Coconut Manna

Kmlynne

I posted this in my log too, but thought I'd put it out here just in case anyone has any suggestions!

A word about Coconut Manna.

Now I love coconut.  But somehow, I was a bit shy of trying something called coconut "butter".  I wondered what I would put it on.  Crackers, toast, etc are all out.  Maybe some fruit slices?  But I don't want to overload my fruit - I am getting enough already.  Maybe I could cook with it.....  Then I starting seeing a bunch of blogs where people were eating it by the spoonful.  Hmmmm....

So, I bought the jar.  I'll try anything once.

When I opened the lid, I thought it looked just like my coconut oil.  So, I scraped some off the top and popped it in my mouth....  Yuck.  It coated my mouth just like oil did.  I was looking at the jar contemplating whether or not to throw it away or try something else with it when I realized that the stuff IN the jar looked a different color that the stuff ON TOP of the jar....  so I dug down under the layer of oil and found.....  heaven.  Or at least as close to real manna as man could come up with!  Some had fallen off the spoon  - I was practically licking it off the counter!

So, I don't know if my jar was a fluke (settling of contents maybe) or if they all come that way, but if you are ready for a real treat, go and get some!

BTW - I am still not sure what else to do with it beside eat it by the spoonful....  any suggestions?

Ok, I had the same experience. One thing you have to do is stir it. Put in in the microwave for 30 sec to 1 min and then stir. It still tastes kind of grainy and oily to me. I have found a lot of dessert recipes that use it. Not something that you can use on your whole30. I have had my jar for a long time. I don't think I will buy another one.

Thanks for the tip, 

When I opened the lid, I thought it looked just like my coconut oil.  So, I scraped some off the top and popped it in my mouth....  

I bought a jar months ago and had the same experience. I haven't opened the jar since, but now I know what to do!

Hats off to you if you can close the lid.. After my first jar (that went down in less than three days) I thought I could handle it better.. NOPE! second jar went faster.. A month or two later I thought, lets try it again.. After the first three spoonfuls I got the dish soap out and squirted in, stirred it around really good and chucked it in the trash.. Glass jar and all.. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

megR - It doesn't for me, but that's because I don't enjoy it all that much. Foods without brakes or those which trigger the sugar dragon are different for everybody. For me, salted almonds are way more dangerous than almond butter. If you read just a few posts about nut butters here, you'll see that that's not true for a lot of people.

If you're asking because you love it and want to keep eating it guilt-free, the answer is probably "yes, it does" for you. :)

Archived