Help with FODMAPS

I'm coming to the end of my second whole 30, my first was in January. I have previously experienced IBS symptoms but these cleared up when I initially started eating paleo nearly a year ago. A few weeks ago I started having symptoms again. A week into this whole 30 I decided to experiment with fodmaps as I was noticing foods to avoid on that list seemed to be exasperating my symptoms. I've found that I need to avoid cauliflower, broccoli, apples, onions and cabbage but avocado and brussel sprouts seem to be ok. Should I be avoiding these foods anyway? I wonder if just because they don't cause the same reaction, consuming them may be inhibiting my gut from healing? Does anyone have any experience with this, thanks :-)

Hi kara, the thing with FODMAPS is that you don't usually have a reaction to all of them, or the reaction may be milder. I can't have broccoli or onions no matter what. But I can have cauliflower, but not every night. I wouldn't avoid anything that you don't have a reaction to or just limit how much you have of them.

The volume may matter as well, if you don't consume some items in higher volumes. Generally I'm okay with FODMAPs, but even a tiny amount of agave nectar makes me sick as a dog.

If I eat something insanely high in onions (onion curry) or leeks I can feel really bloated, sick and strange, but it doesn't last more than a few days.

A lot of people who struggle with apple also struggle with pear.

Do you do okay with any of the other alliums? Spring onions? Garlic? Leeks?

Thanks for your responses. I seem to be able to tolerate cooked apples. Garlic is ok too and I'm going to try leek this week. Feeling heaps better avoiding cabbage, cauli and broccoli.

Archived