Lujo's Whole Life

lujo238

So my first whole 30 is done.  I felt I did pretty well but I can already feel the backsliding.  By the end of my whole30 I decided to keep a "clean" kitchen and allow for exceptions outside the home.  It works most days but I feel like there have been too many exceptions.  Now I need to work on where to draw that line and finding the will/desire/strength to hold it.  Here is how my post W30 has gone so far.

Easter Sunday - lots of exceptions, treats etc.

4/23 reintroduced legumes - only negative reaction seemed to be the peanut butter

4/26 Church dinner dance - sister bought me a ticket - breaded chicken breast, rice, green beans, too much wine which led to some unfortunate after dinner snacking. 

4/28 PMS chocolate binge - at least now there is none left in the house

4/29 two slices of cheese after dinner (kept in house for my son who won't eat a sandwich without cheese)

upcoming

5/3 end of season soccer picnic - will bring something compliant - probably fruit salad - the only other things I know will be there are hot dogs which are sure to be frankenfood - I think I will also pack some boiled eggs and a vege tray

5/4 monthly book club - this is the day I want to do whatever - it is the first Sunday of the month and I look forward to it

5/6 end of year band dinner for my 12 year old - barbecue plate which you know means pork drowned in sugar filled barbecue probably with sugar baked beans and sugared coleslaw topped with a roll made from enriched flour - ugh 

5/11 Mother's Day which usually means going out to breakfast for pancakes - maybe we can do something different this year

So the point I am making is life is full of "occasions".  Now I just need to decide which ones are special and which are just a bad idea.  I do worry that the occasional treat seems to make it harder for me to be on track afterwards.  Cravings and such seem to creep back in, especially when dealing with PMS. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I think the key is to focus on how you want to eat most of the time and give that gift to yourself most of the time. The alternative is viewing occasions as the time to give yourself opportunities to go off-roading as if off-roading is what you really want to do. This is on my mind because I have been off-roading more than usual lately. I ate in restaurants 4 days in a row, eating bread on each occasion. French bread may be worse than pita bread or nan bread, but at the end of the series, I felt sluggish. I could have been happy eating my meals without bread, but I decided to sample everything on the table because I don't normally eat these things. Now I wish I had stuck to the meat and veggies because that is what I really value. 

Lujo, my life is full of "occasions" too.  Instead of planning ahead of time to cheat, I have been planning to stay on track and then decide when I'm at the meal/event etc. if there is anything worth off-roading for.  This past weekend I had wine three nights in a row.  To me, the wine seemed worth it.  I did not have wheat, which I know bothers me, and I had a little bit of dairy, which made me stuffed up so in the future I'll be avoiding it.  I think generally when you ask yourself "is it worth it?" the answer is no.  

I think it's also important to take stock of the things that really bother you.  I had such a bad wheat reaction that it's become much easier to avoid it.  The sugar is harder for me to say "no" to because while eating too much makes me feel sick a little always seems to taste good.  

Feeling a bit better today.  I am still worried about the upcoming weekend partly because it is going to be so packed I will have little to no time to prepare ahead for anything.  Just found out last night I will also be attending a birthday dinner on Friday night. 

Why am I feeling better today?  It started out not so good.  I woke up this morning to discover I forgot to do laundry last night.  Oops.  I am in a weight range right now where more of my clothes don't fit than do fit.  I have three pair of pants I have been wearing over and over and just switching out the tops.  Which means if I miss a load of laundry I am in trouble.  So I pick a par of pants to wear and throw the other two in the wash.  As I am dressing I realize I picked capris which means shaving my lower legs.  Ugh!  I hate shaving mid-week but by Thursday my weekend shave has grown back too much to skip it.  So I send my oldest son off to take the kids to school so I can shave and have him come back for me.  I shave my legs and go to put my pants on only to discover a giant brownish colored stain on the back.  I promise I did not poop my pants when I last wore them but I apparently sat in something that I didn't notice.  Now I have two pair of pants in the washer. No time to dry them and one pair of stained pants I cannot wear to work.  As I stand in my bathroom I glance at a pair of pants I have had hanging in there for a couple weeks.  I keep trying them on and they keep not buttoning.  I take a deep breath and try them on praying the whole time.  Woo Hoo!  They button!!!  Maybe a bit tighter than I would wish but they are on and not stained.

So what started as a disorganized bad morning ended as the victory of a shrinking waistline.   

