that when I eat well, I feel better.  When I eat poorly, I feel like poo.  I struggle with food allergies - the biggest one being soy.  (Did you know that soy is in practically everything?).  

On Feb 28th of this year, I began the study Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst.  It motivated me to go back to eating whole foods.  I did well while I was on the study - losing 28 pounds over 6 weeks.  Since finishing it 2 weeks ago, I have been falling back into bad habits.  I have put back 1.5 pounds.  I know that the weight isn't the end all, be all.  But it is important to me.  The bigger problem is that the "not feeling so hot" feelings are coming back.  I NEED BOUNDARIES!  

I am looking forward to Whole30!  I am looking forward to feeling better!  I am looking forward to feeding my family better!

I have some challenges:  1)night shift work.  2)time to plan and prepare.

I work 4-6 12hour night shifts each week (hopefully this will decrease to 3-4 by the end of June).  When I start a stretch of night shifts, I am up for 24 hours.  When I finish a stretch, I sleep for 24 hours.  I know this wreaks havoc with my body, but it is the best I can do.  When I am in a stretch, I find it difficult to find the time to do big preparations.  I try to get all my daily meals packed in about a 45 min time period just before leaving the house.  Whew.  

My Commitment:

Anyway, since every "diet" and "lifestyle change" I have been on has been about counting the calories, I am going to continue to use myfitnesspal.  however, I am going to do my best not to look at the calories (except to make sure I am eating enough), and use it rather to stay with the 40%fat/30%carbs/30%protien ratios.  I will follow the "restrictions" with no cheats and focus on what I can have!  I commit to trying to stay off the scale.  (I usually weigh myself several times a day when I am "dieting".  At most, I will only weigh once a week.  

This morning, I woke up to the email for day one!  WooHoo!  Got me motivated!  I am planning to sort the pantry today and move all the "off-limits" things to their own shelf.  I had a great breakfast!  I am ready to go!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Kmlynne is sounds like you've already made a lot of changes and progress this year! I've read Made to Crave as well and loved it! I'm sure whole30 will be a great addition to the start you've made already!

You should check out nomnompaleo.com - from what I understand she is a nightshift worker as well and completed 2 whole30's in the past so there will probably be some great tips there.

have a great day 1!

• Moderators

My Commitment:

Anyway, since every "diet" and "lifestyle change" I have been on has been about counting the calories, I am going to continue to use myfitnesspal.  however, I am going to do my best not to look at the calories (except to make sure I am eating enough), and use it rather to stay with the 40%fat/30%carbs/30%protien ratios.  I will follow the "restrictions" with no cheats and focus on what I can have!  I commit to trying to stay off the scale.  (I usually weigh myself several times a day when I am "dieting".  At most, I will only weigh once a week.  

No diet or lifestyle change you have tried in the past got you lasting results, so obviously counting calories is not a good thing. You also do not need to concern yourself with whether you are hitting arbitrary macro nutrient numbers either. In fact, this is another measurement to forget about during a Whole30. Our guide is the meal template. If you eat a palm-size portion of animal protein, a thumb-size portion of fat, and a plate full of veggies at every meal, you will meet all the needs your body has. There is no reason to use MyFitnessPal except to stay in bondage to a failed system that has not helped you in the past. Don't do it! Don't weigh yourself. This has not made you successful in the past. We believe weighing yourself undermines learning to listen to your body and keeps you from success. Don't weigh yourself at all for 30 days. You absolutely cannot blend elements from your dieting past with the Whole30 and get the best results. At best, you slow or reduce your potential of success and at worst you completely eliminate your potential. Trust us on this. Our rules and guidelines are not casual suggestions based upon a whim. Every element is thoughtfully designed to get you somewhere that you really need to go. 

Tom, thank you for holding me accountable!  I will do my absolute best (I even hid the scale in another room)!  I know that old habits are hard to break, and will be more conscious of what I am doing (and not doing). 

