Karen's Whole30 Log

Kmlynne

So, a couple of days ago, I started to not feel so great - bloated, slightly nauseous...  and lately I noticed that I have been retaining water (only 2 bathrooms stops in 12 hours while drinking >60 oz water?)  because my ring has gotten tight on my finger.  I couldn't figure out what in the world was going on.  I have been very carefully following the rules and the meal template - watching my salt intake too.  It wasn't until I was scrolling through the forum in the wee hours of this morning that I saw a post from someone looking for substitutes for coconut oil, milk, etc because they were allergic to tree nuts.  Hello!  Karen!  You are allergic to tree nuts!!!!!!!  Well, according to the allergist, it is somewhere between a sensitivity and an allergy.  I am "ok" to have small, infrequent amount.  Since starting Whole30 - I have really been enjoying my coconut.  I have practically gone through a jar of it cooking, had a couple tbsp coconut manna, toasted coconut flakes for a snack, and this week have been making sauces and such with coconut milk.  After the green curry meatball (made with coconut milk) and green curry sauce (made with coconut milk) and coconut cauliflower rice (again, made with coconut milk), I was pretty much done for the night.  My last meal of my day I really didn't want to eat, but knew I should.  I ended up just picking at it and it became more of a mini meal instead.  I didn't sleep well today and my tummy still hurts this afternoon.  My plan right now is to forgo all things coconut.  I have switched to cooking with duck fat and ghee.  I will give it a fews days past when I am feeling better and then reintroduce the coconut a small (and I mean small) serving at a time and see what my body can tolerate.  I have also put aside all my other nuts (even though they don't seem to bother me) just to make sure.  *Sigh*

Food today:

M1:  sweet potato hash with bacon, shallot, bell pepper, and mushrooms cooking in duck fat,  4 eggs cooked in ghee and half an avocado

M2:  spaghetti squash, italian meatballs (well fed), rao's marinara sauce, black olives

M3:  asian asparagus slaw, asian meatballs, two eggs and half an avocado

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 12

The end of this stretch of night shifts! Only two, but sometimes that is even harder - it just doesn't give a body time to turn around. Since it is the end, it is my day where I don't get much to eat. Looking back, I should have prepared something to have as soon as I got up. I will try to remember for next time.

In bed about 745 in the morning, and asleep before 8 (I know this for sure because I missed a phone cal at 759am- didn't even hear the phone ring!). Back up again at 130pm to run a quick errand. As soon as my kids were home from school we took off to go see my parents. They winter in Fla and I hadn't seen them since Thanksgiving! After a great visit with them, it was back home and back to bed.

Feeling: despite not having any coconut (or other tree nuts) for over 24 hours, I am still feeling bloated and "tender" in my gut. It's a little better but not much.

M1: roasted chicken, sautéed asparagus with mushrooms and bacon, green salad with creamy avocado dressing (the rest of the family had corn on the cob with Mac and cheese)
Snack: one large strawberry.

Let me explain the strawberry. The other night, I went in to work in the middle of the night to help a coworker. She was so appreciative that she made me a bouquet of chocolate covered strawberries! Oh, yum! I took it with me to my parents house so we could all enjoy it - and so the temptation wouldn't be sitting in front of me for days. I. Watched everyone else eating them and licking the chocolate off their fingers. really wanted one. So, I broke down. As soon as the smell of the chocolate hit my nose, I realized it just wasn't worth it. I peeled all the chocolate off (fed it to my child) and enjoyed a beautiful, juicy strawberry!

Day 13....

Well, for someone who is not very superstitious, it has definitely been a 13 kind of day :)

I slept until 0553 (YES! A whole extra 8 minutes!) but when I awoke, I wasn't greater with the energy that I have had on prior days. And I was HUNGRY! (I guess its the result of only one meal yesterday). While the kids ate leftover mac and cheese (I know - not very good for them but it was their request - I did top it off with some blueberries), I foraged for myself. Despite being hungry, I couldn't decide what I wanted to eat..... ugh. I finally decided and made my breakfast and just as I was sitting down to eat my son called - he locked the only set of keys in the van. So, I finished up, called a locksmith and met them at the school (they told me they'd be there in 15 min, it was more like 45. Five minutes and 65$ later, I was on my way to the gym.

I work out at Planet Fitness. I had made the transfer to PF from Gold's gym mostly for financial reasons and although I miss having a trainer, and all the classes to try out, I pretty much enjoy it when I go. Today, I found one of the treadmills decorated with pink balloon and streamers. Every mile that is walked on that treadmill equals a dollar donation from PF to Breast Cancer Research Foundation. It was gratifying to know that my regular workout earned a 3$ donation! After a quick shower, I was off to the church to do my "church work". Since it was a 13 kind of day, and I rushed out the door to get to the school for the locksmith, I had forgotten my snack and my lunch. A quick stop to the grocery store solved that. Now, it is almost time to get dinner started and then back to the church for evening service and praise team practice. Busy day!

