McJule's Post-Whole 30

mcjule

Jen, you are SO right about the treats.  The Friday stomachache was a huge wake-up call.  And I'm not sure what to make of the upset stomach on Saturday night after having the rice noodles because they have never caused me a problem before, but I'll keep an eye on that.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So last night was a lot of fun but it felt like it must be a weekend night because we were going out so kind of a bummer to have to go to work today!  I had two glasses of red wine, which I now think was too much, especially considering that there wasn't a lot of food (just passed hors d'oeuvres).  So after I got home I had some chocolate (too much wine leads to sugar eating for me).  Nothing crazy, but another lesson there.  I also didn't have time for weights -- it was just too late when we got home and I had to pack lunches etc.

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/tomatoes, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  tuna nicoise salad at a luncheon

Dinner:  spaghetti squash w/Italian sausage and sauce (I have this every week!), salad

Workout:  none

So trying to be positive today but it's hard.  My pink eye is still really bothering me -- it's disrupting my sleep so I'm exhausted and I really dislike not being able to see well and not feeling good about how I look!  Also, I got on the scale today because AF is finally gone and it's up.  I feel like I keep tweaking my diet and nothing is making the scale budge.  So feeling at a loss.

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/tomatoes, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/Italian sausage and tomato sauce

Dinner:  my husband has an event so I'm thinking of doing eggplant w/something or other

Workout:  hopefully I'll have the energy to do weights today

I'm not sure I'm doing so much better today but trying to change my attitude because it's Friday!  Yay!  My eye is still not better and I still feel a bit off (not sure if they are related or not).  I think my glasses are giving me a headache, which may be some of the problem.  I indulged in some work candy yesterday -- not the greatest choice.  Tonight I'm hosting a dinner for some girlfriends.  Not feeling totally up for it, but hoping it will make me feel better.  The menu is gluten-free save for some crackers that I won't eat, but I will have some wine and chocolate.

Lunch:  meeting a friend and I know where we're going so I'm going to have a salad -- not sure of the toppings yet

Dinner:  chicken marsala, rice, salad, wine, dark chocolate

Workout:  this just isn't going to happen until I feel better

Weekend went pretty well in terms of eating.  I was still feeling under the weather (as is my husband and one child) but we got through it.  I had too much wine Friday night so that wasn't so much fun on Saturday!  And I've been having lots of rice because it's leftover from Friday.  I'm not concerned about it because it seems like no diet tweaks make any difference to my weight so having rice is fine.  My weight is exactly the same as it's been for weeks -- a pound over where I started my Whole 30 and now 11 pounds above my goal weight.  I've also had a macaroon or two daily also leftover from Friday night.  They are good and I'm not eating candy so I consider that pretty good, but it will be nice when they are out of the house!

Yesterday:

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs w/sundried tomatoes, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  tuna sushi (met up with a friend)

Dinner:  leftover chicken marsala, rice, large salad, two small chocolate macaroons

Workout:  weights

Today:

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover chicken marsala, rice

Dinner:  Thai basil beef w/green beans, rice, two chocolate macaroons

Workout:  yoga

My stomach doesn't feel good and my weight is up.  I think I've been overdoing on the rice (I've had it twice a day for about four days now) and the dessert.  Of course I picked a day where two of my three meals will be "eat out" meals.  But I'm ready to regain control.

Breakfast:  at a meeting had eggs, bacon, sausage, and fruit, along with coffee

Lunch:  just found out my lunch meeting is not serving food so I'll be eating my breakfast!  three hb eggs w/tomatoes, sweet potato w/coconut butter

Dinner:  going out with a friend, need to check out the menu

Workout:  probably none considering the dinner out

So something I ate at dinner last night was not good for my stomach.  Not sure what it was -- I tried to be careful with the food but I didn't feel right after dinner.  Anyhow, feeling very motivated to stay on track after that!

Also, my breakfast yesterday was SO filling, it was great!  I wasn't stuffed but I also wasn't hungry until 1 pm.  I'm always on the lookout for what fills me up and what doesn't.  I had scrambled eggs (but not three, I could tell from the size), three strips of bacon and three small sausage links.  TOTALLY filling.  I need more meals like that.  Often I eat and am almost immediately hungry again and I hate that because it leads to bad snacking.

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, tomatoes, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover Thai beef with green beans and basil, avocado, candy

Dinner:  spaghetti squash w/tomato sauce, salad, few bites of my husband's pizza crust

I am just off this week.  Last night my husband's pizza smelled amazing so I had a couple bites.  I haven't done that since pre-Whole 30.  I also had a couple pieces of candy at work.  Maybe I need a Whole-something to get back on track.  My only hesitation with doing the Whole 30 again is the social events and eating out.  I ended up either not going, not eating, or giving the waiters the fifth degree during my Whole 30 and that was my least favorite part.  I don't want to be a hermit but I need to get my eating and weight back to where it should be.

