McJule's Post-Whole 30

mcjule

So I think a couple of things may have contributed to my hunger yesterday that had nothing to do with the size of the sweet potato.  First, I had a tiny dinner the night before.  Second, I had a pretty small lunch.  So I think I was probably more hungry than usual.  Nevertheless I brought my second half of a sweet potato today just in case.  I also decreased the amount of coconut oil I use to cook my kale/eggs.  I figure I'm getting fat with my coconut butter so maybe I don't need so much oil for breakfast.  We'll see.

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs w/kale, 1/2 sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  leftover roast pork (this was FANTASTIC!), large salad

Dinner:  gluten-free pizza, glass of wine

Workout:  weight lifting

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the things that I've learned over the past year is that there are too many factors that contribute to everything and sometimes, it's not worth trying to figure it out until you see a pattern.  It's good to be aware, though.  I think you're on the right track playing with the sw pot size.  Once you find something that works most of the time, you just stick with it.  90% of the time, my breakfast holds me over just fine.  When it doesn't, I tend to just ignore the hungry feeling because I know logically that I had enough so I just ignore it.  Ignoring that snacky feeling gets easier over time.  Unless I somehow have a meal that is way off template, I find I can go so much longer between meals if I have to than I ever thought I could.  I've gone 7 or 8 hours between meals with only a mild hungry feeling that I was able to ignore until I got home to my good food.  You'll get there, too, I'm sure of it!

So last night my husband really wanted pizza for dinner and I wasn't in the mood to fight.  We got the gluten free crust from our gourmet pizza place and it was quite good.  I had two pieces.  I was thinking of just trying to get a salad but I just wasn't in the mood.  Today I was at a baby shower and I felt obligated to have a few bites of dessert.  I didn't really want it but I don't know, I just felt bad not eating it.  So my stomach hurt.  And weekends are always my bad days.  Just looking at this menu I can see how I am less strict and eating more of the non-gluten grains and off-plan entirely items . . . 

Things I noticed today -- I only had a half a sweet potato but I wasn't hungry at all before noon.  The only changes to my usual breakfast were the addition of a couple bacon strips and coconut milk instead of almond milk for my coffee . . . one or both of those worked!

Breakfast:  Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs w/bacon, 1/2 sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  cobb salad (without cheese), few bites of chocolate dessert

Dinner:  some popcorn, grilled steak, salad, grilled corn

Workout:  so I pulled something doing lunges last night.  Today I'm taking it easy.

I don't know I keep having a "couple bites" of bad things.  It seems to be a recent though . . . 

Breakfast:  1/2 sweet potato w/coconut butter, scrambled eggs, few bites of my husband's Father's Day coffee cake, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  carrots w/baba ganoush, 1 slice of leftover gluten free pizza (no cheese)

Dinner:  grilled fish, carrots

Workout:  swimming with my kids

Today I was at a baby shower and I felt obligated to have a few bites of dessert.  I didn't really want it but I don't know, I just felt bad not eating it.  

I would advise you spend some time thinking about this. Ask yourself why you felt obligated to eat something you didn't really want. Was the reaction worth it? Learning to put your health and your desires above other people's thoughts on social eating etiquette will take you a long way. One of the most important lessons I have learned in the past year is I don't have to eat anything I don't want to eat and some things are really just not worth it.

I agree with Bethany.  I have gotten more comfortable over the past year saying "no".  It takes some time, I think, to become comfortable not going along with the crowd.  You'll get there.

I know.  It was one of those things where I didn't feel like explaining myself and it was a small group so everyone would have noticed. But you're right, I don't ever "need" to eat to something I don't want to.  I actually don't have a major problem with this -- this is the first occasion since my Whole 30 and my office is full of "treats."  

So now that I'm less than two weeks away from vacation I'm going to get stricter.  No sugar, no alcohol, and no carbs after breakfast.

Breakfast:  1/2 sweet potato w/coconut butter, scrambled eggs w/sauteed kale, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  kale salad, sausage

Dinner:  grilled chicken breasts, salad

Workout: weights

So I survived yesterday with no chocolate after dinner.  Way to go me!  