M1: sweet potato/veggie hash (mushroom, onion, peppers) cooked in duck fat, 3 fried eggs cooked in ghee and left over asparagus and mushrooms from last pm.

post WO: sweet potato/apple baby food, few slices of roast beef

M2: green salad (lettuce, tomato, cuke) with creamy avocado dressing, canned beets and 3 HB eggs

M3: Asian meatballs, hb egg, blueberries, leftover asparagus/mushrooms

Day 14!  Oh my goodness, its been two weeks!

Update on the coconut:  today is the first day that I feel just about normal after the gut issues from the coconut.  I am going to continue to avoid it for a few more days and then introduce it slowly to see what happens.  I am going to be really bummed if I can't tolerate the coconut at all......  

I think that I have gotten into the "I really don't feel like eating anything" stage.  For breakfast, and then for lunch I just stood in front of the fridge and stared, then I closed the door and walked away thinking that I really don't feel like anything, but returned knowing that I had to eat Something.  

Got to bed last night about 10pm and didn't fall asleep until almost 11pm.  I was still up at 545.  I would love to get that last half hour of sleep.  However, my body is not begging for a nap by noon so I guess its enough for now.

Today has been a quiet day at home, going through my desk and file cabinets.  I have purged a ton of files after scanning them to the computer and am slowly getting my life organized.  This is something that I have wanted to do for a loooong time but just didn't have the energy to face it.  Next up, sorting the thousands of pictures I have on the computer :)

The bright spot of my day was going to my doctors office.  This was for my normal 6mo checkup, and of course he made me get on the scale (even though I begged not too).  He was so surprised at how much I had lost in 6 months that I had to peek!  (I did tell weigh as soon as I got home too because I thought his scale was a little light, and it was, but who's going to argue about that).  My doctor was even happier when I told him that I had continued to gain since my last visit (no, he wasn't happy about the gain) and had topped out at 300 by March 1.  To date, since then, I have lost 34 pounds!  The best part is that 6 of it has been since starting whole30.  The best part was that he checked my blood pressure twice!  And not because it was high - but because it was lower that he has seen it in years (he even went back through my file to make sure).  He wasn't ready to take me off or decrease anything because the diastolic (lower) number was on the higher end of normal.  It's ok - I'll take that over having to increase my meds :)  We talked quite a bit about whole30 and he even took down the website to look at it further.

M1:  3 fried eggs, sweet potato hash with mushrooms, onions, peppers

M2:  roasted chicken, raw veggies (asparagus, snap peas, red bell pepper, cucumber) with creamy asparagus dressing

M3:  Kalua Pig with red cabbage and apple

Day 15

I slept soundly last night but have woken up feeling like I could go back to bed. My mom is coming over today and we are going grocery shopping this morning so I will hold off and take a nap this afternoon. What happened to all the energy I had last week?

I am starting a stretch of night shifts tonight - in fact my schedule for the next couple of weeks is going to be brutal. I am so looking forward to the summer and a vacation!

Running a little bit low on veggies, but have plenty of meat in the fridge. I wanted something a little bit different this morning so tried this "pumpkin pie in two minutes" recipe I found on thepaleomama.com. I know it is pretty close to a paleofied dessert, but I made it without the crust or the sugar. Since it wasn't sweet, it didn't feel like dessert, but rather more of a soufflé. Nice, quick change of pace. I did add a small amount of coconut manna on top - my reintroduction to coconut - wish me well!

M1: 3 eggs fried in ghee, pumpkin "soufflé" with coconut butter

I am saddened....  so upset....  a little angry....  and have a serious case of "why me" and "it's not fair".

I cannot eat coconut.  Remember the coconut butter on my pumpkin this am?  Yeah?  Well, so does my gut....  hours later I still don't feel good - crampy and tender - all from less than a tablespoonful of coconut butter.  *sigh*

So, I have moved my beloved coconut butter, the coconut oil, the flaked coconut and the cans of coconut milk to a shelf in my pantry labeled "Do Not Eat".  Then I started thinking about all the things that I wouldn't be able to have in the future:  paleo brownie bites, curry sauces, and so on and so one (I really don't want to write them all down because I will just start crying again....). 

But, its time to pick myself up and remind myself that I am doing this because I am tired of being fat, unhappy, unhealthy and hurting all the time.  I am doing this because I want to take better care of myself.

