Lujo's Whole Life

lujo238

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got super busy at work yesterday and when lunch rolled around I did not order a salad.  I hated myself after but went with the chicken nachos instead. Worst part I think was the massive amount of cheese.  Followed it up with oatmeal cookies.  Massive stomach ache all night.  Barely ate any dinner because I was not feeling well.  Went to bed at 8 PM.  Today is a new day thought right?  I did remember my lunch today so no need to tempt myself with takeout menus.  When I am stressed or tired or hungry I do not make good choices. 

Todays menu

B - scrambled eggs, chicken and apple sausage, greens and onions

L - leftover applegate farms beef hot dogs, sautéed sweet potato, and roasted asparagus

D - beef stew with veges from the crockpot.  Veges will be carrots, beets, onions, and some greens

Oops missed yesterday.  The time flies sometimes.

Menu Thursday

Breakfast was egg salad made with homemade mayo, onins and celery over some mixed salad greens and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Lunch was two eggs scrambled with onion, bacon, and sweet potato in butter

Dinner was leftover beef stew - added some canned tomatoes to change it up from day before

Snacks - bowl of chocolate ice cream before bed - peanut butter M&Ms eaten in car before dinner

Today's menu

Breakfast 3 scrambled eggs and sautéed greens with some leek tops

Lunch - leftover beef stew with veges

Dinner - Beef stroganoff - I am having mine over green beans the kids will pick another veg so probably corn or carrots

Egg noodles, brocolli, and a mixed green salad with pickled cucumbers and black olives with homemade ranch dressing. Dessert was lemon meringue pie. 

Snacks more peanut butter M&Ms after breakfast - these are no brakes food for me and I need to remember that

So I got home from work Friday night to discover my mother had made lemon meringue pie for our company.  I try to talk myself around but I am just losing it.  I rely on her too  much for food prep because I work later than her. Then I get frustrated and eat the wrong thing just because it's there.  I keep telling myself I will do better tomorrow but tomorrow never gets here. I am wallowing a bit this morning, feeling sorry for myself, and annoyed because I know I am the only one who can do this right or wrong.

Menu

Saturday

Breakfast of two scrambled eggs, bacon and greens with beets

Lunch at Mexican restaurant - two tacos asada with cilantro and onion in corn tortillas, chips and Mexican salsa.

Dinner at my sisters - turkey burger on a pretzel roll with mustard and grilled onions, salad of romaine with peppers and cucumber with Greek dressing - some appetizers before were fruit dipped in a goat cheese honey balsamic dip - also half a bottle of pinot gris.

Snack - Heath bar

Sunday

Breakfast leftover egg salad over salad greens with homemade ranch dressing from the Well Fed cook book

Lunch - ?? - clean out the fridge leftovers leftover beef stroganoff

Dinner - meatloaf maybe - I defrosted some ground beef and ground turkey didn't make anything because we ate lunch really late - then hit the kitchen starving around 9 PM. Ended up eating some pretzels and an Almond Joy candy bar.

I never do log my drinks but it's always the same - black coffee at breakfast and throughout the morning - switching to water at lunch and nothing but water the rest of the day. The only exceptions are some occasional wine but I do log that.  Last night I slept terrible and I blame the wine.  Tossing and turning all night then waking at 3:00 to stare at the ceiling for a while.  I never was an everyday wine drinker so I pretty much do the same as I did before my Whole30 and that is once or twice a month, usually when getting together with my sisters or girlfriends.

Breakfast - Greens, beets, and 3 scrambled eggs

Lunch - leftover beef stew with veges pulled out of the freezer  Takeout grilled chicken salad with blue cheese dressing and a pear

Dinner - meatloaf, sautéed squash and onions, and green beans

Snack - pretzels

Yesterday when I was putting my lunch in the microwave at work I dropped it and made a huge mess.  Thankfully the microwave is in the back where there is no carpet so I was able to clean it up easy enough.  I ended up ordering a grilled chicken salad with blue cheese dressing.  It was okay but not great.  I don't really enjoy the salads from the takeout places near my work which is one reason I don't do well when ordering out for lunch.  It's one of those things that they include on the menu because they have to but put no effort into making it any good. I did good all day them fell off the wagon at bedtime.  I know I should get rid of the bedtime snack entirely but I think this week I will focus on making it a better snack.  I need to go to the store and get a few things as I am all out of nuts and beef sticks and olives. 

