1/2 marathon fueling?

scolaw

I'm starting tomorrow and have a 1/2 marathon in 3 weeks.  I've read the pre and post

meal suggestions, but how do you fuel DURING the run?  Everything I've looked at (and currently use)

have some type of sugar.

You should think really hard about starting so close to your race - you may feel like absolute rubbish for all of those 3 weeks and have no energy - not the ideal prep!

Re: fuelling during the race, people recommend things like dates (my coach had a go at me about these because there's too much fibre), baby food sachets (same deal with the fibre), and coconut water instead of sports drinks. These are things that you'll need to test on your long runs to see how they go, which gives you maybe one run to try things, as you'll be starting to taper shortly?

Good luck with it! I've got my first half on 18 May - alternately excited and terrified, since I had to pull out of my long run this weekend with an injury (supposed to do 20km, only made it 12...)

• Moderators

You're likely not to have a PR at this race as your body could take that long to fully adapt to using fat as fuel rather than carbohydrates.

But you never know, I had a friend who took to the Whole30 right away and improved her running significantly.

Fueling suggestions - get some compliant sweet potato baby food squeeze packets or make your own (thin with a little water).

Good luck!

@ultrarunnergirl

You're likely not to have a PR at this race as your body could take that long to fully adapt to using fat as fuel rather than carbohydrates.

But you never know, I had a friend who took to the Whole30 right away and improved her running significantly.

Fueling suggestions - get some compliant sweet potato baby food squeeze packets or make your own (thin with a little water).

Good luck!

your blog link is so helpful! thank you!

I have a question related to this... I have a 1/2 marathon coming up (my first) and I was wondering if its okay to not fuel during the race. I have never run anything over 7 or 8 miles, so I may find that I will need something in a longer run, but I have never used anything to fuel me during a run. (Full disclosure: I tried one of the Gu things once and it left me doubled over with SERIOUS stomach cramps, unable to finish my run). 

My stomach is super sensitive, so I guess I'm just scared that fueling mid-run is going to bring more problems than benefits. The only thing I've found myself able to handle pre-run are bananas, so that might be an option mid-run if it's necessary. Due to this, I rarely eat a pre-wo meal, but I always make sure to have a post-wo meal within 30 min containing protein and healthy carbs.

Overall, I usually feel good during my runs and I have never felt like I was missing something, but I guess I always hear people go on and on about what to eat during a run and I'm wondering if maybe I am missing something and don't even know it! Also wondering if perhaps it's harder on my body and it's recovery to not eat mid run? 

cewdressage, fuelling during a run is really personal, and it's something that you really need to test on your long runs - seriously, don't wait until race day in case you do have another incident like the Gu one! I don't think you are damaging your body by not fuelling mid-run, you just run the very real risk of running out of energy with 3 miles to go. And you can always carry something and not use it if you don't feel the need :).

For post-Whole 30 if you're interested in experimenting, other gels may not affect your digestive system at all, it could just be a single ingredient in the Gu you tried, or even the specific flavour that you had - I have a friend who can use any flavour in the SIS range except the ones with caffiene, as they give her cramps.

cewdressage - after 8 miles is usually when the entire field slows down in a half and when you start to feel depleted if you are not used to run long distances.

I wouldn't use any fuel in training, but you might want to bring a few dates or try the sports drink in your race. It all depends on your goals too. If you just want to finish and have fun you can just take it easy and slow down. If you are racing for a new PR you want the optimal race performance, usually involving glucose.

Good advice jennor and gojo... I'm a distance running newbie so it's helpful! I'm going to start playing around a little bit on my training runs to find something that doesn't upset my stomach, and then carry it with me during the half just in case I need it. I'm slow as ever, so I'm not looking for a certain time, but I definitely don't want to get almost to the end and run out of fuel... 

Archived