I am nearing the end of most real peoples day, and just starting my work day (ie night).  So far, so good.  I have eaten well today and have yummy stuff packed for while I am at work.  Here's the breakdown:

M1:  3 eggs, guacomole, rao's marinara sauce, blueberries and blackberries

M2:  venison stew (venison, carrots, celery, butternut squash, spinach) and 1/2 tbsp coconut butter

M3:  bib lettuce wrap with chipotle mayo, roast beef, and tomato

M4:  grapefruit, 1/2 oz raw cashews, 1/2 oz macadamia nuts

M5:  egg, organic chicken sausage link, 5 alfonso olives, big pile of roasted asparagus, shitakes, green beans, and brocolli (roasted with coconut oil)

I did spend some time today planning and prepping for the rest of the week - I also got my well fed/well fed 2 books in the mail today. WooHoo!  :)

Hi Kmlynne, I wish you well on your journey. I am on day 6 myself and like you I have been a slave to the scale and myfitnesspal. One of the things I was looking forward to the most was not having to think about calories or the scale for one full month. With all the  work of preparing food, I am enjoying the mental break. I hope you will also take advantage of this opportunity to take a break from that stuff. It looks like you are off to a great start!

Although it is morning of day 2, I am just finishing day one....  confusing even to me!

I am tired - but have to admit it is more from being up for so long.  I am also hungry.  I guess I didn't pack enough for the night.  I might have to have a small snack when I get home from work.

I have written out what to pack for work tonight and I don't think it will take me too long.  This might actually be a blessing in disguise, getting me to plan and prep ahead!

:P

I hope you will be able to get to fewer days per week workwise.  That sounds like a brutal schedule.  Do you ever get two days off in a row?  You might want to do some bulk cooking on one of them and fill your freezer to make it easier to pack for work days. 

My bf and I take our breakfast and lunch to work so every Sunday I make some type of meat/sweet potato/rutabaga/etc hash and scrambled eggs with sauteed greens and put them in 2 cup containers.  It all goes in the freezer and we take two out each night for the following days breakfast.    

I wish you luck!

mangio_bene:  It is a brutal schedule!  We have been short staffed for a while but there is light at the end of the tunnel - it looks like I should be able to cut back to 3-4 shifts a week by the end of June.  Let me tell you that it can't come soon enough :)

I guess that I didn't plan very well to start whole 30 but I was so excited I didn't want to wait.  I did make it to the grocery store to stock up for the week, and was able (between yesterday and today) to cook up a bunch of protien so that packing will be quicker and easier (with less thinking).  I don't know if I can freeze much since most of the time I can't microwave my meals at work.  I eat at my desk (no other option).  I have gotten used to eating room temp soups, meals, etc.  I am certainly learning to think about making more food when I cook supper, etc so I have leftovers!

Thanks for the help!

It is the "real time" end of day two, but for me, the day is just starting. 

This morning, when I got home from work, I was starving!  I had to have something to eat, even knowing that I probably wouldn't sleep well because of it.  I had eggs and guac.  No veggies.  Just wanted to put something in my tummy and was too tired to think of anything else. 

I woke up this evening amazed that I slept for 8.5 hours (with one BR break- no heartburn, no restless sleep)!  Realized that I had less than an hour to get ready to leave for work so hit the kitchen.  Thank goodness I had a plan written out!  Damn Fine Chicken out of the crockpot and under the broiler.  Mayo made, and then salad dressing.  Hot plate dinner in the skillet.  All meals assembled and packed, showered, changed and out the door in less time than I thought possible!  (and the dishes were washed too!)

As I was packing my meals, I realized that I was a little bit lightheaded.  I could have scarfed some peanut butter and graham crackers.  But I didn't.  I know that I should have taken time to eat something, but didn't have a chance until right after I got to work.  Usually, I eat my first meal around 9 or 10pm (I guess that that technically means skipping breakfast since I get up at 530....).  I will have to work on that in the future.  Today, I was eating by 715.  I immediately felt better (less lightheaded) so I know that it is the food.