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, tomatoes, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover Thai beef w/basil, avocado

Dinner:  grilled chicken breasts, salad

Workout:  probably none, I'll see

You should join me in no sugar / sweets  It's so much easier than a W anything.  I try to eat meals and not snack and mostly eat my W30 staples for meals at home, but don't worry about anything other than not eating dessert when eating away from home.  Much more sustainable.  I'm not losing weight this way, but I'm maintaining without thinking about it and I like that, at least.  When I feel up to it, I'll tackle the nutbutter, but for now, just not eating desserts or sweets of any kind is good. 

Jen, as soon as I read your message I decided no sugar was for me!  I'm on day 5 now.  Are you careful about the added sugar too?  I was super strict during my whole 30 but now I occasionally have sausage/bacon that has added sugar.  I'm also going to do no grains.  No wheat is obvious (although I had some a few times in the past week) but I really need to buckle to get my weight and stomach in order.  Rice is really the only grain I eat so that is out for now.  I'm not sure I can make it through the end of the year, but I'm going to see how long I can go!

NS Day 5

NG Day 1

Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/cod and sausage and tomatoes

Dinner:  going to a church dinner -- the food is always meh.  There is usually chicken and a veggie and then stuff I can't eat -- rolls and pasta or rice.  Update:  had chicken, which was breaded, so took that off, and broccoli

Workout: Yoga!!~!

Yay!  Welcome.  I just avoid sweets/desserts.  If I'm making a recipe that calls for a bit of sugar (thai sauce for example) or if I'm out and about, I don't worry about added sugar.  It's about not stressing about it.  W30 is too restrictive to do all the time.  I want eating to be calm and not stressful.  I gave myself a few exceptions so that if I come across something that is worth it, I don't feel like I ruined it and might as well just eat everything.  So, I'm doing 100 days about until the end of the year, but giving myself 4 exception desserts plus the holiday meals.  That should be plenty!  Mostly, it just cuts out the mindless eating of husband's ice cream or candy dishes at work or whatever.  Glad to have you along! 

Yesterday was one of those crazy days at work and I definitely wanted candy mid-afternoon when I hit my slump, but it felt so good to avoid it.  And of course I survived, I didn't NEED it.  I just wanted it.  But I know sugar doesn't make me feel any better.  So I'm feeling good about my eating.  I also got to yoga yesterday which was so needed and wonderful.  Wish I could do it more often but once a week isn't bad!  

I was looking at my breakfast this morning and thinking how huge it is and how it could really be both breakfast and lunch.  But then I remembered back to when I ate tiny breakfasts and spent my afternoon starving and therefore snacked. I would love to make it smaller, but I can't go back to that.

NS Day 6

NG Day 2

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/tomatoes, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk, berries

Lunch:  I have to go out.  I'm sure I couldn't have put something together at home (Jen, I have tuna and avocado and thought of you!) but I just didn't have time.  I'll get a salad.  Update:  got a cobb salad at Chop't (no cheese and extra avocado)

Dinner:  grilled chicken kabobs, salad

Workout:  none (had some weird stomach issues, like I ate something bad, after dinner)

I'm with you - I don't want to go back to being hungry all day and needing to stockpile snacks.  I love not thinking about it and knowing that I can make it between meals no problem and that if I do get hungry, I can still survive to the next meal without being a complete distracted mess like I used to be.  I'm on NS10.  It gets to be a habit where you just don't think about it.  The nice thing about picking just this one thing is that on days like today when you have to or want to go out, all you have to worry about is not ordering dessert.  The rest isn't against any rules.  I usually still choose something healthy because that makes me feel better, but I like not fretting about what might be in dressings, etc.  Get a good salad! :)  I need to get a spag squash!  If I get out early enough, maybe I can stop at the farmer's market.  Last week, husband went over there and got me an anniversary bouquet of kale! :wub:

I love the anniversary bouquet of kale!  Hilarious!  Spaghetti squash just showed up at our farmer's market so that is exciting.  I also joined a fall/winter CSA that starts in a couple weeks so it will be interesting to see what I get.  

NS Day 7

NG Day 3

Lunch:  two small cans of tuna w/tomatoes and avocado

Snack:  Lara bar (apparently lunch was not enough food!)

Dinner:  meat sauce w/ roasted broccoli and cauliflower

So I thought I had a spaghetti squash but apparently I didn't.  This was an unfortunate realization at 7:30 pm last night!  Anyhow, I just put my meat sauce over broccoli and cauliflower and it was good.  My weight is also finally down below my Whole 30 starting weight so it looks like things are moving in the right direction.  I think my no sugar and no grains are helping.  I also haven't had wine since last weekend so that is good too.