This makes two days in a row I have not packed my lunch.  My fridge is bare and I have been running around so much in the evenings I just don't get anything packed.  I really need a good cook up this weekend but I have no idea when.  My weekend is scheduled from end to end with stuff to do.  Ugh!  I hate weekends like this.  I can't wait for Monday. LOL

Woke up with a headache today.  Definitely too much off-roading.  I brought a salad to the birthday dinner last night but the main course was pizza.  I didn't eat a slice right away but as I was leaving I realized I was starving and I was headed to the grocery store.  So I decided eating one slice of pizza was better than heading to grocery store and filling my cart with junk because I was irrationally hungry.  Meh!  I picked the slice with the most green peppers on it.  Wishing now I had just eaten the toppings.  I did not have chocolate cake!  Did good at grocery store. 

Today I am headed for an all day soccer - picnic - soccer marathon.  Will be out of the house until 4 or 5.   Bringing fruit salad to the picnic and sticking some chomps and a primal pac in my purse.  Breakfast today was some chicken and apple sausage with asparagus.  Yum!  New non-egg breakfast find.  I know it's supposed to be meal one.  I am a work in progress.  Dinner tonight will be ground beef and some sort of veges.  I have some greens from my CSA I can braise and serve it over.  Not sure about seasoning.  Thinking of toying with a way to make "brown gravy" type flavoring without you know the little packet.  We shall see.

My crazy weekend is over thank goodness.  Despite my complete off-roading yesterday I feel pretty good.  It helps that I went right back on plan today.  Tomorrow night I still have the barbecue band dinner to get through but I feel better about going off road sometimes as long as I keep the road in sight and get right back on it. 

Mom and I have decided to do another W30ish.  We are going to start 5/12 right after mother's day.  The first two weeks she wants to do AIP this time to see if it helps more with her rheumatoid arthritis.  I will be doing it with her in solidarity.  We have decided that book club will be off road most of the time.  It is the first Sunday of each month and unless we are hosting we have no control over the menu.  June 1st is the next one and so we will only get 3 weeks of W30 before then.  We will probably go right back on it though.  We are taking a trip this summer and have discussed staying mostly W30 until then. 

Lujo, that sounds like a great plan.  I want to do another one myself.  I haven't been totally off-roading but I have been having rice or corn a couple times a week and a nightly small amount of dark chocolate.  I haven't decided when to do my next Whole 30 . . . maybe May would be good after my family visits are over.

Day 1 back to basics. 

Meal 1: 2 slices bacon, 2 eggs, greens, peppers, and onions

Meal 2: leftover paleo beef stew recipe with sweet potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, and onions.

Meal 3: Not sure yet - ground beef with veges

Meal 3 yesterday ended up being taco salad with red leaf lettuce, red bell pepper, black olives and salsa.  I treated myself by crunching half a dozen chips on the bottom but ended up wishing I hadn't because they were stale.  I also forgot to log yesterday that I had some cantaloupe with my lunch.  I did eat a primal pac mid-morning and was very unhappy with it.  I got down to the last few pieces and discovered it had mold on it.  Gross!  I looked the package over carefully and there was no expiration date.  It did not make me sick but I was pretty pissed off to discover it was moldy.  Last night after dinner I had two squares of chocolate right before bed.  Not a good W30 day but I am moving on from it.  I am actually not doing a strict Whole30 right now but I am trying to get more paleo.  Todays menu is as follows.

Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambled with fresh chives, 1 bacon, 1 small zucchini sautéed, 4-5 pieces of cut up honey dew melon.

Meal 2: leftover chicken & bok choi stir fry, pear and a handful of almonds

Meal 3: crockpot beef stew with carrots, celery, onion, and green beans

Wow six days since I posted my meals.  And yes it is for the worst of reasons.  I am completely off plan.  The worst part is I feel like crap but can't seem to get back on track.  I have had some really good meals in between but it fells almost like I am excusing myself from my bad choices because I ate all my veges first.  Yes I do realize I am not a two year old but right now my internal big baby is having a temper tantrum.  Probably because she had too much sugar this weekend.

Tonight my brother in law and his kids are coming over for dinner.  My sister is out of town for a big work event and it is my nieces birthday so we volunteered to have the birthday dinner.  I am making a big pot of compliant meat sauce.  I will eat mine over veges while the guests and kids will get regular spaghetti.  Wish me luck turning down the cake and ice cream.

I forgot to make the veges to eat my meat sauce over so ended up with a smallish serving of pasta.  It wasn't until I was making my plate that I realized I had forgotten.  I though about nuking a bag of green beans but everyone else was already at the table and I was over-tired, over- hungry and just over it.  It still wasn't the worst thing I have eaten lately. 

Yesterday I got home and made turkey burgers, roasted sweet potatoes, and kohlrabi/apple slaw only to have everyone get home and one by one tell me they already ate.  If I had come home and not made dinner they would have all come home and whined because I hadn't made anything.  So I ate my dinner by myself and it was quite good.  Pretty had the same for breakfast this morning except for fresh strawberries instead of the slaw.  For lunch today I will be eating out with one of my kids.  Every 6-8 weeks we have to make an hour drive to a doctors appointment and we usually have lunch, do a little shopping, etc.  I have no idea what lunch will be as it is his choice.  Dinner tonight is meatloaf, I have a fennel I am going to try and sauté with carrots and onions.  I saw a recipe somewhere I will try to find again.  I also have a bunch of shallots left so maybe I will do those instead of the onion.

