Super Emotional

I have made two starts on w30 and derailed on day 5 on the first and day 4 on the second. I had read that I could expect some ups and downs the first week or so, but what I was experiencing was an excruciating sense of despair. I did have more energy by day 5, but the mood thing was awful.

I'm committing  to restarting and making it through the whole 30 days beginning May 5th. (Dear friends are getting married May 3rd, which is my own wedding anniversary! I'm having the champagne.)

I'm thinking of the time between now and then as "practice", so I can ease into my next run at this. 

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, do you have advice on foods that could be contributing to the poor mood? Foods I can eat to alleviate the poor mood? Or do I just have to grit my teeth and get through this? 

I think I can do that if I know it's going to end.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

Janet

I would be really careful about this. Sometimes people unintentionally go very low carb while doing the whole30, and this can impact mood. Take a look at your starch consumption and make sure you are getting a good amount of starchy veggies every day, even every meal, and see if that helps you feel better.

I have found eating 3 pieces of fruit a day in the first week (ie a piece with each meal) helps the detox and carb flu symptoms and mood and in the second week I seem to naturally revert to only one serve a day if that.

Some people need sweet potato or carrot or squash etc with every meal or every day to feel good, others are fine without so experiment to see what your carb requirements are...

Thank you both for your thoughts. I'm from the Atkins generation, and while Atkins never worked terribly well for me, it's pretty easy for me to fall into having only protein at a meal. 

In the next week I'm going to work on some breakfasts that include more than eggs and a banana. 

The thought of vegetables at breakfast is not terribly appealing to me. 

Suggestions?

The thought of vegetables at breakfast is not terribly appealing to me. 

Suggestions?

Yes...just do it.  :) It took me about a week to get used to zucchini for breakfast. Now it's just what I do.

Same here, I got into veg for breakfast about a week in to my first whole30 about 18 months ago and now I rarely have a meal without any.

Apart from cooked tomato, mushrooms and spinach with bacon and eggs, or frittatas, I got into a variety of soups with chopped cooked meat added (purees were a good start as it reminded me a bit of porridge on a cold winters morning), then graduated to chicken and sweet potato curries with other veg, left over stir fries and my go to of ground turkey cooked with grated zucchini, spinach, carrot, sweet potato to which I sometimes add blueberries, cinnamon, eggs, raisins etc. Its wonderfully freeing being able to eat any meal you like any time once you break the convention of cereal or toast or yoghurt for breakfast

Hi Janet,

I am just coming to the end of my first ever whole30, but I have done lots of giving up carbs cold turkey.  It is always easy the first couple days, but day 3 and 4 - I am ready to kill everyone that comes into view.  The best thing that helped me (and I see you are taking it into account too with your plans to wait until after the wedding) was to KNOW that it's coming and also to remember that it goes away if I can just hang on through those couple of really tough days.  So, I picked the best 30 day span in my calendar I could find and went with the month of April.  

So:  1)  Plan out the best possible 30 days.

2)  KNOW that those days (4th and 5th for you) are coming and will be tough.

3)  Get lots of veggies (starchy ones too) into every meal.

4)  KNOW that it will pass and HANG ON!  

You can do it if you want it badly enough.  I'm rooting for you!  

Jill

Breakfast continues to be a struggle for me as well. I think years of eating sweet, sugary breakfasts has left me without a taste for savory foods first thing in the morning. However I have found that sweet potato hash seasoned with adobo (along with fried eggs, avocado, etc) is very appealing at breakfast time. This is my go-to veggie on mornings that I just can't stomach any others.

You guys rock! Thank you for the suggestions. In the coming week, I'm going to start shopping and prepping so I can hit the ground running on the 5th. I really do want to get through this. Thanks, Jill, for letting me know that it DOES pass. 

One thing a friend of mine told me was to bake fritattas in muffin pans on a Sunday, then eat them during the week. It'll be pretty easy to incorporate some vegetables with the eggs and bake them.

Thanks!

TingZilla -----

I am on my first whole30, currently on day 7 (the hangover)

I definately hit "I want to kill all of the things" a day early and it stuck around, I felt miserable, I was crying and had an extremely short temper with my loved ones after it had been stretched with work colleaugues. It. is. hard. work. but I now feel a lot better, I am still tired and get a little grouchy at times but I am only on day 7 and the days seem to be going relatively fast too. But definately know that it does pass, and you are not reacting in some ungodly manner by being over emotional.

I do find, like it has been said, that sweet potato or starchy carbs really do help, so far I have noticed that on the days I don't have any s/pot, I am a little less energetic and understanding!

Veggies for breakfast is great. Frittata is definitely the way to go at first, within all that eggy goodness the vegetables are just hidden in tehre and you can literally throw in anything you want. Spinach and Kale are my favourite vegetables to try and include at breakfast time :) sweet potato hash...I cna vouch for that one too!

enjoy!

Archived