Down the fast track... what a ride!

veromama

So... I'm starting my log on my third day of whole30. I kind of eased myself into the program and started to eat less grains during the week, before I went totally whole30 on friday. So far so good, even though I think my timeline is going super fast...

Day 1: it started great, nothing special, I kept myself to the meal plans. In the morning I got a dinner invitation from a friend and we went (they are Italian, so I knew it would be a pasta dish, but I kept to my chocolate chilli with roasted zuccini YAMM!). My first challenge on the first day. Kaboom!! I did it! I felt good in the evening.

Day 2: I somehow woke up on the wrong side of the bed... already in the mood for kill all the things?? Yep, that was it. I did have a full day that kept my attention away from people offering juice and cookies. I just sticked to my own snacks: shredded carrots, sugar snaps, red pepper and olives. In the evening we did a nice bbq at home with again some friends. But this time I did the cooking, so I made sure there was plenty for me to eat. I made delicious burgers and marinaded some tasty fish for the grill. Also made a huge salad with a mix of greens, carrots, pepper, tomato and olives. At the end of the day I started to have diarrhea... already... And when my friend offered some chocolate cookies, I wanted everyone to die if I couldn't have one. Yep, it was bad, but I did't break.

Day 3: I woke up feeling extremely dizzy. I barely made it to the kitchen without passing out. So I quickly took a banana to get my blood sugar up a little. I ended up eating 2 bananas, a pear, a hard boiled egg, some olives and some beef with a mushroom-carrot sauce I made the day before for breakfast. I know, not really ideal, but it was an emergency. I decided not to eat fruits for the coming day because of this little morning thing. I really had to make myself eat the beef and sauce, because I just started to have an aversion for everything in the fridge. When we went to the supermarket to get some food for our lunch guests (yes, I know... we have guests a LOT) I started to crave veggie soup. Not too bad, right? And I was feeling very happy. We bought white bread and hotdogs, because the kids of our guests barely eat anything else. I kind of ended up eating this mixed veggie soup I made (3 servings...ooooooops....) and I snacked on olives, baby carrots and some nuts I roasted up that morning. I wasn't really hungry for proper dinner, but I ate the other half of the beef from the morning with some green leafy veggie mix. Still a little diarrhea, but it is not too bad... I hope to get out of it soon though. For tomorrow I am going to browse the forum for breastfeeding moms for some tips agains the dizziness. I am breastfeeding a 3 month old, so it is still quite intense. I don't think I have enough on 3 meals a day without something in between.... need to come up with a game plan for that  ;)

• Moderators

When you are breastfeeding or (doing workouts twice a day) you need starchy veggies at most meals - sweet potato, butternut squash, beets, turnips, parsnips, carrots, etc. 

I had some trouble following the story of what you were eating, but I wasn't sure that you ate protein at every meal. You need it. The meal template - http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf - calls for a palm-size portion of meat or a handful of eggs as the foundation of ever meal. Besides the foundation, you need a portion of fat at least as big as your thumb and maybe more and then fill the rest of your plate with veggies. 

While breastfeeding, you may need to eat 4 meals per day and five would not be unheard of. 

Hi Tom, thanks for your tips! I hope my entry didn't make you too grumpy :)

I was trying to steer clear from starchy veggies, for some reason I had the impression that they should be eaten with moderation. I will definitely add more of those. About the meat, I did not have any on day 2 with my lunch. We were on the go and I couldn't find any meat jerky anywhere here. This week I am looking into making my own, because we are a lot on the road in the weekends en usually grab something easy for lunch. I also own a dehydrator that I have been using to make some fruit treats -that I obviously do not touch now- and home-made veggie broth powder.

On day 3 I also had too little protein, with lunch I couldn't get any meat down my throat. That is something I have to pay attention to. As for the fat, I managed to add every meal some extra coconut oil/olive oil and some olives (I love olives!)

Today it's going great again. I made a double portion of baked salmon and a nice big salad with roasted sweet potatoes and ate it in two times, kind of an early and late lunch. So it was 4 meals today and I did feel more satisfied during the day. I only snacked on a couple of slices from the sweet potatoes between the late lunch and dinner. No nuts today either, if I can I avoid eating too much of them as my little boy is having some tummy troubles from some of them (couldn't figure out which one yet)

On to day 5!

So a short check-in with my progress. I am currently on day 7. And it's going good. I did have some bloating and low energy the last days, but it's part of the game. Having read the timeline gives me a great sense of acceptance and patience. I also gained an insight about my snacking. It is not a specific food I crave. It is the act of stuffing my face.... Yesterday I was constantly finding myself in the kitchen in the afternoon, looking for something to munch on. I realized that I was just avoiding doing something I really needed to do but really didn't want to.z as for food that are off limit: I am not missing anything. It really feels like I've finally found the way with my food.

