McJule's Post-Whole 30

mcjule

NS Day 24

NG Day 1

Yup, I'm back to day 1 with grains.  Intended to use spaghetti squash in my pad thai but I had had spaghetti squash for two of my last three meals and it just didn't appeal to me so I went with rice noodles that I cooked for my husband.  Not feeling too bad about it but I want to have longer spans between my non-gluten grains.

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  cobb salad w/turkey

Snack:  tortilla chips w/guacamole

Dinner:   leftover pad thai

Workout:  none

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm not doing well with the no grains.  But at least I'm succeeding on no sugar!  I'm also feeling sick (again!).  I swear I've had a multitude of different colds this fall.  I had a chest cold a few weeks ago and now I have a super sore throat.  I was too tired and not feeling well enough for weights yesterday.  I'll try again tonight.

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, fruit, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  salad w/seared tuna

Dinner:  sushi

Workout:  weights

NS Day 26

This week has really been a failure in meal planning.  I think I'm just too tired.  I haven't been sleeping well or enough and I just can't seem to figure out meals.  Plus I've been having non-gluten grains almost daily, I think in large part because I don't have enough other food. I need to do better next week.  But I am keeping up with no sugar and I haven't had alcohol since last weekend.

Lunch:  leftover pad thai

Dinner:  salad

Workout:  yoga

Great job on NS!!!!  I fell off the wagon on my work trip.  After resisting temptation all day long, I didn't have it in me to not have the bite of sorbet they dished up for me.  So, I decided to just give myself a pass.  As long as it was a shared dessert, I was fine.  I never gave in to the cookies, though!  I will probably start NS over now.  I'll need to make sure I get back into the habit of not having any.  Especially with Halloween coming up.  My goal is ZERO candies. 

Jen, I'm really scared for Halloween.  How can I avoid candy on Halloween?  Ah!!!  

This week was just not good but surprisingly my weight isn't really up.  My schedule has been off with a lot of kid activities/school closings/school field trips and we just had total lack of planning.  I'm trying to journal on the weekends so I don't get totally off-track.

Friday:

NS Day 27

Lunch:  was on a field trip and there was nothing that I could eat (and I was too rushed to pack something easy like a Lara bar) so I didn't eat and was starving later on.  Had leftover paleo pad thai, and apple, and WAY too much almond butter

Dinner:  we ordered Chinese from an organic Chinese place -- had veggies and pork (avoided the rice), glass of wine

Workout:  none other than tons of walking

Saturday:

NS Day 28

Lunch:  at a kid birthday party, had some fruit and a few potato chips, carrots w/baba ganoush

Dinner:  leftover Chinese food, glass of wine

Just remember that it's so much easier to have none than to have one and stop.  The years I've managed to have not one piece not even a bite, I am so much happier.  The years I tell myself I'll just have one or two, I end up having 10 and then fighting it all week and am not happy.  It's easier not to start than it is to stop!  We can do it!

Ok, feeling like I can withstand Halloween.  And you're right, it's not even like the candy is that special.  We're not talking homemade truffles, we're talking Snickers bars.  I should rise above!  I just bought our candy and hid it from my kids/husband.  

Speaking of, we went to a Halloween party yesterday and all the food was supposed to be healthful but I had some popcorn and it definitely had something sweet in it.  And I didn't spit it out -- I had more.  I think that may mean I need to restart my no sugar count . . . 

Sunday

Breakfast:  1/2 sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  scrambled eggs w/sausage, pear

Snack:  popcorn with sweet stuff

Dinner:  chicken breasts, large salad, baby carrots w/baba ganoush

Monday

Breakfast:  1/2 sweet potato w/coconut butter, scrambled eggs, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  large salad w/leftover chicken breast

Dinner:  cod (not sure yet how I'll make it), broccoli

NS Day 2 (since I'm counting Sunday as a day off -- I still made it about a month with no sugar -- yay me!)

NG Day 2

Lunch:  leftover cod wrapped in bacon, roasted broccoli

Dinner:  spaghetti squash w/Italian meatballs, salad

Thanks Jen.  I am little concerned about this weekend.  We are hosting a dinner and I'm making a gluten-free chocolate dessert.  I'm sure I can avoid having a large serving, but a bite?  Might be too hard!

Very happy to report that my weight is still staying down (it's about two pounds under where I started my Whole 30).  Still 8 pounds from where I'd like to be, but for now I'll take it!

NS Day 3

NG Day 3

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/heirloom tomatoes, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/Italian meatballs, 1/2 Lara bar

Dinner:  buffalo burger w/sauteed mushrooms (made with butter -- they were TO DIE FOR!), large salad, glass of red wine

It will have to be a game-time decision.  I'm actually pretty good at "just one bite" I just don't want to make a habit of it because one bite adds up to a lot of sugar!  I used to bake all the time and I would almost always sample the dough but never the final product.  So we'll see how Saturday goes.

It's interesting Jen, my problem seems to be that eating sugar easily becomes a habit, not so much that I overeat at any specific time.  So I can easily just have two pieces of candy at work but once I start doing that I'll do it daily.  Plus I find sugar is slippery slope for me and I start eating other stuff that isn't so great for me.  The only food I have really struggled with overreating is nuts/nut butter so I usually have to avoid it altogether.  It's worse at work for whatever reason so I don't keep any here and I don't keep nuts that I just LOVE, like cashews at home at all.  In the past I've had to ban nut butters from my home too.