Breakfast:  1/2 sweet potato w/coconut butter, scrambled eggs w/sauteed kale, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  salad w/grilled salmon, iced tea

Snack:  Lara bar

Dinner: Thai beef w/basil and green beans, few bites of white basmati rice

Workout:  none

So I was starving yesterday.  I REALLY wish I was one of those women who just doesn't need to eat very much.  I have a lovely friend who is super petite and always eating super small meals and feeling "full."  That never happens to me.  Before I started the Whole 30 I was basically starving all the time.  I was always trying to eat smaller portions to lose weight, but miserably hungry (and I wasn't losing weight).  Things got better on the Whole 30 but mostly because I started eating huge breakfasts and adding more fat and protein to my meals to keep me satisfied.  But some days I still suffer.  Yesterday I thought my lunch would hold me over.  It was a big salad with a palm-sized portion of grilled salmon and an in-house made dressing.  By 1:30 pm I was absolutely starving and had to eat one of my Lara bars.  Then I barely made it until dinner because I was super hungry by about 5 pm.  Sigh.  I feel like I'll never lose weight!

Breakfast:  went to a breakfast meeting where as I suspected there were pastries and fruit so all I had was some fruit.  Also had three hard-boiled eggs and sweet potato w/coconut butter that I brought myself.  And coffee.

Lunch:  leftover Thai beef w/basil and green beans

Dinner:  again, not sure, but have options

Workout:  weights

I have to stick with lower glycemic foods, so I'm not eating sweet potatoes.     This is from "The Truth About Sugar".

"Sweet potatoes have many redeeming qualities: they are a great source of vitamin A, are full of fiber (especially if you leave on the skin) and are inexpensive and easy to prepare," Bannan says. "As criticism mounts against the traditional white potato -- too starchy, lacking in vitamins -- sweet potatoes are emerging as a viable replacement."

But health benefits aside, sweet potato fries are still ... French fries.

"In reality, sweet potatoes are not lower in calories than white potatoes, and this holds true for their fried versions. Sweet potatoes are relatively high in sugars: ounce for ounce, about five times as much sugar compared to the traditional potato. And fries are typically a savory dish, so restaurants are likely to balance out the sweetness with large amounts of salt. One teaspoon of salt has over 2,000 mg of sodium, so even an extra couple of shakes at the table are likely to send you over your daily salt allotment with one side dish!" she adds."

Keep at it and try to be patient.  I've been doing this for over a year and it gets easier.  You figure out what works for you to keep full.  Your body gets used to it, too.  I'm way more consistent now than I was at first.  I never need a snack now.  Well, almost never.  I would say 99.9% don't ever need a snack when I eat my normal meals.  When I deviate, say with a meal out, all bets are off.  Last night we ate out.  I had a chicken breast and sweet potato fries (ha ha given the above post - it's a very rare treat).  Knowing I never get enough veggies eating out, I brought along a big bag of veggies to munch on on our way from the restaurant to the soccer game.  What I didn't think of was a healthy fat, because, despite the fries having plenty of fat, I'm sure, I was hungry after the soccer game and before the long ride home, so had a larabar.  I'm ok with that.  It's ok to have a snack when you need it.  I try to not need it - making sure my meals are big enough, trying to be prepared with extras in case of inadequate meals, etc.  It's a learning process.  You'll get there.  In the meantime, I would try to take the focus off losing weight and focus on learning what your body needs to feel good.  Once you're confident that your usual food choices will hold you over between meals, then maybe play around to cut back a tiny bit to lose weight? 

Thanks Jen.  I know I've already made a lot of progress since I used to snack everyday and now I'm down to about twice a week.  Baby steps!  And you're right that snacks, as long as they are good choices, are not the worst thing ever.

I didn't post yesterday because I was out of the office all day for a work retreat.  Couldn't really bring my own food (nowhere to put it), but I think I did pretty well with the choices.