M2:  (more of a snack)  roasted chicken, guac, baby carrots

M3:  Kalua pig with red cabbage and apples, steamed broccoli and asparagus

M4:  egg scramble with sausage, onion, peppers, mushrooms and spinach - topped with spicy guac

Day 16

I didn't sleep very well today.  Home and in bed at 800.  (I was actually in bed by 730 the first time around - the dogs had escaped the front yard and were running the woods, so I didn't have to deal with them this am.  However, they decided to come home at 745 - so I was up, making them breakfast and refilling the water bowl as they drank it all - guess they were running the woods most of the night!).  I only slept until 1145, and then just couldn't get back to sleep.  I did lay in the bed resting until 230, just hoping for sleep to come.  Finally decided that it was time to get up and fill in the hole the dogs had dug under the fence so I wouldn't have escapee's again in the morning.  Packed my bag and was back to work again.  I did really well for the first part of my shift, but now that it is almost midnight, I am starting to feel sleepy.

Since tomorrow is my long day (church in the morning after working all night) I made double meals as I packed for tonight.  In other words, I brought one set of meals to work with me and there is another set in the fridge waiting for tomorrow.  I did run by the grocery store on my way to work to pick up some ghee.  I so wanted to pick up a back of chips - even found some that might have been "compliant" - sweet potato and beets cooked in sunflower/canola oil.  I actually carried them down the aisle, then I put them back.  I don't know it if is carry over from the "woe is me" episode I had yesterday, or just the devil trying to make me cheat, but I was sorely tempted :wacko: Since I didn't get the chips, and I really was hungry and in a little bit of a rush I picked up a "larabar" type thing - made with dates, cherries and pumpkin seeds.  I only at half of it - way to sweet - but it seems to curb my desire to give up and give in.  But now that I think about it, I really wish I had a handful of those chips! 

Snack:  half an organic fruit/seed bar

M1:  Spaghetti squash with hamburger and sausage, tomatoes and olives with classico spaghetti sauce

M2:  chicken, avocado, steamed broccoli (w/salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar) and proscuitto wrapped asparagus, dill pickle slices

M3:  3 proscuitto egg cups, baby carrots, blueberries.

I am now trying to gear up for the rest of my week.  I knew that 6 nights in a row followed immediately by a day shift was going to be rough, but have now found out that I have to teleconference on monday from 10am-12noon and again on wednesday from 10am-11am.  Why "administration type people" think that "night shift type people" can do this is beyond me.

I'm sorry about the coconut butter - it is such a treat. I might be ruling out coconut milk - i think it has made me a little sick. I'm going to try just a little bit with breakfast tomorrow to see how I feel. 

You are doing great though! Good luck with your week :)

I have mention here, on my log, and in several others posts across the forum about my problems with coconut.  As I was answered a post from a fellow logger, I realized that I ought to also write out my thought here, on my own log.  This is the reply that I made to questions about my problems with coconut:

I think that I have talked a little bit more about my coconut issues on my whole30 log more than in other posts.  I have been Eating fairly well for many years now (even ate vegetarian for a few years), but with some relapses into "junk food" when life just seems to get out of hand.  One thing that I learned is that even if you are "vegetarian" or follow some other kind of "calorie restricted diet", you can still eat mostly junk and be "compliant".  In 2009, in spite of trying to eat "better" and diet, I was not losing weight, and had a number of different gut issues.  I was sure I had IBS or Krohn's, or something along those lines.  When I started having trouble swallowing, I finally went to my doctor.  Afte much blood work and other tests, I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis.  A big fancy word for "you entire gut is inflamed".  This sent me off to have allergy testing done.  Although I didn't have a life threatening reaction to soy, it was a big enough reaction to make the doctor very concerned.  I also had a flare up with tree nuts.  The way the doctor described it was:  never eat soy.  You may be able to tolerate small amount of tree nuts with minor problems on occassion. 

I know from the past that I do feel better when I stay away from soy.  Living in a processed world makes staying away from soy a challenge.  Sure, its healthier to make your own salad dressing, but it is much easier to walk into a store and buy some.  No matter what you get, it often has (hydrolized) soy protein or soy lecithin, it not straight out soybean oil.  Trying to stay vegetarian and avoid all soy was also a problem.  I found that as long as I stayed away from "most" of it, I felt better - and tolerated minor GI upsets most of my life.  That's the thing with this type of allergy - it is not seen as quickly as reactions such as hives, or difficulty breathing.  When that is your reaction, you have much greater incentive to stay away. 

Being on the whole30 and eating clean, healthy, whole foods has made me realize how much soy I was really getting in my diet.  I think that even the small amounts that I had before was masking my reactions to nuts.  So, when I started eating more coconut (ie tree nut), I began to have bloating, gut tenderness, and general not feeling well reactions.  Perhaps I noticed them more when I reintroduced coconut as a trial because I was looking for them.

After some initial weeping and wailing and "why me", I have come to realize that it is not the end all, be all of life to give up coconut.  At first, I was ready to give away everything that I had in my house pertaining to coconut.  Now, I am realizing that maybe, someday, I might be able to have some small amounts of coconut here and there - especially when I want to quickly sear some vegetables on high heat. 