I am trying to get back on track.  This weekend I think we will clean out the house of junk and plan for a Whole 5 starting Monday.  Just a short, strict, re-boot.

Well my re-boot didn't happen last week. I am doing a bit better. Honestly though it is mostly because I am running out of junk at my house.  I am cooking better though. Last nights dinner was roast from rhea crock pot with carrots, onions, radishes, celery, tomatoes and some spinach. I like throwing some spinach in because it cooks down so much you can sneak it passed the kids. I seasoned it with some balsamic vinegar and the pizza spice blend from Well Fed.

Breakfast today was chicken apple sausage, scrambled eggs, and zucchini, yellow squash, and onion sauté.

Lunch today will be Applebees as my daughters choice. I will go online and check out their menu to try and plan ahead.

Dinner tonight will be grilled chicken salad.

I ended up not making dinner last night. After lunch no one was really hungry. I ended up having some peanut butter and rice crackers instead. We decided to save the salad for today.

Breakfast today was an egg and asparagus bake with bacon and coffee.

Lunch will probably be leftover roast and veges.

Dinner will be grilled chicken salad with avocado and strawberries with a lime dressing.

So my stove is not working.  We had to get a little creative for dinner but it was pretty easy.  I broke out the electric griddle I usually use for pancakes and flipped it over to the grill side to grill the chicken.  The salad of course needed no cooking so that was good.  It was a real good salad too with avocado, strawberries, and grilled chicken over some red leaf lettuce from my CSA.  It will be fixed tomorrow so I will need to mix things up for dinner tonight as well.

Yesterday's meal plan changed a bit.  After cleaning out the garage all morning I ended up eating some lunchmeat and fruit instead of my leftover roast.  I just could not bear to eat anything hot.  I brought the roast for lunch today so it wont go to waste.  I could have added some raw veges to that but was just to lazy.  Plus I knew dinner was going to be salad so didn't really want raw veges at lunch as well.

My biggest problem has once again become late night snacking.  I hit the peanut butter and rice crackers again last night.

Today's menu as planned is

Breakfast - leftover egg/asparagus bake, sautéed squash & onion and a chicken and apple sausage.

lunch - leftover roast with veges and some honey dew melon

dinner - porkchops, some sort of roasted veges.  maybe beets and zucchini or carrots and fennel

I will have to make the chops on my griddle again and see if I can roast some veges in my toaster oven.  Not having a stove top to work with is a bit frustrating.

So last night I tried rubbing mayonnaise and spices all over my chops before grilling them.  I will never make them another way again.  Everyone  loved it.  We went with carrots and fennel for our roasted veges.  I had a three leftover ears of corn from a neighbors barbecue and my kids ate those.  Todays meals are as follows.

Breakfast:  leftover porkchop, carrots, and fennel

Lunch: grilled chicken breast with frozen carrots and cauliflower, drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper

Dinner: leftover beef roast with veges

I had a small bowl of chocolate icecream after dinner last night. Not great but better than I have been doing.  I'm still trying to figure out where I want to be as far as dairy and sugar goes.

Went to bed early last night.  Got my period and just exhausted.  Got a call from my son's school that he hurt his knee so I left work to take him to the doctor.  Left my lunch in the work fridge so ended up grabbing a dollar menu burger and fries.  Not a good choice at all but I was starving and broke.  I get paid on the first of the month and the last week is always pretty lean.  This week I has the added expense of running out of propane unexpectedly so we are down to counting dollars until; payday.  Fun stuff.  I switched propane companies as this is the second time we have run out of gas with this one and they had inexplicably switched me from keep full to will call.  They tried to get me to pay them $500 to come out on the weekend and give me gas so I refused.  Two days with no propane meant no showers and no stove to cook.  Super fun.  We get spoiled by the simple luxuries in life like hot running water.  We got our new tank yesterday for about $300 hence the broke-ness.

Also had a small bowl of strawberry ice cream last night.  I like having a little something at bed time.  What I need to try and figure out is, is it worth it.  When the ice-cream runs out I am not buying any more this weekend.  My bedtime snack isn't always ice cream either that's just what I have right now.  Sometimes it's fruit or nuts or a beef stick or a piece of dark chocolate or a combination.