Yesterday:

Breakfast:  bacon, kale and three egg scramble, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  grilled chicken breast, ribs, coleslaw, potato salad (I'm sure the slaw and potato salad had sugar and yucky mayo in them but there were no other veggie choices and I wanted something besides meat!), watermelon

Dinner:  leftover chicken breast, large salad

Workout:  was outside most of the day so generally active

Today:

Breakfast:  bacon, kale and three egg scramble, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/meat sauce, chicken breast (I'm adding the chicken because I didn't have a lot of leftover sauce)

Dinner:  curried chicken and broccoli

Feeling really proud of my working out.  I know it's nothing compared to what I used to do (an hour at the gym five or six days a week) but even 20 minutes every other day of weight lifting makes me really happy!  And my sleep has been great this week too.  

Lunch:  curried chicken w/broccoli

Dinner:  two glasses of white wine, grilled shrimp, salad, dark chocolate

So I indulged last night and had two glasses of wine,which first of all hit me hard because I'm such a lightweight.  AND caused me to crave sugar so I had some dark chocolate after dinner (I know it could have been much worse).  Lesson learned -- one glass, fine.  Two, not so much!

Breakfast:  bacon and three egg scramble (ran out of kale), few bites of fruit at a kid birthday party, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover curried chicken, apple w/almond butter

Dinner:  pork tenderloin, roasted broccoli

Yeah, I often skip the wine not because I don't want the effects of the wine (it makes me sleepy but then not sleep well and I get very red), but more because I don't want the sugar cravings and lack of will-power that also comes with it.  So sad.

So naturally two days after my wine "incident" I had plans to meet a friend for drinks. I kept it to one drink though and didn't have a sugar craving.  Yay me!

Also, yesterday I had a bigger than usual lunch -- leftover curried chicken and broccoli over a little bit of a rice and it kept me super full all afternoon.  Hmm . . . I need to remember these days.

Yesterday:  

Breakfast:  bacon and three egg scramble, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover curried chicken and broccoli w/basmati rice

Pre-Dinner:  glass of white wine, kale salad

Dinner:  grilled chicken sausage, large salad, fresh corn on the cob, dark chocolate (small amount!)

Workout:  none, I was too tired

Today:

Breakfast:  bacon and two egg scramble (low on eggs!), sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  large kale salad w/grilled chicken

Dinner:  macadamia nuts, sauteed fish w/onions and olives, salad

Ha ha Lujo, it is!!  That's why I can't give it up!

So today was completely insane.  We are leaving on vacation tomorrow so it's already super hectic and then I had an unexpected sick kid.  My lunch was a total throw together as we pretty much have no food in the house and I had no time to prepare anything.

Breakfast:  bacon and two egg scramble (low on eggs!), sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  chicken breast, macadamia nuts, bar (kind of like a Lara bar, but not)

Dinner:  no idea, we have NO veggies in the house, but we do have some leftover pork tenderloin

Workout:  I'd like to lift weights as I ran out of time last night but who knows since we have to pack.

So I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and may not be able to post when I'm away -- I'll have my phone but I find it hard to navigate the site and type that way.  We're staying with and visiting family.  Here's where I am right now in looking ahead to the vacation.

Not worried about:

Gluten -- I know that seems funny but I feel so bad when I eat it that I just have zero desire.

Legumes -- can't really imagine that there will be any . . . and if so, easily avoided.

Sugar -- Again, this is funny since I struggle with sugar but I feel like most sugar temptations contain either gluten or dairy and since I can't have either I can't imagine I'll be eating much sugar (of course I'm sure I'll eat some as added sugar, but not much straight up sugar foods).  There isn't usually candy at the house so that is good.

Dairy -- I guess there could be some cheese and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had a little of that, but again other dairy doesn't tempt me because of what it does to my stomach.

Worried about:

Alcohol -- my family drinks A LOT.  There will be wine in abundance.  I'm sure I'll partake, but I need to really reign it in so it doesn't derail all the rest of my eating.

Vegetables -- I'm just worried about the selection . . . I guess I shouldn't panic until I see what the situation is.  I need a lot of veggies!

Sleep -- my kids always sleep horribly away from home.  Hoping they adjust but in past years I have been massively sleep deprived the entire time.

Exercise -- I'm bringing stuff to exercise, just need to make it happen.