NS Day 4

NG Day 4

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/heirloom tomatoes (from my CSA -- these are great, but probably the last of the season), sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  large salad w/chicken, 1/2 Lara Bar (my poor avocado wasn't ripe yet)

Dinner:  coconut curry chicken w/veggies, few bites of rice

Workout: weights

My no grains is not going so well.  I was TOO tempted by the rice I made for my husband last night and even put a couple spoonfuls in my lunch for today.  My goal, however, is not to have zero grains, but just cut down on the non-gluten grains (I try not to have any gluten).  I'm thinking once a week is what I should be aiming for.  Still resisting the candy, which is EVERYWHERE!  Ah!  Also, my son woke up at 5:45 am, WAY too early.  I am exhausted.

On a happier note, my weight is dropping, ever so slowly, but I'm thrilled.

NS Day 5

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/heirloom tomatoes, sweet potato w/coconut, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover coconut chicken curry w/veggies and rice

Dinner:  salad w/chicken (ordered pizza for the husband and kids and I had a salad), red wine

Workout:  just lots of walking

I DIDN'T HAVE ANY HALLOWEEN CANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so proud of myself.  Not one taste!  I won't say that I officially conquered it until it's all out of the house . . .   I did have two glasses of red wine last night.  Still better than candy!

Also woke up today to find my weight back at my post-Whole 30 weight -- SO wonderful.  Only seven pounds from my goal, which somehow sounds a lot better than 10 pounds away.

NS Day 6

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs w/fresh sausage, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  had family over and ordered BBQ take-out - pulled pork and chicken, potato salad, coleslaw (not full of sugar thankfully)

Dinner:  lunch leftovers

The streak continues -- no Halloween candy!  Our supply is getting low thanks to my husband and kids eating it so I'm feeling even less tempted (the good stuff is gone anyway).  I'm pretty sure I've NEVER avoided candy on Halloween.  So proud of myself!  

In other news, I do feel like I ate a lot this weekend -- we had a lot of social events.  And this morning I had some cheese and now I'm all gassy (pretty sure they are related because I rarely have dairy and know it affects me).  

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  at a kid birthday party that surprisingly had food I could eat -- fruit, some egg casserole, lox, veggies, cheese

Dinner:  leftover pulled pork, potato salad, coleslaw

Workout:  none (I slept well and napped so I'm feeling awesome and taking the day off)

Still feeling so happy about the no candy.  But this morning i made the mistake of getting on the scale and it was up four pounds from Saturday.  Of course this is EXACTLY why you shouldn't weigh daily.  I did not gain 4 pounds in 48 hours, but now I'm bummed out.  

Breakfast:  pulled pork, coffee w/coconut milk (in a mad rush)

Lunch:  leftover chicken and veggies

Dinner:  salmon, sweet potato wedge, beets, glass of wine, caramel

Workout:  none (too tired, but did tons of walking)

Just don't think about it.  It's not worth it.  I can't stop myself (yet) from stepping on the scale, but I am getting better about not letting it get to me.  Cabbage makes me bloat - maybe it's the coleslaw you had for dinner.  It'll go away as long as you continue no candy and eating well.

Well, AF arrived today, which is a good thing because it will keep me from stepping on the scale for the next week.  

Also, I ended up having sugar yesterday, BUT it was for a good reason (and NOT Halloween candy).  Yesterday was my wedding anniversary and my husband brought home dinner and homemade caramels.  Honestly I would have preferred no dessert but he went to a lot of effort and they were special so I had one small caramel.  I savored it and didn't have a second.

Daylight savings is throwing me off.  I was SO tired last night I couldn't do my weights and my kids keep waking up at ridiculously early hours . . . hopefully this will pass soon!

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/kale, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover BBQ chicken (ran out of time to get a veggie addition . . . kind of gross to just eat meat!)

Snack:  veggies, tortilla chips w/guacamole

Dinner:  salad w/chicken

AF was likely the cause of the gain, then.  I always gain right before.  It's annoying, but at least you know the cause. 

I would have had the homemade caramels, too.  But, I probably couldn't have stopped at one, so good for you!  Happy Anniversary!  How many years? 

I HATE DST!  I woke up at 4am today and couldn't get back to sleep.  It was 430 the past two mornings.  One of these days it will catch up with me and I'll be so tired I just sleep through my body clock telling me to wake up.  Can't wait for that day!

I'm still hating DST.  I am SO tired at night it's just crazy and then up way too early in the morning.  I need to adjust!  

Yesterday was kind of a mess.  My lunch didn't fill me up (I feared this would happen) and so I had some veggies at an afternoon event, which turned into me also eating a bunch of corn chips (they were so salty and I crave salt when AF is here).  Then I felt gross, not stomach crampy ate dairy/gluten gross, but just yucky.  I also wildly miscalculated how long it would take to vote last night so I had to scrap my dinner plans.  Hoping today will be a better day!

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, fruit, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  spaghetti squash w/Italian sausage and tomato sauce

Dinner:  Thai beef and green beans

Workout:  weights (I hope I have the energy tonight!)

Archived