Food Provided at Work!

LuiseRN

Ok I work for a consulting firm.  I see places once a month and stay the whole day to do their quarterly reports. There is so much to do in one day that the owner of our company has it written into the contract that the businesses we see must provide us lunch so we can keep on working through lunch. They usually ask me what I want. However, its so hard! Today I told them a grilled chicken salad, no cheese, no dressing. They brought me one from Subway. Well I looked it up on the computer and the chicken has soy and malodextrin etc in it! So now I'm eating the lettuce and the tomatoes and cucumbers but that doesn't give me much for lunch! I can't tell them not to bring me lunch because that would violate the contract..so what do I do? what places are safe to tell them to get me lunch? Sometimes the places are in a bigger city but sometimes they are in a rural area. Thoughts?

Have you talked to your employer about your restrictions and your desire to bring your own lunch instead? Another option is to just bring a back up lunch in case what happened today happens again and be super clear about what you can and can not eat. I would specify no fast food as it is almost impossible to eat a whole30 compliant meal from a fast food restaurant. 

No it is not an employer- it is a firm for which I do contract work. There are several consultants. So if I get a business in the habit of not providing lunch, other consultants who may see that business will have issues. But I just thought of something when I read your post about bringing lunch.  Maybe I could just bring my own protein (compliant roasted chicken, for example) and ask them for a large tossed salad with no cheese or croutons or dressing. That way, they are still providing lunch and I am ok

• Moderators

See what you can work out with them on food quality, and don't be afraid to use the ALLERGIES word.

The contract says they have to buy you lunch, not that you have to eat it.

Also, I believe there are labor laws (differ by state) that you must be given a break after a certain number of hours working. I know you're not looking to start a lawsuit, but there is a reason for this. Very stressful and unhealthy.

great ideas all. Yes labor laws would not apply because I am considered self-employed. I do contract work. I prefer staying (not leaving for lunch) as it allows me to get everything done and leave at a reasonable time! I only work like this about 8 days out of the month. The rest of the month I do my work from my home office :)

I cannot stomach boiled eggs (I wish I liked them but I don't. I can eat them scrambled) so that option is out, but everything else sounds great. And you're right, I don't have to eat the lunch provided. I am very fortunate to work at home most of the time, so I can't complain. Thanks everyone.

Archived