Have fun and good luck eating on vacation!  My biggest problem when away from home is lack of vegetables, too!  It's odd how few most people eat and how few restaurants think is a serving.  If you have the ability, go to the store and get eggs, kale and sweet potatoes so at least you know you'll have a good breafast. 

Quick update from vacation. I'm doing ok with sleep and not tempted by gluten, legumes, or dairy (although I've had some cheese). I am probably having more wine and corn chips than I should and too few veggies but hanging in there. Not nearly enough exercise though. Need to work on that! More later!

• 2 weeks later...

Back from vacation.  I got sick with a bad cold (I think I caught it from my kids) at the end so I have been not doing much since I got back but I'm back at work today and hopefully on the mend!  

Assessing my struggles/triumphs on vacation based on my concerns going in:

Not worried:

Gluten -- I know that seems funny but I feel so bad when I eat it that I just have zero desire.  This was semi-true.  I didn't eat gluten on vacation but it was harder than I thought because being in a house that was so full of it I was often left with very little to eat and on my birthday I didn't even get to eat my own cake.  So it was just a struggle to accept where I am with gluten, but not so much to resist it.

Legumes -- can't really imagine that there will be any . . . and if so, easily avoided.  There was actually a bunch of hummus but I resisted that just fine.  One night we had chili and I went ahead and ate it (wasn't really a good alternative).  It was fine, didn't upset my stomach but the beans had cooked forever, so maybe that helped.

Sugar -- Again, this is funny since I struggle with sugar but I feel like most sugar temptations contain either gluten or dairy and since I can't have either I can't imagine I'll be eating much sugar (of course I'm sure I'll eat some as added sugar, but not much straight up sugar foods).  There isn't usually candy at the house so that is good.  There was chocolate in the house!  I ate some but small quantities.  Didn't have any other sugar items.

Dairy -- I guess there could be some cheese and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had a little of that, but again other dairy doesn't tempt me because of what it does to my stomach.  I did have cheese.  Due to the lack of options I often had cheese and meat for lunch with some veggies/fruit on the side.  One night we had lasagna, which was my biggest challenge night.  I avoided the noodles and just ate the insides. I ended up with HUGE stomach cramps, which I'm sure were caused by the ricotta.  I was also hungry because just eating the insides isn't really enough food.  BAD night!

Worried about:

Alcohol -- my family drinks A LOT.  There will be wine in abundance.  I'm sure I'll partake, but I need to really reign it in so it doesn't derail all the rest of my eating.  I did drink wine, but nothing over the top.  It didn't derail my eating at all.

Vegetables -- I'm just worried about the selection . . . I guess I shouldn't panic until I see what the situation is.  I need a lot of veggies!  Veggies were hard to come by for breakfast and lunch but I managed to eat a lot of salads for dinner and did eventually get some kale for my breakfast.

Sleep -- my kids always sleep horribly away from home.  Hoping they adjust but in past years I have been massively sleep deprived the entire time.  My kids struggled the first couple of nights, which were rough on all of us but eventually did sleep and I got in good naps.

Exercise -- I'm bringing stuff to exercise, just need to make it happen.  I completely failed in the beginning mostly because I wasn't getting enough sleep but did get some long walks in a one yoga session (yay!).

Now for yesterday and today's foods.  I'm doing well with eating since I got back and thrilled to have good options again!  My weight isn't great though -- it's where it was before I did my Whole 30 so 3 pounds up from the end of my Whole 30, 5 pounds up from last year, and 10 pounds up from my "good" weight.

Yesterday:

Breakfast:  sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  eggs w/sundried tomatoes

Dinner:  carrots w/baba ganoush, spaghetti squash w/sausage and tomato sauce, salad, two squares of dark chocolate

Today:  

Breakfast:  eggs w/one slice of bacon and kale, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/sausage and tomato sauce

Dinner:  chicken and veggie stir-fry

I'm a little angry that your family couldn't even get/make a gluten free cake for you on your own birthday. That just seems rude to me. Out of curiosity did you talk with your family about how you are trying to eat before your visit? My family has been very understanding of how I eat and my mother will at the very least take me to the store to buy what I need but last visit even jumped in and tried it with me. 

Ok mini rant done. Glad you are getting back in the swing of things now that you are home.

Archived