jt_bama

Is this something that happens to you regularly (ie. outside of doing a Whole 30)? Or do you think it's related to the way that you're eating now? Are you at a stage in your cycle where that could be affecting your energy and mood?

Good luck with today - be gentle with yourself and eat good food!

Maybe you are getting sick?  I've been feeling really good since finishing my whole 30 and mostly sticking to the program.  However last week, I came home and fully intended on doing a couple hours of housework (after working a full day of work and going to pilates class.)  I went into my bedroom to change clothes and instantly just wanted to crawl in bed.  I fought the urge for a few minutes and then thought "What the heck?  Maybe I AM tired!"  So I got in bed and read a book until the rest of the family got home.  And amazingly enough, the world didn't end cuz I skipped house cleaning for one day.  Sometimes you just need to rest.

Side rant:  I feel as women/mothers/wives, our jobs are not 8-5, our jobs are 24 hours a day.  In general, the buck stops with us.  Sometimes we ARE tired and we DO need to rest.  We need to take care of ourselves, otherwise we burn out.

I did experience something similar when I did my first whole 30. I found that I was really weepy and crying all the time. I think…(totally my opinion) that my body was releasing some emotions and feelings that I had held onto for a long time. Just because we are doing a toxic release of our bodies does not mean it will not affect us emotionally. Since doing my first whole 30 (in midst of second one right now) I have found that I have found my creative spark again. Make sure you are eating enough and getting enough rest. Take a nap and cuddle yourself. I had to take a 2 hour nap almost everyday on my first round. Also, I always felt like I was a week behind the schedule that was set up in the book. This time through, I am having angry spells (get out my angry wig) and SUPER cravings for things I don't even normally eat. We are all different and we will all respond differently to toxic release. Good luck! Don't give up. You are almost at the end and it is worth it. Otherwise I would not have done a second one. Although right now I am cursing myself for starting another but I'll get through this stronger and better and so will you. :)

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses. Just being able to vent to a community that understands really helps. I did what you all suggested which was to get some rest and continued to eat good food. I'm still in a bit of a slump, but feeling a bit better already. I'm not sure what the cause may be. It could be that I actually need to eat more at breakfast. I do agree that allowing our bodies to get enough rest is a major part of all of this too. It can be easy to forget that. Thanks again for the help! 

jt- sorry to hear you are feeling down. Sometimes when people feel this way on the whole30 it is a sign that they have not been eating enough starchy carbs (or eating enough in general), so it might help to intentionally include a few sweet potatoes/winter squash/plantains/parsnips, etc. over the next few days and see if it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I considered it my detox period.   The struggle my body had to rebalance/reset.  Everyone describes it differently.  Some sail through and some barely keep their head above water.  I was actually pretty healthy already after spending a year eating Paleo.  I had "Paleofied" a lot of foods and my sugar intake was way too high, though.  That was my motivation for starting the Whole30, not weight loss.

I had the most vicious cravings.  It was insane.  For me, sugar is a drug and boy did my body fight to get its fix!  No amount of carb substitution helped.  FAT did (coconut oil).

It is hard to offer advice when I know it works for some and not for others.  I guess you just continue to try things until you find a template that works for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same kind of thing during week 3-4. I think doing light exercise and increasing carbs overall has helped a lot. I plan to just stick it out, it may be completely unrelated to the whole30. Also if you've been missing out on social occasions like i have then it may be a bit related to that. 

Archived