More specifically, I am sure it is the lack of sugar.  Before starting W30, I thought I was eating well - veggies, lean meat, low fat, no "carbs" (breads, pastas, grains).  So, I thought this would be easy and I would not have many of the symptoms I have read about with w30.  However, when I was cleaning out my pantry and fridge, I started looking at the ingredients to see if I could have it.  I was amazed at how many things have sugar in them!  So, although I do not have a "sweet tooth", I have a feeling I am going to have to detox from sugar anyway!

Snack (before going to bed this am):  2 eggs, guac

M1:  hotplate - 5oz ground beef, 3.5C bok choy snap peas and scallions, sauteed in duck fat with dried ginger and coconut aminos

M2:  3 eggs, guac, leftover pile of roasted asparagus, shitakes, green beans, and brocolli (roasted with coconut oil), 1/4 C blueberries/blackberries mix

Snack:  grapefruit and 1 oz cashew/macadamia nut mix

M3:  huge salad (spring greens, carrots, cuke, tomato) with 2 damn fine chicken legs and homemade italien dressing from Well Fed (I used a blackberry ginger balsamic vinegar and it is to die for!)

End of day three for most - just starting for me.

Feelings:  i am either full, or starving.  Not really all that unusual.  I guess I tend to ignore my "hunger cues" until I can't any longer.

Sleep:  only 5 hours of sleep today.  Sunday is always a late morning getting to bed because of church.  However, today, once I got to bed, I lay there for over 2 hours unable to go to sleep.  I was a bit hard to get up when the alarm went off :)

Symptoms:  I am not getting the tiredness that many people have talked about (and I think its a bit early for Kill Anything), but have had something strange.  I am going on, doing great when out of the blue will get light headed and dizzy, feeling like I am just going to collapse.  Sometimes I feel like I am starving, other times I dont particularly feel like I could eat.  I have discovered however that if I do eat something, I feel better.  I am wondering if it is the "lack" of sugar and my body adjusting to that. 

One other thing:  (TMI alert)  - I definately have the bloating that some spoke about - probaby since I havent gone to the BR since I started this.  More meat than I am used too getting me blocked up?  I just know I will feel better when "that" happens! 

Today, it took me all of 15 minutes to pack my meals for work!  Woo Hoo!  Sundays are my "no cook days" and I stood by that even on the diet.  Fortunatly, I still had plenty in the fridge from what I prepared on Friday.  Here's my meals for tonight:

M1:  leftover venison stew with a tablespoon of coconut manna

M2:  2 eggs, 2 chicken sausage links, guac, blueberries and blackberries mix, and carrots and broccoli with dressing to dip in  (oops, forgot to pack my dip)

snack:  grapefruit  (didn't have time to eat) and 1 oz cashew/macadamia nuts (macadamia nuts are my new "crack" - I think I could eat the whole jar!)

M3:  3 chicken legs, sweet potato and ghee

Hope you all had a good one!

A word about Coconut Manna.

Now I love coconut.  But somehow, I was a bit shy of trying something called coconut "butter".  I wondered what I would put it on.  Crackers, toast, etc are all out.  Maybe some fruit slices?  But I don't want to overload my fruit - I am getting enough already.  Maybe I could cook with it.....  Then I starting seeing a bunch of blogs where people were eating it by the spoonful.  Hmmmm....

So, I bought the jar.  I'll try anything once.

When I opened the lid, I thought it looked just like my coconut oil.  So, I scraped some off the top and popped it in my mouth....  Yuck.  It coated my mouth just like oil did.  I was looking at the jar contemplating whether or not to throw it away or try something else with it when I realized that the stuff IN the jar looked a different color that the stuff ON TOP of the jar....  so I dug down under the layer of oil and found.....  heaven.  Or at least as close to real manna as man could come up with!

So, I don't know if my jar was a fluke (settling of contents maybe) or if they all come that way, but if you are ready for a real treat, go and get some!

BTW - I am still not sure what else to do with it beside eat it by the spoonful....  any suggestions?

I had symptoms similar to the ones that you described with the lightheadness and dizzyness. I had to add in additional snacks to help me get through the first few days. Like you I always felt better after I ate something so I did wonder if it was something to do with blood sugar. I felt like I was starving all the time all the way up to day 6. I'm on day 8 now and I am finally doing better with that. I hope it goes away quickly for you.

