Brewer5: First Whole 30

Brewer5

Not new to Paleo -- our family made the switch about 1.5 years ago.

I am looking to tighten things up a bit for myself.  I've found myself too often unprepared, stressed out, and hitting too many drive-throughs lately.  

Starting tomorrow (May 1) and would like to keep a log here for accountability.

Honestly the ONLY thing I am not sure what I am going to do about is my PRE-workout meal before I head to the gym 3 days per week.

I have a "nervous stomach" / sensitive stomach / not even sure what to call it these days.  It comes and goes, and is definitely worse when my anxiety is up.

Anyway -- I don't want to go to the gym with no breakfast, but I also do NOT do well with the standard "protein + fat" recommendation.  Hard-boiled eggs, macadamia nuts... anything too heavy or that actually requires much digestion, and I am having stomach issues when I should be going out the door.

I have a bag of 100% GRASS-FED whey protein with NO additives -- no other ingredients -- and I usually mix two scoops of that with about two bites of banana, one tablespoon of fat (either unsweetened cashew butter or MCT oil), and *just* enough unsweetened almond milk to make this into a thick pudding.

If I can't figure out something else that is easy on my stomach like this, I will be doing a "Whole 30 + 12 mornings of grass-fed whey protein".

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you use whey protein, you will not being doing a Whole30. This is not negotiable. 

Thanks Tom, that was super helpful.  I was so glad to see that there was a response -- hoping maybe someone had another easy-to-digest option for me to try on those mornings before I go to the gym.

I've read the book cover-to-cover -- twice.  I took the time to sign up for the forum for support.  I paid the $14.95 for the daily emails.  I put my start date as tomorrow.  I started a thread so I can log my food and be accountable to it.

I AM doing a Whole 30.

I find it interesting that grass-fed whey protein most certainly is negotiable if I said I were a vegetarian.

To clarify, are you doing a vegetarian Whole30? If so, then yes, that is the only situation in which the grass fed whey protein is acceptable.

If you are doing the omnivore Whole30, the grass fed whey protein is off-limits.  No dairy allowed on the omnivore program. Could you try something like chicken and olives pre WO?

Brewer .. you mentioned hard boiled eggs as not being palatable in the morning.  Would soft scrambled eggs (in ghee) work better?  I've always found the softness of scrambled eggs a lot more easy on the stomach than a lot of things.  I also had a "sensitive" stomach from many years until my late 30s when I learned how to deal with stress in better ways and scrambled eggs were one of the few things that didn't bother me. I realize it might not work for everyone.

To clarify, are you doing a vegetarian Whole30? If so, then yes, that is the only situation in which the grass fed whey protein is acceptable.

If you are doing the omnivore Whole30, the grass fed whey protein is off-limits.  No dairy allowed on the omnivore program. Could you try something like chicken and olives pre WO?

I am not doing a vegetarian Whole 30.  

I am quite familiar with Paleo, and I understand that "NO dairy" is ideal, for a Whole 30 especially.  

The problem is that my trainer wants me to eat breakfast, which of course is a good idea -- I just need to find something that will agree with my stomach.  First thing in the morning, when I am in a hurry, and in a mild state of anxiety because I don't want to be late.  I get nervous when my stomach is upset, and my stomach gets upset when I am nervous.  ...It's a lot of fun to be me.  :)

I am willing to try chicken and olives.  I am willing to try just about anything -- so thanks for the suggestion.  All I know at this point is that eggs & macadamia nuts did not go well.

Brewer .. you mentioned hard boiled eggs as not being palatable in the morning.  Would soft scrambled eggs (in ghee) work better?  I've always found the softness of scrambled eggs a lot more easy on the stomach than a lot of things.  I also had a "sensitive" stomach from many years until my late 30s when I learned how to deal with stress in better ways and scrambled eggs were one of the few things that didn't bother me. I realize it might not work for everyone.

Hmmm...  You know, I will have to try this on a gym morning and see how I do.  TIME has been an issue, so I've been looking for things that I can grab really quick (AND that are easy on my stomach).  But I could even scramble up some eggs the night before.  I have no objection to eating cold eggs.