Breakfast - greens, beets, 3 scrambled eggs, and 4 strawberries

Lunch - left my lovely leftover meatloaf at home. I am so mad at myself.  Will have to order in - wish me luck

Dinner - chicken breast - maybe an Asian stir-fry as I have some bok-choy and carrots

One reason there has been so much junk food in my house is my mom is keeping my and my sisters kids for the summer at my house.  My sisters are buying and sending over some food for the kids to eat for breakfast, lunch and snacks.  Last week my contribution was carrageenan free lunch meat, nuts, and fruit.  My sisters sent individual oatmeal packs, pretzels, granola bars, and several varieties of what based cereals.  Ugh!!  How do you say thanks but no thanks when I certainly cant afford to feed all the kids all summer long but the junk food in my house is driving me crazy.  My one sister is having dinner over tonight, maybe after a glass of wine I can gently suggest carrots and celery stick make wonderful snacks for kids. 

For lunch yesterday I was a good girl and ordered the Greek salad with grilled chicken.  The dressing was not good but I did the dip and bite where you dip your fork in the dressing then the salad.  That way you don't eat a ton of dressing.  It was okay.  for dinner we did do an Asian stir fry.  My mother made it and she forgot we had bok choy and carrots from the CSA.  She ended up using frozen carrots, peas, and cauliflower.  She did season it with Well Fed's best stir fry sauce ever so that was good.  We had it over some brown rice.  The kids all ate it really well.  I did eat some brown rice but just a small scoop.  For my late night snack though I had two Applegate Farm hot dogs dipped in mustard.  Crazy I know but I wanted something savory and we are out of nuts and jerky.  I need to go shopping badly.  No pretzels for me even though my daughter finished them while sitting right next to me.  Yay me! 

Today's menu

Breakfast - 3 eggs scrambled and leftover sautéed squash and leeks

Lunch - leftover meatloaf with sautéed squash and leeks, and green beans

Dinner - Family is having shrimp which I don't care for so I will probably eat leftover chicken stir-fry from yesterday

Snack - fried cornmeal cakes with butter

I did talk to my sister about the kids snacks and food etc.  This morning she showed up with grocery bags full of granola bars, oatmeal packs, lays potato chips, etc...  Not much I can do about it.  Oh there were bananas in the bag as well so there's that.  It's funny though how the snacks we ran out of last week were the ones I bought.

Other than my choice of snack yesterday I think I did pretty good.  And my snack while not healthy was from one of my allowed food groups - corn.  Two more days until I go shopping and re-load on better choices.  I may have to hide some though so the kids don't eat them all before I can.  I have been reading lots of articles and threads on kids and Paleo.  I have high hopes that if I can get the whole family on board it will make things easier.  I need to do better at choosing kid friendly veges.  They will eat carrots and celery all day but arugula, not so much.  And they are full on rebelling against squash which is hard for me because it is one of my favorites.  As for leafy greens, my oldest and youngest will eat spinach but my middle child refuses to eat "leaves".  He does love salad though and my kids have always loved baked potato dinner.  I know white potatoes are not considered paleo in all circles but I think 2-3 times a month we can do a baked potato dinner.  The problem is I need some new ideas for toppings.  I usually do sour cream, butter, shredded cheese, bacon, chives, etc., and let the kids apply their own toppings.  While we are doing dairy in moderation I think we need more protein than you get with bacon.  I will have to think about it. 

Todays menu:

B- 2 scrambled eggs, 2 bacon, greens sautéed in olive oil and garlic, and some cantaloupe

L - leftover Asian chicken stir-fry with some brown rice

D - chili - it will have beans - I'm not making it so not sure what else. I'll throw together a side salad if there are not enough veges.

S- ??

