Started today!!April 28th

sandiadams

Sooo Day one begins!! Cleaned out the pantry on Saturday. Shopped and prepared on Sunday. Breakfast went well, (minus the terrific urge to put cream in my coffee :huh: ) Lunch is packed in my lunchbox and dinner is in the crock-pot. Minestrone Soup! 
Sugar is my devil so that is what I hope to truly conquer.....again...

My husband and I have started our first whole30 today!  We are so excited!  I'm a bit nervous, as I'm a major gum chewer.  But, I know with him by my side and encouragement from the forums we can both make it!  And lucky for me I've always taken my coffee black :)  Good luck everyone! :D

Today is my day one ... actually my second day one, after messing up on day 13 of my first try at the Whole30. I didn't use the forums first time around, to my detriment. I'm going to change that this time. Anyone else starting over after messing up a string of successful days with a bad food choice? (My culprit was a glass of wine)

How is everyone doing on day 3? I feel ok. I'm a bit tired this morning. I hit a wall with sleepiness yesterday afternoon, too. Maybe my body is adjusting to burning fat as opposed to carbs (had a killer cardio session yesterday). One of the hardest parts for me is not being able to snack (unless it's a post workout) and having something sweet after dinner. So, my husband has been sautéing a banana with crushed macadamias in coconut oil and drizzling a little almond butter on top. It's so good, whole30 friendly, and has helped with these cravings. Hope everyone else is doing well! Let's keep it up!

How is everyone doing on day 3? I feel ok. I'm a bit tired this morning. I hit a wall with sleepiness yesterday afternoon, too. Maybe my body is adjusting to burning fat as opposed to carbs (had a killer cardio session yesterday). One of the hardest parts for me is not being able to snack (unless it's a post workout) and having something sweet after dinner. So, my husband has been sautéing a banana with crushed macadamias in coconut oil and drizzling a little almond butter on top. It's so good, whole30 friendly, and has helped with these cravings. Hope everyone else is doing well! Let's keep it up!

While snacking is discouraged, as you figure out how to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours, it is ok to snack in between if you are genuinely hungry. Hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli.

Did you have a pre or postWO snack around your workout yesterday?  That could help you. 

The meal template is your friend for creating balanced, satiating meals and pre/post WO snacks. 

A bit of tough love: the banana/macadamia/coconut/almond butter mixture is not the best choice for after dinner.  It's bordering on SWYPO, as it was used to meet a sweet craving/sub for dessert. In the future, have just the banana.

In between meals, if you're genuinely hungry, have a mini-meal containing a protein and fat.  Nuts/nut butters are a fat source on a Whole30. 

Hi everyone - great to find this support group.  April 28 was my Day 1 - until I caved from some high stress and had a glass of wine at night.  So, yesterday was Day 1 again!  Really feeling better just from getting sugar and crap out of diet.  It will be quite a journey!!  

My meals usually satiate me between breakfast and lunch.  It's between the lunch and dinner that is more difficult, as I'm used to having a mid-afternoon handful of almonds/cashews/macadamias, a spoonful of almond butter, or fruit.  I'm a very active person and have always had that little bit.  I do get a pre/post workout snack depending on what time of day my workout falls.  Usually it's between breakfast and lunch.  Yesterday, however, I finished right before lunch and just had leftovers from the night before (cilantro-lime chicken atop jicama slaw and a spinach arugula salad with homemade avocado dressing (fat)…all whole30 approved).  I ate quite a bit and was full.  But, yesterday around 3:30 I became hungry….or "snacky."  I held off until dinner, though!  

I was unsure of what SWYPO was so I looked into it.  Ok, so I admit, even though each ingredient in my banana goodness is whole30 approved the timing and why I ate it is kind of like cheating.  I told myself it was okay because it was still only around 6pm (we eat dinner between 5-5:30)  But!  It's the sweetness of the banana that I satiated my craving more than the topping!  The toppings are just fun :)  I will forgo the banana "sundae."  Maaaaybe I could do something like that between lunch and dinner if I become hungry?  Or not.  

Thanks for the input Chris!  I'm pretty proud of sticking to it (minus the almost SWYPO incident).  I have been surprised at all the packaged/processed food that have sugar in it!  Trying to find beef or chicken broth was impossible.  Found an organic veggie broth to use.  And I never knew all the pre-made seasonings I was using (like Weber's Kickin' Chicken) had sugar in it!  So far I've enjoyed creating my own whole30 approved spice mixes!  

Keep it up everyone!!

-Kristin

Archived