End of day 4 for most - beginning of day 4 for me.....

Well, the lightheadedness and dizziness seems to be passing somewhat - at least I am not getting hit as hard or as frequently - I can actually feel it coming on and have time to get some food before feeling really bad.

Went to be and fell asleep fairly quickly...  then woke up 3.5 hours later(around noon) and couldn't get back to sleep.  At one point, I looked at my clock and swore it said 445, so I got up and showered and went to the kitchen to make my meals for work.  The kitchen clock said 305.  What????  Realized that my iPhone (bedroom clock) was set on military time (for work) and it really was 1445.  Can't believe I did that.  By the time I had figured things out, I was definitely awake - no getting back to sleep now.  So, I am definitely tired, but not much more than I normally do at this point in my night shift stretch.  I did wake up with a wicked headache...  lack of sleep?  the rain that just moved into the area?  Not enough water last night (got to busy to stop for drinks)?

On the plus side, I realized this afternoon, as I pondered my lack of sleep, that I didn't log into myfitnesspal.com to record yesterdays meals....  the first time in a very, very long time!  Maybe it was because I logged my meals here....  or maybe the spirit of whole30 is working overtime :)  I really had not been watching the calories, I was doing it more out of habit.  Perhaps, just perhaps I have broken that cycle!

Since I was up so early, I got a bit hungry so made a mini meal:  bibb lettuce wraps with chipotle mayo (homemade), roast beef and tomato.  Now, to lie down for another hour before I really have to get up -_-

Never got back to sleep....  It's going to be a long night.  Anyway, here are my meals for the night:

M1:  venison stew, nicoise-coquillo olives

M2:  hot plate with 5oz ground beef, 3 cups green beans cooked with duck fat, basil, lime juice and coconut aminos

M3:  3 HB eggs, guac , 2 chicken sausage, 1 1/2 cups broccoli and carrot sticks, 1/3 c blueberry/blackberry mix

I decided that since I didn't eat my grapefruit that I had packed last night and I felt ok, that I would not pack a snack tonight (also, I had a mini meal earlier today).

Beginning and end of Day 5

I am coming off of night shift, and transitioning back to day time hours.  What usually is a very short day (i.e. him in the am, bed, up for about 4-5 hours, then back to bed for the night) has turned into a very long day indeed.

After coming off nights, I had to go to court this morning (child support issues).  On top of the added stress, I didn't see my bed until about noon.  Then the kids came back home to me at 1530 (330pm) and as usually spent about an hour sitting on my bed telling me about my week.  This is something I definitely don't mind losing sleep over :)

With as late as I had gotten home this morning, I was a little bit hungry, but not starving.  I was just too tired to make anything.  Really wasn't hungry when I got up either - and wasn't hitting any wall (dizziness, feeling like I was going to fall down....).  Kids were hungry though so I hit the kitchen.  What to make, what to make.  As I am sure you could probably guess, my brain wasn't working on all cylinders and these are usually the nights the kids and I hit fast food.  No longer!!!!!!!  I had some leftover ground beef and a few wilty veggies left in the fridge.  Ended up with an amazing dinner!

M1:  Frittata (ground beef, onion, yellow pepper, mushroom, spinach, eggs and coconut milk) topped with salsa and guac - so quick and easy!

BTW - did anyone notice - no measurements in my food log!  Also, nothing has gone into myfitnesspal!  I am discovering new freedom!  Also, the jeans seem just a tiny bit looser in the hips.  Oh, how I want to jump on the scale right now....  but Im not  :D

This might be my only meal of the day, unfortunately.  I am eating at 5pm and am usually am back in bed by 7pm.  Tonight, however, I am heading to the school board meeting.  My son is being recognized for getting first place at the State level FBLA examinations.  This is one proud momma!

Day 6

In bed last night about 830pm, I think I looked at the clock around 9.  Next thing I knew, it was 430am!  7.5 hours of sleep!  WhooHoo!  I felt good too - No headache, and as I listened to the rain outside I realized that I wasn't feeling groggy sleepy, either.  I certainly don't have tiger energy yet - which I wish I did since I have so much to do today and tomorrow - including grocery shopping and preparing for the next week.  