Monday morning.  I've had one of those weekends where I am grateful to be going back to work.  Today is day 1 of a restart with tighter rules.  Not quite a W30 but tighter than I have been doing.  No more rice, no more corn chips. 

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 bacon, beet greens, new potatoes, with onion and garlic. I cooked my eggs and vegies in the bacon grease.  for some more fat.

Snack - green olives - not sure I will eat them but I brought them to work just in case.

Lunch - tuna with mayo and chopped celery and a red bell pepper, strawberries and blueberries

Dinner - Asian stir-fry bok choy, carrots, and onions with porkchops

Snack - dried mango and two squares dark chocolate

31 days till my vacation.  We are going to do a month of clean eating leading up to that date.  Also after my weekend I could use an emotional re-set.  Keeping control of my diet always helps with that.  So I will be doing a reverse countdown.  Logging on here everyday to talk about how I am feeling and how I am doing.  It won't be a traditional whole 30 as I am not eliminating any vegies and while I am not adding sugar to anything I am buying bacon and some sausage that has added sugar.  I am still avoiding chemical additives and things like carrageenan.  I have not decided it I will be completely dairy free yet but probably 99%.  No grains though even the non-gluten ones like rice and corn.  I get a weekly CSA basket so eliminating some vegies is hard as I can't afford to throw away perfectly good potatoes or beans that I already paid for. They will be limited though to whatever we get in our basket.  I don't plan to seek them out otherwise. 

Todays menu

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 bacon, leftover brussel sprouts and new potatoes, blueberries

Lunch - left over pork chop, bok choy, carrots, and onion with a couple brussel sprouts

Dinner - meat sauce and a salad with red leaf lettuce, zucchini and yellow squash with Well Fed's creamy Italian dressing

Snack - Real Deal - Real Veggie Chips

breakfast - two eggs, leftover pork chop, sautéed zucchini and yellow squash

lunch - O'charleys with my son - definitely a treat lunch

dinner - Country Captain Chicken from Well Fed - OMG I love her recipes

Snack - homemade primal pac - I bought some roasted almonds, raisins, dried mango and beef sticks, threw them in a sandwich bag all together.

I'd really like to get my head back in the game.  I had forgotten I had my monthly lunch with my son so didn't do to well yesterday.  Today though I am feeling determined to get back on track.

Breakfast - eggs, bacon and greens

Lunch - leftover meat-sauce over leftover bok choy, carrots, and onions. A pear.

Dinner - don't know yet

I've been offline a few days.  We put laminate wood flooring in my spare room.  It was a nightmare.  Everything hurts and I am exhausted.  For some reason I have not been sleeping well either.

Yesterday's menu from memory

B - 2 eggs 2 bacon and sautéed zuchini

L - egg salad with Well Fed Mayo and onions, eaten with a bunch of carrots and celery sticks

D - Sweet potato hash made with spicy breakfast sausage, onions an peppers

S - Almonds and bowl of cherry vanilla ice cream

Today so far

B - 2 eggs and leftover sweet potato hash

L - hamburgers made with beef and turkey combined, seasoned with italian sausage seasoning and beets sautéed with carrots and beet greens

D - Applegate beef hot dogs and coleslaw

I have to edit yesterday's menu a bit and add a snack I had of salami and sunflower seeds between lunch and dinner.  Also we added some sauteed squash and onions to dinner.  The coleslaw was a bit too tart.  I realized too late that I was out of mayo so we went with a not creamy recipe we found with apple cider vinegar and Dijon mustard.  It has quite a bite and I feel like my cabbage was a bit bitter as well.  I made a fresh batch of mayo last night so when I have leftovers I will add a spoonful to see if that helps cut the bitterness.  My mom suggested we also throw in some raisins to add some more sweetness.  We shall see.  No after dinner snack last night I am proud to say.  Especially since I started my period.  Ugh!!  I basically took two ibuprofen and went to bed after dinner.

Today's menu so far.

B- 2 eggs scrambled and leftover sweet potato hash with sausage.  It is so good I will be making my sweet potato hash with sausage from now on.  I made a small bowl of blueberries in coconut milk but could only eat a couple bites.