You are right that when the natural balance of good and bad bacteria in our gut can cause problems.  I am hoping that as I take better care of myself and can restore that natural balance, I might be able to tolerate more.  I am still using my coconut oil/baking soda toothpaste with no difficulties - maybe because I am spitting most of it out :)  I will look into the MCT oil some more - I am now not totally ruling it out.  Perhaps, because it is more refined, I will tolerate it better since the refining process removes the proteins that cause the reactions.  I am going to try to find a very small jar of it to start with. 

Living with food allergies can be a very difficult thing.  It is even harder when it is a food you really enjoy eating! 

Day 17

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms - physical, adoptive, spiritual or future -  out there! For those whose mom is not with them any longer, for those who have lost a child - my prayers are with you on this day. 

A fairly routine day for me today:  finished work, went to church, in bed by noon and got 6 hours of sleep!  Woohoo!

I was hungry when I went to bed, realizing that my last meal didn't have any fat in it (other than the proscuitto), so I wasn't surprised.  Its wasn't a "I have to eat and I have to eat now" kind of hunger, so I didn't take the time to eat anything.  I figured if I was hungry enough to be kept awake, I would eat.  As it was, I think I fell asleep about 5 min after hitting the bed!

My 16yo daughter came home in the middle of the day with a half dozen roses for me.  My initial thought was to be upset that she woke me up - but I got all gooey when I saw what she had!  It makes me feel even more special when my kids come to see me when it is their dads weekend!

Meals today:  same as yesterday, but I am adding some guac to that last meal - maybe I won't be so hungry when I go to bed in the morning!

Snack:  apple

M1:  Spaghetti squash with hamburger and sausage, tomatoes and olives with classico spaghetti sauce

M2:  chicken, avocado, steamed broccoli (w/salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar) and proscuitto wrapped asparagus, dill pickle slices

M3:  3 proscuitto egg cups, baby carrots, blueberries and guac

Day 18

I think that the only way that I can keep track of what day I am on if from the daily emails!  As I was reading mine today, I was wondering what I will do when my whole30 is done....  It's nice to have that daily morning reminder to stay on track!

I made it home and in bed by 8am this morning - totally blowing off the "mandatory" teleconference from 10-12 today.  (Hmmm... wonder what my manager will say....)  I figured that sleep was more important.  The downside is that I only slept for 4.5 hours, waking up (again) at 1230 and not being able to get back to sleep.  I thought about getting up and going for a walk, but I am tired....  the eye burning, can't quite pry my eyelids open kind of tired - but still can't get to sleep.....  

M1:  kalua pork, mashed rutabaga with ghee, asparagus

Snack:  pear

M2:  mild italian sausage links, sauteed spinach mushrooms and onions cooked in olive oil, pumpkin souffle

M3:  4 SB eggs, sweet potato hash with onion, bell peppers and mushrooms

When I got to work tonight, one of our patients had brought in 3 dozen cupcakes and an assortment of chocolate covered popcorn, pretzels, etc.  Sitting in the midst of all that were 3 pears.  I bypassed all the sugary stuff and snatched up one of the pears - a treat for myself :)

Day 19

Well, I broke down and did it - I just couldn't face another day with only four hours of sleep, so I took a couple of sleeping pills.... which netted me 7 hours. Not so bad.

Had the most exciting news today! I had shared my whole30 story, including my doctor visit, with my aunt. We have been on weight loss, healthy eating adventures together before now. I got an email from her - she has bought the book ISWF and is excited about making some changes! I was so excited!

M1: 4 eggs, sweet potato veggie hash, baked tomatoes. blueberries, guac
M2: kalua pig, rutebaga, asparagus, beet slices
M3: roasted chicken thigh, baby carrots and snap peas, olives, homemade ranch dipping sauce

Only four hours of sleep again today.  I know that I need more, however I am feeling pretty good.  It is the thought of such little sleep that bothers me the most.  I am surprisingly awake all night at work, not drowsy at all (at least until about 6 am, but its easy to push through that last hour).  This afternoon, I was awake enough to clean the house a little bit, then spent a little more time than usual foraging through the kitchen to figure out what I wanted to eat tonight.  The dogs and I went outside to fill in the hole they had dug under the fence (again) to get out and hunt rabbits.  When the beagle gets out, I know she will find her way home - but am not too sure about the poodle mix.  Fortunately, the seem to be sticking together when they go roaming.

Meals tonight are a bit of a repeat of the last couple of nights - and a bit of eclectic mix up.  I need to go to the grocery store - am out of so many things, but at the same time, I have plenty to eat.  Meat is getting a little bit on the lower side - all thats left is a little bit of the kalua pig and a couple pieces of chicken.  I might have a little bit of something in the freezer that I may have to pull out.  Unless I go grocery shopping after work tomorrow, it won't happen until saturday.  However, tomorrow is my one meal day (hopefully will have enough waking hours to also get in a mini meal - we'll see, so I should make it until saturday.  I really hope I do because I want to hit the farmers market instead of the grocery store!

