Started April 29 - Want to be my Whole30 Buddy?

Wholenat

I have been following mostly Paleo for a few weeks after starting Crossfit about a month ago. Bought It Starts With Food, found the whole30 forum, and am now on Day 2 of the Whole 30!

I'm a 37-year old female looking to lose those stubborn last 10 pounds that I have been hanging on to for about 7 years now since I started a sedentary office job.

I'd love to find a buddy who is committed to working hard, being positive and supporting me in rocking this challenge! Not interested in those who want to complain, positive encouragement only please -  I am confident that I can accomplish this and am looking to encourage and be encouraged by like-minded people.

So commit yourself and join me - let's change our lives for the better!

Nat

Hello! I would love to be your buddy! Today is April 30 and I am on Day 3. I am 35 years old. I have worked Beachbody programs for a year and have been doing bootcamps for the last month and a half. I too am committed to this program. I work a sedentary office job, with lots of tempting treats in the lounge, and I'm tired of falling to the cravings and sabotaging my weight loss. I have a fairly clean diet to begin with but need to rid my body of those toxins that keep me reaching for those pesky treats. 

Great! Nice to meet you Jenna,  It sounds like you are already very fit! I recently joined CrossFit but had not worked out in ay serious regard for the last several years before that; I think I had just sort of given up on myself. Needless to say the Crossfit is really kicking my butt but I love it! Have been doing it twice a week but starting ath 3 x/week this week.

Not sure what you think the best way would be to buddy up, maybe share our meals with one another? I had hard boiled eggs and an apple for breakfast, breaking out of my protein shake smoothie breakfast which I have been doing for a few years and love but which I realize is probably doing a number on my insulin with all the fruit. Too bad, no room for aything that isn't supporting my goals!

I have also been reading up a lot about how paleo/primal often works much better for men in terms of weight loss than for women - theories abound but the one I beleive the most is that it has to do with women's hormonal balance. Seems that the best shot to having success on the plan as a woman is to make sure you're not taking in too much fruit or starchy veg like sweet potatoes, and not going too crazy on the nuts. I am a big snacker so that will be something I will need to work hard to stop, just make sure to eat enough at meals that I am not needing to snack.

OK back to work! ttys, Nat

I, too, would love to buddy up with you guys!  I am pretty active (bootcamp 3x/week, cardio and weights 2x/week), but, have been making up for that by eating whatever I want and partaking in some yummy wine and craft beer the past 3 months.  Needless to say, I'm physically at a lull.  I'm tired.  I needed a way to get back to my super healthy lifestyle I usually have and figured this is the way to do it.  My husband is on board with me, as I told him I couldn't do this alone.  Having an 8 year old and making lunches and her Greek yogurt snacks and watching her eat ice cream and tortillas for tacos would be too hard if my husband wasn't by my side.  

I've done well so far.  Yesterday I woke up with a slight headache, but, it subsided after I had a little black coffee.  I made the most amazing avocado dressing and had that with cilantro-lime shredded chicken and jicama slaw over a bed of spinach and arugula (which was all leftover from day 1's dinner).  Last night we had a whole chicken and roasted butternut squash and broccoli.  I've been having egg scrambles for breakfast with a sprinkle of cayenne.  Tonight I've made a whole30 minestrone soup with ground chicken.  I made a lot of that for leftovers tomorrow.  Other than my cravings in the evenings for sweets (which I have semi-cheated apparently) I feel like I'm doing well.  

So, about my sweet cravings.  After dinner last night my husband sliced a banana lengthwise, pressed crushed macadamias onto it, sautéed it in a hot pan with coconut oil and then drizzle almond butter over it.  Each ingredient totally whole30!  But, I guess it's borderline SWYPO (which I had to look up) b/c it I'm eating it due to a sugar craving.  I was told to only eat the banana and forgo the fat.  But, the banana is the part that is so sweet!  I am going to go without, though.  I see why it's kind of like cheating.  

Oh, and I'm with you, Nat.  I'm so used to snacking!  Normally in mid-afteroon between lunch and dinner.  I've always had a handful of almonds/cashews/macadamias, nut butter, or fruit (or all the above!) and I'm finding it difficult not to do that.  I have made my meals with plenty of protein, veggies, and needed fat (PWO snack).  I've done well so far!  No snacks.  I'm trying to differentiate if I'm truly hungry and need something b/c I am active and burn so many calories per day, or, if I'm bored and tired and having cravings.  Guess time will tell!

I can't wait until this time next week.  I've been told by several of my friends who have done this that the first week is the hardest.  We are almost halfway through week one!  Tomorrow is our hump day!  

Until next time, one meal, one day at a time!  Keep up your good work!

~Kristin

Day 4 and I'm a little sluggish again.  Ironically I slept amazing!  For breakfast I had a two egg scramble with spinach, red/yellow/orange peppers, mushrooms, and avocado and a cup of black tea.  I'm trying to stop drinking a cup of coffee b/c I don't want to rely on that source of caffeine.  I'm about to take my dogs to the dog beach and see if I'm able to gather some energy from nature b/c I definitely need to go for a jog today.  Good luck today!  

I'll be your buddy! Starting today. (would have been monday, but tornado) -- not my town, but two very close, and cleanup and stress.

Welcome!  I'm all about buddying up!  This is kind of my release!  Hope your getting started off strong!  One meal, one day at I time.  And I'm sorry to hear about all the mess these storms have caused.  May the good Lord bless your community and all those surrounding.  Have a wonderful day!

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you all are doing great on your plan. Jenna and I have been messaging seperately so sorry I missed your posts! Things have been going great for me, definitely is becoming a lifestyle which is the whole point. I would say I am not 100% on plan but I dont have any issues with that, I think if I were being too strict with myself I would have given up by now feeling that I had :failed" - that is a diet mentality, this is a lifestyle. Hope you are all having great success and enjoying eating this way! I am loving it.

I did the emails this time and it has helped me, knowing I have to check off "yes or no" and start over if I mess up. I'm over it though. ;) I miss wine.

I have seen some good results, enough to make me think I may really be gluten intolerant. Or oh lord, sugar

Archived