Is it possible that it's the quantity of food that you're eating beforehand that's the stressor? Have you tried having just a bite of egg (like maybe half an egg) and a few nuts? That might be sufficiently lighter that your stomach doesn't protest.

Is it possible that it's the quantity of food that you're eating beforehand that's the stressor? Have you tried having just a bite of egg (like maybe half an egg) and a few nuts? That might be sufficiently lighter that your stomach doesn't protest.

Could be.  I will have to experiment, trying different things, for sure.  This one will be easy, because I am not actually hungry that early in the morning anyway.  Certainly not starving.  Just eating because I am supposed to.

It's also possible that your sensitive stomach might be due to some other food that would be cut out by Whole30. Not that I want to sound like the frequently grumpy moderator above, but maybe try some of the suggestions (olives, chicken, ghee-scrambled eggs) and give your body a chance to 'reset'. 

It's also possible that your sensitive stomach might be due to some other food that would be cut out by Whole30. Not that I want to sound like the frequently grumpy moderator above, but maybe try some of the suggestions (olives, chicken, ghee-scrambled eggs) and give your body a chance to 'reset'. 

I hope to be able to do that.  I am excited to have a "reset" -- that's why I am here.  :)

I have completely cut out whey protein for months at a time since starting Paleo, but I bought some again when I started going to the gym and I needed something (really) quick that is easy on my stomach.  It could be causing other symptoms I am not aware of... but it has been GREAT for my digestion on those mornings.  It's been worth it to me to know I had something to rely on.

I am definitely going to try the suggestions I have had here, and I do appreciate them.  I will be sure to report back whether I actually make it to the gym tomorrow morning or not.  haha  ;)

Day 1 

M1:  scrambled eggs with kale & onion, cooked in pastured bacon grease w/ herbamare seasoning.  11 oz. organic coffee, black.

M2:  can of Polar tuna, organic gala apple, 1/2 avocado.

M3:  grass-fed sirloin w/ mocha steak rub seasoning from ISWF, broccoli roasted in coconut oil, 1/2 avocado.

Not a bad day, considering I had an unexpected visitor here when I "should" have been preparing lunch.  Also had an unexpected baseball practice sprung on me this evening for my son.  Also discovered both bags of (crappier, farm-raised) fish I had in the freezer were in a state of frost bite and had to be trashed instead of cooked as planned.

Overall, feeling good.  Definitely need to go to the store for some items.  I see room here for more veggies.  :)

Day 2

M1:  scrambled eggs (2) in pastured bacon grease, 10 raspberries.

M2:  grass-fed beef burger, zucchini, carrots, onion, green beans, bell peppers in coconut oil, 15 raspberries, 11 oz. coffee.

M3:  grass-fed beef burger, apple & carrots with cashew butter (homemade -- just cashews & MCT oil).

M4:  hard-boiled eggs (2), raw macadamia nuts (1 oz).

This was a gym day = heavy lifting.  My stomach was "okay" with this small-ish breakfast -- so thanks again for the suggestions.  But I definitely did feel the need for that 4th meal today.  I will have to really work on making M2 & M3 a lot bigger on workout days, if I don't want to have that M4 in there.

Realized today I did not actually do an intro.  In case anyone is going to continue reading this thread -- just wanted to say I am a 35-year-old female, mom of three boys who learn at home (and beyond!).  Not looking to lose a lot of weight, but definitely wanting to be the healthiest & strongest I can be.   :)

Day 2

M1:  scrambled eggs (2) in pastured bacon grease, 10 raspberries.

M2:  grass-fed beef burger, zucchini, carrots, onion, green beans, bell peppers in coconut oil, 15 raspberries, 11 oz. coffee.

M3:  grass-fed beef burger, apple & carrots with cashew butter (homemade -- just cashews & MCT oil).

M4:  hard-boiled eggs (2), raw macadamia nuts (1 oz).

This was a gym day = heavy lifting.  My stomach was "okay" with this small-ish breakfast -- so thanks again for the suggestions.  But I definitely did feel the need for that 4th meal today.  I will have to really work on making M2 & M3 a lot bigger on workout days, if I don't want to have that M4 in there.