M1:  3 SB eggs, huac, sweet potato "cakes", roasted tomato, blueberries

M2:  kalua pig, roasted asparagus and carrots drizzled with olive oil, green cabbage with onion and bacon cooked in ghee, butternut squash with ghee

M3:  roasted chicken thigh, SB egg, carrots and snow peas with homemade ranch to dip, proscuitto wrapped pears pan fried in ghee.

Day 21

I didn't get home from work today until almost 10am.....  Today is my "short day" where I rotate back to living in the daytime.  Usually, I sleep until about 2, then get up for a few hours and am back in bed by 8pm.  Not sure how today is going to work out.  I got in, fed the dogs, changed into my pjs and then laid in the bed for about 15 min.  Now I am back up because I have gotten my second wind and am wide awake.  So, I thought I'd update my post, and stalk the forum for a few minutes before trying again to go to sleep.    

The exciting thing this week is that so many people have suddenly noticed and commented about the weight that I am losing.  (Sad that it takes 35+ pounds for that to happen....)  Makes me feel good!  :D

Have a good day everyone!

Well, its crazy how awake I am feeling.  Usually after a six night stretch I am ready to go to bed well before 8.  It is now passed 11 and I am just starting to head to the bed.  Was seriously thinking about going to the gym about 10pm!  I decided that I should probably go to bed and try to sleep and then hit the gym in the morning.  I know that it is very difficult to stay on any kind of schedule when I rotate days and nights at work.  I am trying hard to keep that in mind while trying to compare how I am feeling now compared to perhaps a month ago.  

I actually got two meals in today since I have been up since about 230pm.  The fridge is looking a little bit bare but some things worked out and I don't have to work day shift tomorrow!  Off for three whole days!  I can't begin to tell you how excited I am.  It is also my DD's 16th birthday this weekend - Happy Birthday to her!

M1:  leftover sweet potato veggies cakes, 4 fried eggs

M2:  leftover cabbage and onions, 2 roasted chicken thighs, baby carrots and guac

Day 22 - I can't quite believe I am in the home stretch!

Slept well last night - and back to my old pattern of waking up at 545am! I went to bed about 11pm, so that gave me about 6 1/2 hours of sleep. Wasn't quite feeling the level of energy I had last night, so I didn't make it to the gym this morning. I went shopping instead. I almost think that takes more energy!

After getting to the grocery store, a kitchen store (for a spiralizer - I think I am going to love this gadget), and the butcher, I was home to cook. I started a slow cooker bone broth, put chicken in to brine and put the spice rub together for The Best Chicken You'll ever Eat (WF), made Sunrise spice (WF), Moroccan Dipping Sauce (WF), made a batch of ghee (can't believe how easy this is - and after buying Kerrygold butter from the grocery, found that my butcher carries pastured organic butter), a batch of Better Butter (WF2), and sweated some zucchini noodles.

By that time, my DD was home and we needed to go pick up her friend to spend the weekend. It is her 16th birthday on Sunday. For them, I picked up pizzas on my way home. Wow, did they smell good - but I was surprised that I really wasn't craving it. When we got home, I was quite hungry - I knew that lunch wasn't big enough but I was eating in the midst of all my cooking. I made a quick dinner of shrimp scampi with zoodles (oh my goodness, they were goooood!) and a pumpkin soufflé with the last of my pumpkin. I realized after I made it that I was going to use it to make dog biscuits tonight - guess they will have to have sweet potato instead of pumpkin. :)

Tonight, after I finish dinner, I am going to head back into the kitchen. Tomorrows dinner is spaghetti and meatballs (DD request), so I have lots of meatballs to make! I am hoping to also put some hamburgers together to freeze so that I can grill them later in the week, make some sausage, and some salmon cakes. Also on the agenda is ketchup (WF2), mayo (WF) and dog treats. If I have time, I am going to make some deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste and body lotion since I am running low on those.

M1: huge 3 egg omelet with spinach, onion, asparagus, bell pepper, with salsa and guacamole on top

M2: smoked salmon with mayo, baby carrots

M3: shrimp scampi with zoodles, pumpkin soufflé

--------------------------------

Kicked out of the kitchen by my DD claiming "birthday privileges" to make brownies. They are about the only "sweet" thing that I can't pass up. She made them from scratch with gourmet hot coco mix and ghiradelli chocolate chips in them. I wasn't even tempted. As I was cooking we were all watching "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives". Usually I want to eat everything that was shown. Tonight, all I could think about was how sick I would fell if I did eat that kind of stuff. Amazing. But I know from past experience that all it would take would be one bite and I'd be craving that kind of food again.

Anyway, I didn't finish my cooking so I will be back in the kitchen again tomorrow.