L - leftover hot dog and hamburger and sautéed squash and onion, plus the rest of my blueberries in coconut milk from breakfast

D - Salad - I have some salad greens we need to use up pretty quick so some sort of salad.  Probably keep it super easy and pick up some tuna.

Oh and I had to stop this morning to pick up some feminine hygiene product. I actually picked up and fondled a chocolate bar or two but I am proud to say I put them back and did not buy any chocolate.  Hooray for small victories.

So yesterday I did not do so well with the snacking.  I had some nuts at work then before bed I had some ice cream, then a bit later I had some beef sticks and fried fruit.  I was soooo hungry.  I know it is having my period that makes me so ravenous I'm just grateful there was nothing too bad in the house I could binge on.  For dinner last night I bought canned chicken breast instead if tuna.  Then I whipped up a balsamic vinegar dressing.  My salad greens were way too bitter though.  Not sure what it was exactly but I just made sure to always have some chicken salad on each forkful to counterbalance the bitterness of the greens.  Other than that it was pretty good.  My daughter ate a big plate of it and told me it was delicious.  I wish I had taken a picture of her plate as it was so pretty.  I find when getting kids to eat vegies the presentation matters.  I started by putting a small pile of greens in the middle of the plate then put the tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow peppers and green olives in a ring around the edges.  Then I drizzled the vegies with the dressing and put a scoop of chicken salad in the middle.  It was so colorful and she could eat the bigger vegies around the edges with her fingers.  Fun!

Today's menu

B - 2 eggs and the last of the sweet potato hash :(

L - left over chicken salad from last night and a pear

D - beef stew in the crockpot with green beans???

So dinner last night wasn't so great.  The beef got a bit burnt and while we tried to rescue what we could it just put the flavor of the whole thing off.  Sometimes my mother who does most of the cooking seems to forget how many vegetables are needed to feed our family.  There was barely enough carrots and celery in the pot for two people.  I threw in some baby lima beans(I know a legume) and warmed up some leftover corn for the kids.  I still went to bed hungry.  Which is why I ended up in the kitchen last night starving and looking for something to eat.  I am all out of nuts and dried fruit.  I hate the last few days before shopping day. I am out of everything and that's never good. 

I am starting to get pretty disappointed in my CSA.  The share just does not seem to be worth what I paid for it.  I have 9 more weeks left to summer and I already paid for it.  Hopefully things will get better.

Breakfast - 2 eggs and swiss chard sautéed in olive oil and garlic

Lunch - Greek salad with grilled chicken

Dinner - ??

Right in the middle of typing my post it just disappeared.  Here I am to try again.  To finish Friday off we went out for Mexican.  I had a bowl of chicken soup and 2 hard tacos. 

Saturday after breakfast we picked the kids grandma up from the airport.  She will be visiting all week so there will be more eating out and such as we do things with the kids.  She likes to treat us when she is here and she only comes twice a year so we let her mostly.

Saturday

B - leftover hamburger patties, I can't remember what the veggies were but I know they were Whoe30 compliant - I knew I was having a treat at lunch so I was strict at breakfast.

L - Ihop - grandma's treat - international omelet and buttermilk pancakes.  Since it will be the next time she visits before wee go to Ihop again I allowed myself the treat.

D - Organic rotisserie chicken, Green beans and almonds recipe from Well Fed, and homemade coleslaw.  also 2 glasses of pinot grigio

Sunday

B- 2 eggs, half an Andouille sausage, Swiss chard and onion sautéed in olive oil

L - salami and provolone cheese with spicy mustard and a little mayo, one slice of rye bread, cut up bell peppers and zucchini, and some watermelon

D - Met some extended family at a pizza place, 3 thins slices of pizza with sausage, onion and spinach, greek salad with vinaigrette dressing

S - 3 small squares of dark chocolate.

Monday

B - 2 eggs, half an Andouille sausage, Swiss chard and onion sautéed in olive oil

L - leftover rotisserie chicken and green beans, and an apple

D - took ground beef out of freezer

For dinner last night we mixed ground beef, ground turkey and ground Italian sausage into a meat loaf.  OMG it was good.  We get our sausage from a local farm and it is not whole30 compliant because they do add sugar but I am not doing a w30 right now.  It is the best sausage I ever had though.  They make a breakfast variety and an Italian variety.  Both are fantastic.  After dinner I did eat some PB&J crackers with my daughter while we watched Annie for the 5000th time. 