The kids had the rest of the frittata for breakfast this morning and I poked around to see what I had left.  Was making my standby of eggs, bacon and blueberries/blackberries when I realized I had no veggies.  Quickly threw mushrooms (they are looking a little sad) and tomatoes in the pan to sauté with some tomatoes and spinach (all cooked in duck fat).  Put the eggs on top of the veggies and covered with Rao's marinara sauce.  Very yummy.

Have some "office work" to do and plenty of house cleaning.  As it is still raining (calling for it all day) I am going to save the grocery shopping for tomorrow.  I still have plenty of protein, and I am sure I can find some veggies in the freezer.

M1:  sautéed (in duck fat) spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, bacon, and roasted garlic w/ 2 eggs, rao's marinara sauce, blue/black berries

M2: spring mix and tomatoes, 2 pieces of Damn Fine Chicken (nomnompaleo.com - thank you!), blackberry ginger balsamic dressing

--------------------

Well, I said this morning that I wasn't feeling the "tiger energy" yet....  I think it is creeping in!  Instead of happily spending the day in bed, I realized that I was too antsy for it.  I got my office work done in much less time than I thought I would, and cleaned house for a little bit.  As I was folding clothes that have been waiting for me (for a while) I realized they were my gym clothes...  Well, that got me wanting to go to the gym!  It wasn't until I was there that I realized I didn't have my prewo snack, or my post wo snack.  Since I had eaten lunch about 45 min before, I decided to run into the grocery store next to the gym and pick up something.  I glanced at the meal template:  post work out snack is protein and a starchy veg.  I wondered around contemplating.  i didn't know the ingredients of the salad bar meats but found some proscuitto.  Starchy veg.....  I got it!!  I head for the baby food aisle and grabbed a pack of organic sweet potato/apple puree.  (I know the fruit wasn't the best thing, but it was only my 2nd serving of the day.  The plain sweet potato puree had sugar added to it - can you believe that?)  I have to admit that the ladies in the locker room were looking at me a bit funny as I ate my "baby food".  Oh well  :lol:

----------------------

Post WO :  organic sweet potato/apple puree (yes, baby food) and proscuitto

M3:  Last of the chicken (shredded) with stir fry broccoli and snap peas (cooked in coconut oil) with best stir-fry sauce ever (well fed)

-------------------------

Really getting down to the last of my food that I bought last friday.  Was hoping it would last through the whole week.  I could probably get a last few meals from it tomorrow, but that would be it.  If I have time after work tonight, I think I will make up some "leftover plates" for the fridge.....  Now, what to make for next week?

Day 7

Wow - has it been a week already? Time has flown!

Today has been a busy day - and to tell the truth, I am ready for a nap. However, I am afraid that if I do, I won't be able to sleep tonight and I have to work day shift tomorrow (7am-730pm). What to do, what to do.

I slept well last night - about 930pm-530am. Up before the alarm again. Once again, I woke up not feeling tired and ready to go back to bed - certainly more energetic than I used to be. I made the kids sweet potato hash for breakfast but mis-estimated how much it would make and I didn't have enough for myself. Since I was planning to leave right away to take the car to the shop, I packed a breakfast. Since I knew that I was going to be out late running errands, I also packed my lunch. Today was shopping and preparing day. When the car was done, I went to the farmers market, then headed to a local butcher and got some fresh, local, "good" meats. I was like a kid in a candy store! Sausages and bacon without sugar, all kinds of pork and beef cut to order.... I did buy a bit more than I needed, but put some in the freezer for now. Then to the grocery store to pick up a few things that I hadn't found yet, and then to a second store for a last couple of items. Breakfast was eaten at the car repair shop, and lunch was eaten in the car on the way home because traffic was so bad I couldn't wait.