Day 23

A very busy day!  Last night I didn't head to bed until 11 - had cleaned up the kitchen by 10pm, but the kids started to chat with me and I never give up those precious moments of teenagers wanting to talk with their mom.  After I was in bed, a friend called and we ended up chatting until after 12.  By then I was awake - I think my body thought I was back on night shift time!  Last time I looked at the clock, it was 108am.  Must have fallen asleep then because it was 545 (I am really beginning to hate that time) the next time I saw the clock.  I managed to get back to sleep until about 730 - how nice that was.

I had an early morning appointment to get my yard treated from fleas and ticks - the ticks are really bad around here this year.   Then headed off to the farmers market where I bought lots of herb plants for the back yard herb garden.  I really love the spring and summer when I can go out and clip my own herbs - talk about fresh.  My sage, chives, oregano and fennel came back.  Of course I have the rosemary and thyme all year around.  I bought a bunch of parsley, dill, chocolate mint, orange mint and some more chive plants for the pots on the deck.  Of course I had to get some hanging basket of flowers to brighten things up too.

I made it home just in time to pick up DD and her friend and get them to their photo shoot for DD's birthday.  These two are so photogenic (and I am not at all biased  :P ) and hammed it up for the camera.  What I thought was going to take about an hour took 2 1/2!  We had just enough time to get them to the movie they wanted to see.  This led me way passed lunch time (oddly, I wasn't hungry), and I don't think I have ever seen a movie without popcorn in my lap.  To keep myself from giving in to temptation, I stopped at a store very quickly and picked up a small bag of pork rinds.  By the ingredient list, it is compliant - I just don't know if it is permissible.  I couldn't find any veggies to eat also, so it had to do on its own.  I threw the bag, and a couple bottle of water in my purse and snuck them into the theater.  After we left the movie theater, we stopped by the Relay for Life event that I had promised a friend I would meet her at.  The kids  ended up getting Beach Fries crab cake sandwich and fries for dinner.  That didn't bother me too much - I so much more wanted the deep fried key lime pie that they make!  But I didn't!  Actually, I didn't even crave it.  As I walked around watching so many people whose lives had been touched by cancer eating such processed food (deep fried oreos (and other stuff), italian ices, ice cream, cotton candy, - all they typical "junk" food) I began to think about how much of the stuff we put into our bodies is causing the sicknesses we have and the way we feel.  Last year - heck, last month even, I would have been right there in the middle of the crowd "enjoying" myself - and paying the price later that night - without any hesitation.  I was talking to a friend about a big family reunion trip I have coming up in July, and a retreat in Aug.  I am beginning to think that I will need to pack a lot of my own food.  I know I am going to have to field a lot of questions.  I don't want to "offend" anyone by not eating their cooking (each family group is going to cook for everyone one night we are at the lodge).  On the retreat, I am going to need to take my own food into the dining hall.  My mind is going back and forth - should I eat my own food and feel good, or just "give in" with some boundaries, and risk feeling sick.  

Anyway....  We didn't end up getting home until almost 8pm.  I still wasn't hungry, but knew that I had to eat.  I popped some meatball that I had made yesterday into the sauce to warm when I saw the bone broth still simmering away in the crock pot.  That HAD to be dealt with. I pulled out the bones and dumped everything else into a colander.  Then, I didn't know quite what to do with all the veg.  There were actually some hunks of meat and some fat still in there (the bones the butcher gave me still had a fair amount of meat around the knuckle) along with the marrow from the marrow bone.  As I stared at it, I suddenly realized I had dinner!  Oh my goodness it was delicious!

So now, it is 9pm.  I am going to finish this up and head for bed.  Late church tomorrow so I will get to sleep in again!

M1:  3 egg sausage omelet with salsa and guac

M2:  pork rinds

M3:  Veg and meat left from the bone broth

Karen, I haven't been following all of your posts, but I just popped in to see how you are doing and I just want to give you a BIG pat on the back for a job well done!  You sound super busy with your job, teenagers, single mom, and you are doing so well with all of this food, all of these potential temptations in your way, making your own deodorant, etc, too...  You are an inspiration.  :)  Keep up the great work, sister!  I think you've found your new lifestyle. No more "diets" for you!  ;)

Karen, I haven't been following all of your posts, but I just popped in to see how you are doing and I just want to give you a BIG pat on the back for a job well done!  You sound super busy with your job, teenagers, single mom, and you are doing so well with all of this food, all of these potential temptations in your way, making your own deodorant, etc, too...  You are an inspiration.   :)  Keep up the great work, sister!  I think you've found your new lifestyle. No more "diets" for you!   ;)

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement!  I think I have found a new lifestyle too!  I have decided that I am definitely making this a whole60 - then see where things go from there. All I know is that right now, if I start the reintroduction, I think it will take me right back on the fast track to miserable eating again.  I have some big summer trips coming up and I am seriously beginning to think about how to make them work with my food.  