Realized today I did not actually do an intro.  In case anyone is going to continue reading this thread -- just wanted to say I am a 35-year-old female, mom of three boys who learn at home (and beyond!).  Not looking to lose a lot of weight, but definitely wanting to be the healthiest & strongest I can be.   :)

Assuming you're using your M1 as your preWO, try following the preWO recommendations, which is protein and fat, no fruit.  Then, post WO, have a protein and (veg) carb within 15-30 minutes after your workout.  See if that helps you. It's not clear how big your portions are at your meals. Look to meet the template recommendations of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat at each of your main meals.

Assuming you're using your M1 as your preWO, try following the preWO recommendations, which is protein and fat, no fruit.  Then, post WO, have a protein and (veg) carb within 15-30 minutes after your workout.  See if that helps you. It's not clear how big your portions are at your meals. Look to meet the template recommendations of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat at each of your main meals.

Thanks.  I am not weighing & measuring most things... yes, trying to stick to the guidelines in the book.  I'm good on the protein & fat, but I know I could be eating more vegetables, for sure.  Heading to stock up at the store today and then there will be PLENTY to choose from this week.  I do understand the power of fibrous veggies for making you feel full and satisfied longer...  I just started my Whole 30 with less groceries here than is advisable.  ;)

The raspberries Pre-WO:  I was washing them for the kids, and for some reason they were just calling to me.  I argued with myself about whether to have them, and ultimately decided that it wasn't going to hurt anything.  {shrug}  So it was funny to me that you singled them out!  :D

On another topic ~ I signed up for the Daily Emails and I am so bummed that I haven't gotten any past Day 1.  I DID click the right link at the end of Day 1, and I watched the "pep talk" video, but then yesterday I did not receive one, and I haven't gotten any today, either.  :(  I emailed about it, but not sure how long this should take to get a response?  I paid $15 to get this daily support and tips, and really wanted to have that newsletter each day to look forward to.

Thanks.  I am not weighing & measuring most things... yes, trying to stick to the guidelines in the book.  I'm good on the protein & fat, but I know I could be eating more vegetables, for sure.  Heading to stock up at the store today and then there will be PLENTY to choose from this week.  I do understand the power of fibrous veggies for making you feel full and satisfied longer...  I just started my Whole 30 with less groceries here than is advisable.   ;)

The raspberries Pre-WO:  I was washing them for the kids, and for some reason they were just calling to me.  I argued with myself about whether to have them, and ultimately decided that it wasn't going to hurt anything.  {shrug}  So it was funny to me that you singled them out!   :D

On another topic ~ I signed up for the Daily Emails and I am so bummed that I haven't gotten any past Day 1.  I DID click the right link at the end of Day 1, and I watched the "pep talk" video, but then yesterday I did not receive one, and I haven't gotten any today, either.   :(  I emailed about it, but not sure how long this should take to get a response?  I paid $15 to get this daily support and tips, and really wanted to have that newsletter each day to look forward to.

Sorry about the email situation. Assuming you emailed [email protected], that's the correct email to get this resolved.

Day 3

M1:  ground turkey "skillet meal" w/ diced onion, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, apple, cinnamon, salt, coconut oil.  11 oz. coffee.

M2:  ^ repeat M1 + gala apple (minus coffee)

M3:  ^ repeat M1 + 15 raspberries

Busy day today, traveling to the big city to stock up on groceries.  Lots of great food purchased at Costco and Trader Joe's.  Proud of myself, making even better choices at the stores and not being tempted by "treats".  We were gone from home for about 7 hours and I did not even feel the need to snack in that time.  ...This may be the first day of my life where I ate the same thing for all 3 meals, though... lol.

Day 4

M1:  scrambled eggs (3) w/ lots of kale & onion, cooked in bacon grease with herbamare, 1/2 avocado.  11 oz. coffee

M2:  can of Polar tuna, 1/2 avocado, (10) green olives, organic gala apple, baby carrots.

M3:  organic beef, onion & broccoli, cooked in ghee & coconut oil with garlic salt.

Still missing my daily emails.  :(  Other than that, feeling good & glad I am doing this!

Still missing my daily emails.   :(  Other than that, feeling good & glad I am doing this!

Have you checked your spam box?  I was missing an email here and there and finally checked my spam box - there they were!