The only downside until now is that I feel Luke I do nothing else but planning and cooking. I would think that I roasted up enough veggies for the next 4 days or so, only to realize it was barely enough for 2days. I also need to do grocery shopping more often. I guess this problem will be solved once I get better in estimating how much we need.

I am also trying to find a source of good meat as the supermarket here has a poor choice and very high prices. And the health store is even more expensive. I just cannot afford that right now.

Day 8: I am very upset :(  I love olives and I really don't like avocado so much, so I was using olives as fat besides coconut oil and olive oil. I was standing in different supermarkets and checking labels. Had to google the E-numbers as they don't always tell what that ingredient is and there are over 1500 E-numbers, so I am not familiar with all of them.

So I was just getting sadder and sadder, because in almost all of them there was something not Whole30 reliant. Until I finally found a brand and happily ate it... but today I looked at the ingredients again as I bought another variation (with piment paprika) and as it turns out I made a mistake!  :( One of the numbers means milk acid! I am just so sad. I also didn't dare to buy any of the olives from the market, because they don't list ingredients anywhere. I could really cry today.

I feel for you. I don't eat any processed food during my whole30. Yes I feel like a slave to the kitchen. I haven't found any compliant packaged food except chicken broth. I don't eat olives, pickles, pre cooked chicken, salad dressings, etc. Even canned tuna can have soy and tea can have soy and stevia. I think this challenge really opens your eyes to all the crap in our food.

Hopefully a moderator will chime in if you need a restart. Although milk does call for a restart, the amount in you olives may not require one. I would keep going and if you end up doing a whole38 so be it. You are a mom, you can do anything! Good luck!

Day 8: I am very upset :(  I love olives and I really don't like avocado so much, so I was using olives as fat besides coconut oil and olive oil. I was standing in different supermarkets and checking labels. Had to google the E-numbers as they don't always tell what that ingredient is and there are over 1500 E-numbers, so I am not familiar with all of them.

So I was just getting sadder and sadder, because in almost all of them there was something not Whole30 reliant. Until I finally found a brand and happily ate it... but today I looked at the ingredients again as I bought another variation (with piment paprika) and as it turns out I made a mistake!  :( One of the numbers means milk acid! I am just so sad. I also didn't dare to buy any of the olives from the market, because they don't list ingredients anywhere. I could really cry today.

According to wikipedia, milk acid is lactic acid. Lactic acid is acceptable on a Whole30, so you're fine: no need to be upset. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8719-lactic-acid/

Thanks for the answers and the encouragement! I was really emotional today about this (maybe it's also something in the air, my boys were a little cranky too ;) ) But I got myself together for dinner and made a nice plate of cauliflower rice, some spiced up ground beef and a nice big salad of greens and mixed veggies. My oldest ate almost everything on his plate  :D

@Tina R: I use only coconut milk, olives and pure tomato sauce that are coming in a can/jar. I already banished most processed foods from our house some time ago (including all kinds of broth mixes as they all have sugar here), but now I am also totally self-reliant on everything on the better-safe-than-sorry note... I love olives and wanted them for the healthy fat. The only thing I buy now in the supermarket besides these is frozen veggies and frozen fish. The pure stuff. Well, if I make a real mistake and need to, I will just go on a week longer, so be it. Especially because I am also doing it for my baby, to make sure he won't be so sensitive to so many things as my oldest one. I wish I knew about this program a couple of years ago. It really does make you look at everything you put in your mouth and I think I was emotional about not being able to find nice clean food. Supermarkets suck  :P

@GFChris: thanks for checking it out. I didn't actually look further about what kind of acid it is, but now I understand that it's not that bad. I just translated it directly, because it is used as "milk acid" in the listing  ^_^

Yay! 

Day 11 and I'm still hanging in here! The weekend was a little bit of a roller coaster ride emotionally. I had 3 days of strange feelings. I was basically depressed! With every now and than a sudden moment of happiness. It was very strange! My husband started to be worried about me, I was also reacting quite rude to his jokes...

And suddenly I barely made it through the supermarket without grabbing something absolutely full of sh#t. I was very tempted, even things that never looked even remotely tasty, suddenly called out to me. But I made it without any slips, I am staying committed to myself and the promise I made myself to become healthy and happy.

Yesterday I started a morning yoga routine, something I wanted to do for a long time. I am always up pretty early with my 3mo, but my 21mo is still sleeping at that time. So instead of being cranky about not being able to sleep longer, I decided to just embrace it and do something for myself. I also did it this morning, so I am proud of myself.

