Older athlete - running out of gas while playing tennis matches

chriskrus

I am on day 18 of my first whole 30. I have been crabby, lack energy and feel like I'm missing something in my body (not all bad). My stomach feels empty when I play tennis which is good. My clothes don't feel any looser (drat). I am a 65 year old female who loves to play competitive tennis, swim, hike, bike, kayak, ski, etc basically I enjoy exercising out doors. Recently, after a breakfast of 3 eggs and mucho veggies, I find I'm running out of energy after the first set of my tennis matches (they may last 3 sets). I've started munching on almonds; however, I still feel at least a "quart low." I normally use Emergen-C however that has sugar in it. - Any suggestions? I'm probably eating too many nuts as these tend to fill me up and I'm definitely craving fruit and before the whole30 I only used stevia - don't know what gives here either. thanks, chris

It is normal to feel low on energy especially during athletic performance during the first couple of weeks our your Whole30. Especially if you were throwing sugar at it before. Your body is adjusting to learn to use fat stores for energy instead of the constant stream of sugar and carbs. That said, some people go way too low carb on their Whole30. If you are very active it is important to make sure you are eating starchy vegetables during the day especially after you work out. If you posted a couple of days of your food log with times and where your exercise falls in the timescale we could probably give you some suggestions on what to tweek when.

Archived