Best of luck to you on your journey

Have you checked your spam box?  I was missing an email here and there and finally checked my spam box - there they were!

Best of luck to you on your journey

Thanks.  :)  I have checked spam, and they are not there.  Sent two emails over the weekend -- hopefully someone gets me back on track tomorrow!  I don't understand what happened...?  Even more frustrating since this is not free, you know?

Day 5

M1:  scrambled eggs (2) in bacon grease

M2:  organic beef burger, butternut squash w/ ghee/coconut oil, cinnamon, salt.  11 oz. coffee.

M3:  organic beef w/ broccoli & onion cooked in ghee/coconut oil, organic gala apple, homemade sunflower butter (seeds, MCT oil, salt).

M4:  pork cutlets, zucchini, orange bell pepper, asparagus cooked in ghee/coconut oil, whole avocado.

This was another workout day = lifting heavy + walked 2 miles.  My stomach was even better this morning!  I am going to stick with the small pre-workout meal of scrambled eggs as long as that is working for me, and I will have (4) meals on workout days if I need to.

Great news -- got an email response last night about the Daily emails, and he sent me all the ones I'd missed.  Hopefully things will stay back on track now.  I am off to click the link that "I Did It!"  Another day down.  :)

Day 6

M1:  scrambled eggs (3) with lots of kale & onion cooked in bacon grease.  14 oz. coffee.

M2:  grilled chicken breast, baby carrots w/ homemade sunflower butter, blueberries (~1/2 cup) & raspberries (10)

M3:  chicken breast w/ green bell pepper & onion cooked in coconut oil, tomato slices & whole avocado.

Today I was able to go *noticeably* longer without feeling like I "had" to eat... didn't get hangry.  Like my blood sugar was more stable.  Which was a little surprising considering I was short on sleep for the past two nights, and had a little bit of extra coffee this morning.  I am usually pretty sensitive to caffeine, but I did not get shaky or feel like it affected me negatively today.  I'll take it!   :D

Overall, I just feel really good.  For the past couple of weeks, the weather has been nicer and we've been getting out for walks -- aiming for at least a mile, but ideally at least 2 miles per day.  I will continue to bump this up gradually.  Googled it yesterday and realized that is only about HALF of the recommended 10,000 steps per day I have heard a few places lately.

Day 7

M1:  scrambled eggs (2) cooked in pastured bacon grease

M2:  organic grilled chicken w/ green bell peppers, onion, sweet potato, coconut oil.  12 oz. coffee.

M3:  applegate farms roasted turkey (2 oz.), organic gala apple, homemade sunflower butter, raspberries (5)

M4:  ground bison w/ TJ's chopped veggie mix: broccoli, carrots, green cabbage, red cabbage, jicama, green bell pepper, radish, celery.  organic baby carrots w/ homemade sunflower butter.

Workout day.  Feeling great.  Not much else to report.

You know, actually... there is.  I have made it through an entire week without taking my kids through a drive-through, even though we've had baseball practice & games almost every single night.  I have definitely had more energy and been in a better mood.  Our refrigerators are overflowing with vegetables & fruit again, and I am actually finding the time to DO something with them before they go bad.  The kids and I parked far away and walked to the library tonight to get our books, which is something we've never done before.  Then we went to the grocery store -- JUST to get organic apples, onions, tomatoes, and cans of tuna.  No junk, not even tempted, didn't even consider it.

Day 8

M1:  scrambled eggs (3) with lots of kale & shallots, cooked in ghee, a few sweet potato slices.  12 oz. coffee.

M2:  can of Polar tuna, organic gala apple, baby carrots, homemade sunflower butter.

M3:  grass-fed beef, diced onion, TJ's chopped veggie mix (same as Day 7), garlic salt.

Finally got to catch up on my sleep last night and had a GREAT day today.  Amazing how much more clear-headed I feel this past week, but definitely after a good night's sleep.  My stomach has been great.  My anxiety has been noticeably lower... it comes and goes anyway depending on life's circumstances, my stress levels, and where I'm at in my cycle/what's going on with my hormones -- but I am sure it is affected by food choices, and this week has been an improvement, for sure.  I was not feeling great in that department... that is a large part of why I am here.

Archived