Usually if I start something, I will go on doing it, but starting is just so hard for me!

Physically I feel okay, but I still have the occasional bloating and gas that is quite uncomfortable. I hope to get rid of that soon.

What a week! I had so little time and so many unexpected things, that I just couldn't update my log. Starting the week it seemed like we had a gas leak! I smelled gas after waking up and I quickly dressed up the little ones, opened the widows and called my husband. We turned off the gas for 2days so I couldn't do my weekly cookup. Thank god I did have leftovers and my oven is electric so I improvised. At the end it seemed that there was no leak, everything is sealed, so it remains a mystery as of where the smell came from.

Yesterday we went to a wedding of some friends. It was busy so I could "get away" with not eating cake and only eating salad. Also because I had to take care of my baby, I could excuse myself from the table, so no-one pushed me to eat more.

I stayed with my whole30 program the whole week and only ate compliant food, but I did not manage to use the template at every meal. It is very difficult to properly sit down and eat 4 full meals when a 3mo baby needs to feed and the 21mo toddler is running all over or wants to eat as well. So I grabbed some meat here, ate some veggies or fruits there. I know it's not ideal, but if I start to beat myself up about this too, I will give the whole thing up pretty soon. The whole house is full of stuff I cannot have at the moment, but my husband and son are eating them every day. So I am actually happy that I am strong enough to leave those rice crakers and oatmilk where they are.

Today another challenge, we are invited to a birthday party and I had to bake something gluten- and sugar-free so my oldest can have something too. I made muffins, but I am dreading to make the icing... The ingredients are compliant, except the honey, so I won't have it, but I've never baked or cooked anything without tasting it. It's hard... Oh and this is day 15 for me.

One more thing ;) I made beef jerky this week! I don't know of it should be like it turned out, because I have never had any before, but it's good. And the bloating is pretty much gone, so a big yay for that too.

Day 16: difficult start today. I woke up in a good mood today, but my husband didn't have such a good start of the day. He told me that because of my diet we don't do anything fun together any more and that I'm always reading something and becoming fanatic. He also said that he actually wants to reduce eating meat... The background info for that is that his father had a small hart attack beginning of the year and is now getting things to read from friends that went vegan and cured their health issues like diabetes. He is reading the China study of all books and is getting enthusiastic! I just found out...

The whole morning I was a little bit in shock and basically just wanted to give up and crawl under a blanket with a big plate of the stupid rice crackers and muffins that are laying around in the kitchen. I was really down from my husband's comment and since I didn't actually got the tiger blood yet, I was wondering if this is working for me...

But now I'm back on track I think. Another day is almost finished and I sticked to the program. But there are still plenty of psychological issues to work through when it comes to eating.

The morning of day 18. Yesterday it went a little better. Although we still argued about various things with my husband, I think we resolved the issues by the end of the day.

I started the day with 3 scrambled eggs with big handfuls of raw carrot, a red bell pepper and olives.

By lunchtime we ended up going shopping with a friend and we ate out. I took from the salad buffet, but it was very limited. They had hard boiled eggs and I was very hungry, so took 4 of them, a big heap of green leafy veggies, tomatoes and some precut mix of other veggies. They only had dressings in small commercial packages, not compliant at all, but I've found slices of lemon, so I used that as a dressing. I did miss the olive oil or olives, but there was nothing. In the afternoon I started to have a bad stomach ache. Heartburn kind of pain and lots of pressure where my gallbladder is. I wonder if it was an overdose on eggs or that the veggies were not fresh (at all, since everyone was taking the fries and pastas, if they went to the salad section, they took pasta salad....:P)

At home I ate leftover sweet potato chili and an apple to soothe my stomach. (apples do that for me for some reason)

For dinner I fried up some chicken breast and my husband made a big nice salad. My stomach was better by than, but it still felt a little shaky so I took another apple.

Today a new day, a new week. Hopefully a better one than last week. We do have a dinner invitation for Wednesday that could be awkward. I think I will take my own food to be sure. I don't know if I'm getting better at this, I just still feel a little stupid when I say I do this diet (even though its not a diet). I used to be the person who eats everything, no problem... So it's kind of a personality change for me in that sense.

Oh boy, is it really working out well for me? I feel like I don't need the grains so much (except rice, that I miss) and I didn't eat processed sugars for a couple of months before I heard about paleo and the whole 30. Also we don't use packaged food, just tuna cans and the like, but we like to eat out or eat with friends. And honestly, this 30 days I'm getting a little terrified from the thought of eating other food than what I made myself, because of not knowing for 100% sure what is in it. Is this normal???

Archived