Once home, I pulled out my list of things to do: made dill sauce, sunshine sauce, green curry sauce, pizza seasoning, italian sausage seasoning, kailua pig in the crock pot, spaghetti squash baked, frittata made, asian asparagus slaw made, last of precooked ground beef seasoned for tacos for my kids dinner tomorrow night and veggies prepped for them. Breakfast, lunch and dinner packed for tomorrow for me, lunch for my daughter (my son insists on buying at school), and breakfasts ready for the morning. I still have to pick up my ground beef on saturday and make meat balls. I thought about doing the cauliflower rice ahead but am not sure how it would hold up in the fridge... does anyone know?

**side note: I couldn't find sunflower seed butter without sugar so subbed tahini butter instead. I realized after I made everything that the asian slaw and the thai salad I plan to have, both have sesame seeds.... I will try to spread them out during the week.... but the slaw recipe made ALOT of slaw....

So here's the rundown:

M1: salad with spring mix, tomato, carrots, wegmans chicken porcini sausage and a HB egg with blackberry ginger balsamic dressing.
M2: 3 egg salad w/homemade mayo and herbs (i really missed my sweet pickle relish in this), lox, carrots, blue/blackberry mix

------------------------------------------

A word to the wise: don't plan to have a dinner that requires a lot of cooking when you have been cooking all day :wacko:

M3: salmon, asparagus, dill sauce

Forgot to mention that the food cravings were really bad today - at least while I was in the grocery store.  Had a bad case of the "oh pity me I can't have that".  So, I raced out of the store as quickly as I could.  By the time I got home, most of the cravings had gone.....  I didn't even think about the pint of Ben and Jerrys I have sitting in the freezer...  well, mostly.

I often freeze extra uncooked cauflower rice and it does really well. I take it out and either steam in microwave or saute it in a pan with a little oil. I usually rice a whole cauliflower and use half the rice then freeze the other half.

Day 8!  A new week!

Today is a daylight hours work day - and let me tell you I hit the ground running as soon as I walked in the door!

I slept well again last night (I could get really used to that) - from 830-530 and woke up feeling refreshed.  Since I still had the Kalua Pig in the crockpot, I pulled that out and fork shredded it.  It was so tender that it only took about 10 minutes to shred 5lbs.  Oh my goodness, yummy!  I can't wait to have BBQ ....  oops, scratch that - No BBQ sauce for me right now, but I know that I can find lots of other ways to have it!  Made breakfast for the kids and made sure they were out of bed and I headed out the door.  As I was breaking up the pig, I thought about eating breakfast before leaving the house, but decided to eat at work like I usually do.  That was a mistake!  However, even though it was so busy, it wasn't until about 9am that I hit the "if I don't eat I'm going to hurt someone".  (and I thought I skipped the Kill Everything stage).  A quick breakfast at my computer solved the problem though.  Lunch came a little bit late since breakfast was late...  and I guess dinner will be a little bit late also - but thats ok!

When I packed my meals for today, I had decided that I would get a salad from the salad bar to go with my lunch.  I happily filled up with my favorite salad things, foregoing the cheese and croutons of course.  It wasn't until I was happily munching away that realized that the pineapple I put on the salad was canned - what was I thinking?!?  I picked them all out and continued on my way - and am happy to report I didn't even accidently eat one :)

M1:  frittata with chorizo, broccoli, spinach and mushrooms - baby carrots, guac, blueberries

M2:  salad with spring greens, cucumber, carrots, beets (even had the kitchen staff check for sugar) with the dill sauce that I had leftover from dinner last night.  Spaghetti squash with meat sauce.

M3:  Asian asparagus slaw (has fat from sesame and olive oil), 2 HB eggs, proscuitto

I am sad to report that something that I ate today (probably at lunch) has made me bloated.  I feel miserable.  I have an allergy to soy and this is exactly how I feel when I get into something that has soy in it.

The only thing that I can think of was the salad from the bar at work.  One of my coworkers told me that they spray the veggies with something to clean them.  It is the only thing I can think of.  I guess I will have to start packing salads again.....  The only other thing it could be is the spaghetti squash - but it was roasted with nothing on it, and I have had the sauce and meat before with no problems.  On the other hand, it may be a recurrence of the issues I have had off and on since day 3.....  *sigh*

M1: sweet potato hash, 2 bacon slices, 2 fried eggs

M2: Thai Salad (from Well Fed). With shredded kalua pig and sunshine sauce (well Fed).