No more "diets" for me!!!!!

Day 24

With only 5 more days left on the whole30, I have made the decision to continue for a whole60.  (I wonder how I can change the title of my topic to reflect that?)  I am feeling so good right now.  I really don't have any cravings - at all.  This weekend has proven that to me.  (DD's brownies are still sitting on the kitchen counter and I haven't even had a crumb!)   

Plan for the next whole30:

1.  weigh and measure myself on day 30 of this round - just to see where I am.  I am not looking for any specific numbers.  I am so happy with the way my body is feeling!

2.  start exercising more - get to the gym or go on a hike at least twice a week.  I have noticed in the logs that those who exercise have better results in the visual body changes.

3.  make at least one new recipe each week

4.  try my best to get my kids to eat better too!  (this might be the hardest one - if you have little kids, start now!  It is so much harder to changed the dietary habits of teenagers - especially ones who work in the fast food industry)

Today wasn't quite as busy as the rest of the weekend has been.  I got a total of 9 hours of sleep.  We had a late start to church today which gave me a couple of hours to sleep in  -_- and boy did I enjoy them.  From church, I took DD to scouts at Sweet Frog (a frozen yogurt bar with tons of candy condiments and syrups to put on it) where I treated DS to "ice cream"....  I took one look at his and turned away.  I can't say I didn't want it - especially when I noticed they had key lime and cheesecake flavors....  but I didn't crave it and didn't have to talk myself out of it.  DS and I came home - DD was being brought home by her scout leader - and we both crashed.  I haven't had  an afternoon nap in a couple of weeks.  I know that it was just my body catching up from shortened sleeping hours this week and a busy weekend.  What surprised me was this:  Usually, I would go to bed as we got home from church (about 430pm) and sleep through until I woke - mostly around 2 or 3 am.  This always threw me out of whack for the next day...  Today, I slept for about an hour and then woke up ready to face the evening.  I spent an hour and a half in the garden planting all the herb I bought at the farmers market on saturday in the post on the deck and cleaned up the garden.  I still haven't decided what I am going to plant in the garden, but after my lunch today, I am thinking that I will definitely have to plant cucumbers  :D !  I am also thinking about some zucchini.  Tomatoes don't seem to do well - I think the deer or raccoons keep eating them just before they get ripe.  Bell peppers did well last year so maybe come more of those.  Last year, I waited until late in the planting season and bought half-dead seedlings for 75% off - I think all but one survived - a pretty good deal.  

After gardening, DD came to me with a Jersey Mike's coupon for her birthday, so she drove us there, got her sandwich and we came home.  My dinner was NOT Jersey Mikes.  Personally, I think mine was better  :P

M1:  4 egg salad with guac/mayo, banana, carrot sticks - DD and her friend were asleep so I didn't wake them by cooking

M2:  best chicken you'll ever eat chicken breast topped with moroccan dipping sauce (WF) with cucumber salad.  

I have to explain the cucumber salad.  As you know, I bought a spiralizer this weekend.  I spiraled up 2 cucumbers and added blanched, chopped asparagus.  Then I added a couple of spoonfuls of moroccan dipping sauce and mixed it together.  Oh my goodness gracious...  it was delicious!  I am only wishing I had bought more cucumbers at the farmers market.

M3:  spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce and meatballs

I am looking forward to getting back to a "regular" day tomorrow.  This weekend has been busy, crazy and has caught me in unexpected situations.  I have remained compliant, but in the face of many, many temptations.  There is a scripture that has been in my head all weekend:  1 Cor 10:23  "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial.  Everything is permissible, but not everything is edifying."  If I want to give my best to God, and to my family, I have to be the best me that I can be.  If I put junk into my body, I will not be at my best.  If I want my kids to eat better and be healthier, how can I model that if I don't follow what I am preaching?  This scripture has kept me on track in my weakest moments.

Day 26

Not exactly sure what is going on today - my tiger blood is no longer.....  I slept right through until the alarm at 620am (about 8 hours).  Once I got the kids off to school and I at some breakfast, I returned to bed.  I thought I'd be able to get back to sleep, but by 8am was still awake.  I decided to get my day going.  A quick clean up of the kitchen and I was off to the dump.  From there to the gym.  I really was not feeling the workout today - especially at the beginning.  I powered through and was feeling pretty good after about 30 minutes.  I did shorten my intervals on the treadmill since I wasn't feeling the energy.  By 50 minutes, I was DONE.  I eeked out another 5 and gave up.  I felt aweful! - kept feeling dizzy and foggy.  2 baby food packs and 1/4 pound meat with 4 bottles of water and I was almost back to feeling like myself.  I have got to remember to have a starchy veg for breakfast if I am going to work out!