Today's menu

B - leftover sautéed squash and onions, 2 eggs, and 2 bacon

L - leftover meatloaf and leftover almond green beans

D - going out to Asian - going to order Naem Sod which is ground pork mixed with lots of veggies seasoned with ginger and I think lime, served in a cabbage bowl with cabbage leaves to wrap it up in.  It is on the appetizer menu but it is my favorite dish from this restaurant.

Dinner last night was AMAZING!  I had forgotten how much I love that pork salad.  I ate about half of it by scooping the chopped meat and veggies into the cabbage leaves then I got lazy and just cut up the remainder of the leaves and tossed it all together.  So good.  Everyone else seemed to enjoy their meals as well.  Clean plates all around.  After dinner we went home and watched Frozen again.  I did eat some peanut M&Ms during that. 

Yesterday afternoon we took the kids and grandma and went to the farm where we buy meat.  They are a bit of a tourist attraction up here so they have some animal enclosures up front where the kids can see some baby animals.  They also have a couple real good climbing trees, picnic tables and they serve a delicious locally sourced ice cream.  So we spent about 45 minutes looking at baby animals, then bought our meat and some ice cream then enjoyed a nice scenic ride home.

Today's menu

B- leftover burger patties and new potatoes, sautéed with onions and Italian sausage.

L- leftover rotisserie chicken, almond green beans, and some brocolli

D - I will be trying to re-create one of my grandmothers recipes - fried cube steak in onion gravy, instead of flour I am using tapioca starch, instead of mashed white potatoes we are having mashed sweet potatoes and I will be roasting some zucchini, peppers and yellow beans to go with it

Dinner went well last night.  The tapioca starch worked to coat the steaks last night.  We fried them in olive oil then made the onion gravy right in those drippings. Then you put the fried steaks in a roasting pan and pour the gravy over it and stick it in the oven for an hour.  The mashed sweet potatoes were a huge hit.  I put in a whole stick of butter and some garlic, salt and pepper.  The grown ups all enjoyed the roasted veggies but the kids turned their noses up at them.  More for us I say.  I put out some Amish cheeses and olives before dinner.  A couple people mentioned crackers but I didn't put any out and they all nibbled on it anyway.  In case you are wondering we are doing more of a lacto paleo thing than straight up paleo.  We don't eat cheese all the time but we do sometimes and this was locally made farm fresh cheese. Oh and I did have two glasses of pinot grigio.  After dinner I served Turkey Hill All Natural ice cream.  I did have a small bowl of mango.  Then after everyone left we did a small mountain of dishes and turned in with a bowl of cantaloupe.

today's menu

B - yellow squash and Vidalia onion sautéed in butter, two scrambled eggs and some blueberries

L - leftover cube steak in gravy and sweet potatoes and roasted veggies

D - Mexican

I will be spending my afternoon preparing food for tomorrow's party so we are going out for Mexican for dinner. (Honestly though I need very little excuse to go out for Mexican.) We are taking Turkish Chopped Salad from Well Fed, deviled eggs - not sure what recipe yet, and my mother got voted to bring fried chicken - little do they know she is paleofying the recipe. LOL

So I got home last night and discovered Mexican was switched to Italian,  We went to a local restaurant I love but is nowhere near paleo.  Since it is sometimes years between times we go to this restaurant I just ordered what I wanted. 

Today is the 4th of July.  Our weeklong visit from grandma is over tomorrow. We will miss her but it will be nice to get back to our routine.  I worked half days all week to spend more time with her so my job is all backed up.

Today's menu is not worked out yet.  I will definitely have a W30 breakfast since I know lunch will be iffy.  I am brining Turkish chopped salad rom Well Fed so there will be that. Plus deviled eggs, and paleo fried chicken.  Who knows what else there will be but we shall see.

Archived