Snack: Asian meatballs (nomnompaleo) and toasted coconut

M3: ribeye, steamed broccoli, sweet potato

Wow - what a busy weekend.  Yesterday, all I had time to do was log my meals (and I glad I did because I can barely remember what I have had so far today - let alone yesterday!).  I was up again at 545am (after going to bed about 9pm).  I am still caught by surprise that I sleep so well during the night and am not lying awake after my middle of the night bathroom run.  Once again, I woke up ready to start my day, having no desire to just lay in the bed.  The kids had to be up and out of the house by 7am for a high school band function and were quite surprise to see me up making them breakfast  (weekend are usually "fend for youself").  I had company coming over (friends that I hadn't seen in months) so I spent the early part of the morning cleaning house (which also includes my room - washing and drying sheets etc since my room is my guest room).  I finished up with plenty of time for a dump run, then a visit to the Farmers Market.  The first Saturday of the month of always a BIG market!  I had bought so much on Thursday, the fridge was packed to the gills, so I just wandered around and took it all in.  I began to realize how grateful I am that it is spring.  The weather was perfect and sunny - not too hot or too cool.  The veggies looked bright and colorful, the flowers were blooming and the trees all had leaves.  I think we have finally left winter behind (I say this hesitantly since my heat was still on a few days ago).  From the farmers market, I walked the couple of blocks to the butcher (I usually drove this) to pick up my local, grass-fed ground beef.  Once back home, I made a whole bunch of meatballs - different flavors of course.  Now, where to put them in the fridge.  Except for some occassional veggies, I shouldn't have to shop for a week or two :)  Which is a good thing since I have some heavy work weeks ahead of me.  After and afternoon of baking, I went out to eat with friends.  We had a great time.  A couple of people even said something about how it was good to see me actually eating!  My usual fare (owing in large part to food allergies and "diets") was usually a salad with no cheese, no croutons, no dressing.  In some places, I would get a side of fries to nibble on for some "substance" (would usually end up sharing most of the plate), but not always (depended on the oil they used to cook them).  Due to going out and having house guests, I was in bed a bit later than usual - 1030pm.  I was anxious to see if going to bed later would help me sleep just a little later in the morning.  This was not to be.  At 1130pm I got a paniced call from work and raced to help out.  I didn't get back home until after 2am.  The lack of sleep was offset by the knowledge that a little life was saved.  The crazy thing was that as soon as 545am rolled around - I was awake!  I had not realized before, how much of a haze I had been living in, always sleep deprived, until I was back in that state today.  Amazing. 

One thing that I noticed yesterday was that I was H.U.N.G.R.Y.  I would eat the same thing that I have been eating - and an hour later felt that I could eat again.  I am not talking "having the muchies" hungry....  I would gladly have had a piece of steamed fish and broccoli.  I did ok in the early part of the day since I was out and running around.  I had not packed anything and kept telling myself, you can wait for lunch when you get home.  (The Beach Fries Food Truck was very, very tempting - I had not had a chance to try their deep fried Key-Lime Pie yet).  I did end up having a snack in the afternoon but remained compliant :)

Unfortunately, my broken sleep last night was the lead in to going back onto night shift.  I spent the morning at church and at the last minute decided to go to lunch with the church peeps.  After getting home, making sure the kids were good to go for the next couple of days and packing my meals for the night, I hit the bed for a nap at 330pm.  It took me a while to fall asleep, but when the alarm went off at 630, I only wished I could turn it off and go back to sleep for the night.  As I sit here and type this, I am still pretty tired.  I think its going to be a hard night.

M1:  frittata, asian asparagus slaw, guac, blueberries

M2:  steam fish and shrimp with mixed steamed veggies - no sauce, no seasoning (chinese food resturant)

M3:  green curry meatballs and green curry sauce with coconut cauliflower rice (Well Fed 2)

M4:  2 eggs, nomnompaleo asian meatballs, 2 cups mixed raw veggies, avocado

Archived