After the gym, I headed to the bank, then the county treasurer to pay my taxes.  Next stop grocery store for more cucumbers and zucchini for the spiralizer - I am loving that thing!  Finally made it home about 1pm.  I cooked up a couple of meals to take to work with me tonight, cleaned up the kitchen (again)  - realized I hadn't eaten yet this afternoon so had a quick snack and decided to go to bed.  I slept hard for 3 hours! 

Now I am up and my work day has started.  Fortunately it will only be one night, then back to day shift later this week, then a stretch of nights over the weekend.

M1:  spinach and mushrooms sauteed, 2 eggs, last of the kalua pig with moroccan dipping sauce over it, strawberries

One note about the strawberries:  No matter how sweet strawberries were, I always put sugar on them.  Today, I just knew these were going to be good - it is peak of season, they were small and very dark red.  I bit into one - it was so sweet I almost couldn't eat it!  Yummy goodness!  I realized even more how my taste buds have changed when one of the kids asked for sugar for their strawberries because "they aren't very sweet"!

PWO:  2 containers pumpkin/squash/sweet potato baby food, 1/4 pound roast beef slices, 4 bottles water

M2:  baby carrots with guacamole, proscuitto

at work:

M3:  green cabbage, carrot ribbon and onion stir fry with andouille sausage

M4:  best chicken ever (WF) with cucumber noodle/asparagus salad all covered with moroccan dipping sauce.

Karen, really sorry to hear you weren't feeling well today for your workout.  :(   May I ask, are you new to working out, and what sort of things are you doing?  It sounds like it was pretty strenuous.  

My two cents:  On days when you aren't feeling your best, just WALK.  Jason Seib (of Everyday Paleo podcasts) is REALLY big on walking.  Can't say enough good things about it.  I figure I'd have to walk about 4 miles per day to get around 10,000 steps in... and I get nowhere close to that.  

Another cent (lol):  I would actually go the other way and not have any carbs for breakfast at all.  The strawberries first thing in the morning can get that sugar-burning cycle started, when you want your body to be tapping into your fat stores for energy.  They recommend pre-workout meal of just protein & fat.  Maybe try that next time and see how you do.  I just have 2 eggs scrambled in a little ghee on workout days.  

& REALLY cool about the strawberries tasting so sweet to you -- that is a really good sign!  :D  You are on a roll!

Karen, really sorry to hear you weren't feeling well today for your workout.   :(   May I ask, are you new to working out, and what sort of things are you doing?  It sounds like it was pretty strenuous.  

I am not new to working out - just havent been able to very much for the last several months due to work schedule.  Lately, my work out has only been on the treadmill - 5-10min warmup, 20 min walking backwards, 5 min slow walk recovery, 20 min at 15% incline, 5 min recovery then jogging or sprint intervals for 10 min with 5 min warm down.  Last fall I went on a hike through Scotland (West Highland Way and Great Glen Way) with my parents.  I was able to walk about 75% of it.  Once my work schedule lightens up, I am hoping to get some really good long hikes back under my belt.

I will have to get my pedometer back out.  I used to average 9-10,000 steps a day - on hike days I would hit >20,000.  Always felt good then! 

I will try next time to not have the carbs - saving them for later in the day.  I have really been watching my fruit intake since it can be a swypo kind of thing for me.  The strawberries just looked so good at the farmers market this weekend :P

Day 27

I cannot believe the W30 is almost done - it has FLOWN by!

Today has been a "short" day - slept 8-noon after working overnight. Toodled around the house this afternoon watering the plants on the back deck and basically cleaning up the last of the mess I made the other day. I have several more pots and flower beds to fill, as well as the garden. I have decided to plant cukes and zucchini since I am loving the spiralizer so much! Maybe some bell peppers as well.... I guess we'll see when I get to the store and see what seedling they have left.

We had an early supper since my DS has his last high school band concert tonight. I can't believe my baby boy is graduating! Also, by the time they came home from school I was hungry! We had grilled burgers (so happy grilling season has started!) topped with fried sweet potato strings (thanks to physibeth's log and instructions).

I am hoping to get in a mini meal when I get back from DS's concert. I know it will be a bit late, but that's ok.

On a positive note: my aunt and I are very much alike. We both struggle with our weight. If you name the diet, we have been on it. As I have been on the journey, I have been sharing with her how I have been doing and feeling. She has become very interested in the w30, and bought the book to read. She is not quite ready to do a "true" w30, as she is still studying the book - she has been applying each "no" as she reads about it so she has adopted many of the tenets of the program. We talked today and she told me she has lost 12 pounds over the first week - and much of that is while traveling! Kudo's to her for a great start. We talked a lot about how the whole30 is not about weight loss, but about feeling better about yourself and eating healthy. I could attest to feeling better - and she is now noticing those rewards too!

M1: grilled hamburger, lettuce leaves to wrap it in, tomato, WF mayo and ketchup, sweet potato shoestrings

M2:  3 egg omelet with sausage and veggie hash inside, salsa and guacamole on top

Archived