Today's menu

Breakfast: oatmeal with strawberries and honey and a slice of bacon

Lunch: yesterday grilled chicken with cauliflower and carrots with olive oil and salt and pepper, plus a small bowl of honey dew melon

Dinner: took ground beef out of the freezer.  I have some celtuce from my csa I have not tried yet and mustard greens and beets.  Not sure what I will make of it.

Rubbing mayo on chops is an interesting idea.  I haven't tried that.  I may have to soon. 

Friendly suggestion for next time - A can of tuna and an avocado is probably the same price as a dollar menu burger and fries...  :)  I'm preaching to the choir here as I ate a larabar and banana with AB yesterday though that can of tuna would have been a much better idea.

You are right Jen the tuna and avocado would have been better.  Although I don't know how I would have opened them in the car.  LOL

So last nights dinner was a fail.  I tried to throw some things together for an Asian stir fry.  I had ground beef, celtuce, onion, and summer squash.  I made it into a curry.  The flavor was okay but the texture was too mushy.  No one liked it.  It's funny because the same texture with an Italian type seasoning would have been fine I think.  The combination of softness and curry was just weird.  We are used to eating crispier veges with curry.  The down side is now I have a ton of leftovers and I am probably the only one who will eat it.

Todays menu

breakfast: scrambled eggs, Andouille sausage, beets and mustard greens

lunch: red lettuce salad with yellow squash, zucchini and grilled chicken, and a pear

dinner: Mexican

We are going to my nephew's last baseball game tonight and out for Mexican afterwards.  I will avoid gluten but corn chips and a margarita are almost certainly on the menu.

Friday night pretty much went as expected. I had flautas which is chicken rolled in a corn tortilla and fried.  Not the best but I didn't eat any flour tortillas.  I took two bites of the rice and beans but I wasn't really interested so didn't finish those.  I did eat the guacamole salad and I did dip the flautas into some of the sour cream.  Also I did have one margarita. 

Saturday was a bad day all around and I am feeling it today.  It's funny I think wheat or gluten stuffs up my ears.  They just feel clogged up and even a bit itchy.  Went to a graduation party where there was nothing but junk food.  I ate a burger and about half the bun.  I made my spinach dip which I had with some pumpernickel bread.  That really is a treat because I don't make it often but it was requested by my son.  Afterwards I did have one small piece of cake.  Oh and a pina colada by the pool.  Plus some chips and maybe a donut or two.  Just bad bad bad choices.

Today I woke up and wanted a healthy breakfast after yesterday so started with two scrambled eggs, 2 slices bacon, and some zucchini and onions.  We go to book club today so that will take care of lunch and probably dinner as well.  There is usually a ton of food but I have no idea what it will be.  Also I have a lovely bottle of pinot gris in the fridge I am taking with me.  I will probably drink the whole thing over the course of the day. 

This week coming up I will try to do much better and recover from my weekend of food debauchery.

Yesterday's book club ended up not being so bad.  The hostess has Celiac disease so she had lots of gluten free offerings.  For appetizers there were fresh veges and rice crackers served with a variety of hummus.  Also a muffuletta salad that was really good.  Once w e sat down to the meal there was a tomato, cucumber, roasted pepper salad with a balsamic dressing that was fabulous.  The main course was chicken breast cooked in the oven with a plum sauce she made with no added sugar, grilled zucchini, yellow squash and asparagus, baked sweet potatoes, there was also some yellow rice and a croissant but I barely touched those.  For dessert she had three types of which I tasted all three.  The first was a strawberry pie made with gluten free ginger snaps as the crust, then a coconut custard pie, and a lemon meringue tart.  They were all worth it.  I did pretty good all around I think.  I did sample a few things but that's better than eating the whole of everything.  I did have my bottle of wine.  When the party was over I left a glass in the bottle.  It was a lovely party though and a nice afternoon with friends.

I was inspired to do some math by Mcjule.  I looked back over the last week.  Out of 21 meals 12 were Whole30, 3 were not Whole30 but they did meat my current goals of being gluten free and not too much sugar, and 6 were completely off the rails bad choices.  Add to that 3 off plan snacks.  I am only making good choices 60% of the time.  I would like to increase that by at least 20% so that is my goal for this week.  I did notice that most of my bad choices are happening on the weekend.  I will need to work on that. 

Mondays menu

B - scrambled eggs, Andouille sausage, beets, and greens

L - leftover curried ground beef with celtuce, yellow squash, and radishes, cup of cantaloupe

D - 2 applegate beef hot dogs with mustard, sautéed sweet potato, and roasted asparagus

S - mixed nuts, green olives, and swiss cheese

Today's menu

B - scrambled eggs, bacon, greens, and onions

L - forgot my lunch at home - will have to order a salad probably Greek with grilled chicken - takeout chicken nachos

D - tomato sauce with chicken and sausage. served over green beans most likely, with a side salad

Archived