18 days of W30 and fell off the wagon... hard

This is really less of a question and more a confession. I made it 18 solid days of Whole30 and felt better than I have in I don't know how long. Steady energy levels, solid sleep every night, completely eliminated bloating, and then that magical time of the month hit. It never fails, about a week out from starting my period I become ravenous for sweets, namely chocolate. I upped my sweet potato and berry intake but it didn't quiet the monster, and I ended up destroying an entire sleeve of Thin Mints in about 5 minutes. Then I basically ended up on a 5-day sugar and carb bender. Not all meals, but would have one or two really unhealthy meals usually followed by sweets afterward. The fact that I was also traveling for work during this time didn't help. I'm feeling particularly horrible now, as I just got home from a birthday party where I loaded up on mac & cheese and cake.

I know how terrible these binges make me feel, so I don't know why I set myself up to fail nearly every single month. Not to mention this self loathing really isn't helping the general sadness and mopiness I already feel around this time of the month--so I'm probably being overly melodramatic and a little too 'woe is me'. But I'm having a hard time getting past the feeling that all my hard work has been undone by a few days of dumb decisions. I'm starting fresh tomorrow, but am dreading the fact that I have an out-of-town wedding in two weeks so am wondering if I should even bother because I'll probably just get off track again. How do you all stay strong when you're faced with serious cravings and temptations?? I feel like I need to try wearing a rubber band around my wrist and snap myself every time I think about eating something I know my body doesn't need.

Don't beat yourself up. Cravings can be really hard. I don't think all your hard work has been undone. I should be gluten free and dairy free because I feel a little bit better when I eat that way. Unfortunately I don't feel amazing so sometimes I have gluten or dairy. I am also wondering if some of us need a little sweetness in our lives to stay balanced (Ayurveda anyone?). One thing I do is to have a lot of compliant stuff around the house so if I can't deal with the craving at least my snack will be compliant. I also make sure I eat enough carbs with starchy veggies, eat according to the meal planning template so I am not tempted to snack and drink 1/2 my weight in oz of water each day. When I am not doing a whole30 I tend to eat 4 - 5 small meals a day. That just seems to be what my body wants. This last time I tried really hard to eat 3 meals a day but it felt like I was torturing myself and that is no fun. Also I didn't have any benefit at all. I am still searching for the right formula.

If you want to try again I would pick 30 days where you don't have any holiday / celebrations and maybe won't be traveling. Then plan ahead and have tons of options so if you "cheat" you are eating only compliant food. A spoonful of almond butter is better than a spoonful of peanut butter or a plate full of chocolate cake. The first week I stuff myself at each meal, that way I can learn how much I need to eat to stay satisfied between meals. I have learned that stir fried ground meat and veggies keeps me fuller longer than 3 eggs and sweet potato hash. Good Luck!

Yeah, it's all learning. I know it's hard, but try to think of your experience as information rather than failure. Now you know more than you did before. So your period is a major stumbling block; next time, you'll be better prepared (by not having Thin Mints around, for example). If you need to travel, maybe you can go loaded for bear with a suitcase full of pre-prepared Whole30 meals. And when there is a special event coming up, maybe you'll eat up beforehand in case there are no compliant foods there. These forums are full of tips and tricks like these to navigate around almost any possible pitfall; they're a wonderful resource to figure out how to solve problems as they arise  -- and also a great place to yell for help, bitch and whine if you need it, and ask for encouragement when you are desperate for it.

Good luck!

Thank you both for the supportive feedback. That's a great way to frame my setback, it's all a learning experience. I now have the week before my period marked on my calendar with a giant red flag so I know to watch out and be prepared with some compliant indulgences and up my carb intake if the dragon strikes again. The remaining Thin Mints have been donated to my husband's office break room  :) And Tina, I think you're right--I should probably hold off until the end of summer when I have some downtime from weddings and travel. In the meantime I think I'll still do the general framework of W30 but with the understanding that I'll have a few non-compliant moments and am not gonna beat myself up over it anymore! Thank you both again. 

Archived