NS Day 8

NG Day 4

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/cherry tomatoes, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover broccoli and cauliflower w/meat sauce (avocado if needed)

Dinner:  I think we're out of food so it may be take-out night

Workout:  My chest cold is still bothering me, which is making it hard to motivate to work out so we'll see . . . 

Weekend went well and I stayed on track.  Had some wine but no grains or sugar.  This is definitely keeping me accountable!  I thought about having some corn chips at a party on Saturday but then thinking about confessing to it on Monday kept me away!  

NS Day 11

NG Day 7

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond and coconut milk (I forgot to buy kale AND tomatoes so I'm stuck with just eggs!)

Lunch:  spaghetti squash w/sausage and tomato sauce, 1/2 avocado

Snack:  Lara bar

Dinner:  chicken curry w/veggies

Workout:  none (lifted weights yesterday)

I got starving again yesterday afternoon.  I think my problem was not enough protein at lunch.  I had a huge serving of spaghetti squash that I thought would fill me up but only a 150 calorie sausage for my protein so I think that did me in.

NS Day 12

NG Day 8

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond and coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover curried chicken and veggies

Dinner:  large salad

So my lunch today is going to be too small.  It's the same lunch I had Monday, but with even less spaghetti squash.  I really did not plan well for lunches this week!  I almost just decided to go out instead but I like bringing lunch.  So we'll see.  I'll probably need a Lara bar.  

NS Day 13

NG Day 9

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut milk, coffee w/almond and coconut milk

Lunch:  spaghetti squash w/sausage and tomato sauce

Dinner:  grilled chicken breasts, salad

Was away from my office all day yesterday so I didn't get to post.  I had sushi last night so that ended my no grains run, but I did 10 days so that is great in my opinion.  I'm having leftover sushi today for lunch but then I'll start the countdown again.  I do think it's fine to have occasionally but glad that I'm really cutting back.

Yesterday:

NS Day 14

Breakfast:  three eggs w/bacon, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond milk and coconut milk

Lunch:  chicken breast over salad

Dinner:  carrots w/baba ganoush, sushi

Workout:  weights and TONS of walking (over 17,000 steps)

Today:  

NS Day 15

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond milk and coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover sushi

Dinner:  not sure, have a couple options

Workout:  none, I need to rest!

Oh goodness I haven't posted since Friday!  I did okay over the weekend -- had some kettle corn from the pumpkin patch and rice with our take-out Indian food on Friday night but I'm back to the no grains.  My weight is DOWN (Yay!).  Still not at post-Whole 30 levels, but still down from last week so I'm happy.  

NS Day 18

NG Day 2

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/heirloom tomatoes, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  chicken breast and avocado over salad, cashews

Dinner:  carrots w/baba ganoush, 1/2 pear, glass of white wine

So last night's dinner was NOT the best.  No sugar or grains, but really not a dinner.  I did not do a good job meal planning this week.  We do have tons of frozen meat and I just got my CSA share of veggies so we have stuff, I just need to plan better.  Right now I have some grass fed pastured ground beef thawing in the fridge!  Also resulted in me not really having a lunch today.  I may have to go buy something . . . 

NS Day 19

NG Day 3

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/heirloom tomatoes, fruit, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  sweet potato w/coconut butter, cashews, Lara bar

Dinner:  beef w/green beans and mushrooms, glass of white wine

This really has not been a good week.  Yes, I'm avoiding sugar and grains but I haven't been getting nearly enough sleep and my eating has been bad because of lack of food/planning (see, e.g. yesterday's lunch!).  I really need to get to bed earlier tonight . . . I think that will make everything better.

NS Day 20

NG Day 4

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/heirloom tomatoes, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover beef w/green beans and mushrooms (I made up this recipe using the veggies from my CSA but it was just okay . . . not enough seasoning I think)

Dinner:  large salad w/sausage

Workout:  take two on the weights

Still tired, but did get in my weight workout yesterday and weight is still in a good place (not where I want it to be, but it has moved down a few pounds from a couple weeks ago).  Tonight I'm going out to a Mexican restaurant and I don't really see how I can avoid grains entirely.  Yes, I'm sure there is a way but I will probably give in to some corn (the rice is more easily avoided).  But no sugar will continue!

NS Day 21

NG Day 5

Lunch:  Cobb salad (no cheese)

Dinner:  chips and salsa and guacamole, shrimp tacos, margaritas

Weekend eating was ok.  We really didn't have enough food in the house so both days I had an apple w/almond butter for lunch and then supplemented with some carrots and baba ganoush and some popcorn.  We also went out to dinner both nights and I did better on Saturday night, but still not great eating.  So back on track today.  At least I had fun!

NS Day 23

NG Day 1

Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/meat sauce

Dinner:  Paleo pad thai

Workout:  probably none, lifted weights yesterday

Archived