Brewer5: First Whole 30

Brewer5

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 22

M1:  scrambled eggs (4) with kale, onion, ghee, grass-fed bison liver, 11 oz. coffee

M2:  can of Polar tuna, whole avocado, baby carrots w/ sun butter

M3:  grass-fed ground bison, zucchini, bell peppers, onion, TJ's marinara, baby carrots w/ sun butter

I cut the frozen bison liver into pieces small enough for me to swallow whole, and I swallow them like pills.  All the benefits of raw liver, without the taste!  I would only do this with meat from a trusted source, of course.  I just need to remember to get it out of the freezer and eat it more often.  It has apparently been over 3 weeks since I have had any, because this is the first time I have posted about it here.

My kids LOVE liver... I found a recipe for "Paleo" breading & fry it up in coconut oil.  They literally beg me for liver.  Weirdos!  :D  haha  They have heard all about how good it is for us, plus I think they genuinely like the taste of it.

Day 23

M1:  scrambled eggs (2) in ghee

M2:  baked sweet potato, leftover meat/veggies from last night

M3:  can of Polar tuna, apple & carrots w/ sun butter

M4:  grilled chicken breast, asparagus, leek, yellow & orange bell peppers, ghee, baby carrots w/ sun butter

Day 24

M1:  scrambled eggs (4) w/ kale & onion, ghee, coffee

M2:  can of Polar tuna, mashed cauliflower, apple, sun butter

M3:  red & orange bell peppers, onion, canned chicken breast, homemade taco seasoning, ghee, carrots w/ sun butter

Neighborhood cookout tomorrow.  I won't be tempted by anything (I haven't been tempted by anything this whole time, really) -- but will have to eat & do my best not to offend or look like a total weirdo by not eating.  I don't really care what anyone thinks, I just don't want to get into the discussion, honestly.  The hosts are your typical SAD diet, as far as I can tell.  I am taking a tray of fresh fruit.  And I think they are grilling chicken, so I'll be fine.  

The idea of this cookout was stressing me out last night, I guess just because I was tired, it's not something I am super looking forward to, and it was sort of sprung on me.  I really wanted to have a glass of wine.  Not horribly, not close to caving, but it was the first time on this Whole 30 where I really even found myself thinking about wine.  Coincidental that this lines up with "that" time of the month?  I think not.  What's funny is that I was surfing the net last night, just wasn't ready to go to bed yet, and I jumped over to Mark's Daily Apple.  I hadn't been there in quite awhile.  On the front page, he has a post about how he has taken a 45-day break from his 2-glass-per-night WINE habit.  Meant to be?  I think so!  :D

Day 25

M1:  scrambled eggs (4) with kale & onion, ghee, coffee

M2:  baked sweet potato, can of Polar tuna  (PW)

M3:  grilled chicken, peppers, onion, zucchini, mushrooms, raw bell peppers, coffee w/ coconut milk

M4:  grass-fed beef, green beans, bell peppers, onion, carrots, sun butter

Cookout went fine.  No one cared what I ate.  Everyone chowed down on my fresh fruit -- it disappeared fast.  Two desserts came out at the end that were insanely delicious-but-not-good-for-you looking, and no one in my family even wanted to try them.  The kids ran off and started playing.  It was a non-issue.   :)

Day 26

M1:  MCT oil (1 Tbsp), ghee (1 Tbsp), coffee

M2:  leftover beef/veggies from last night, scrambled eggs (3), 1/2 avocado

M3:  ground bison w/ homemade taco seasoning, onions, tomatoes, diced avocado, carrots w/ sun butter

Today I had a project to work on as soon as I got up, and I simply did not feel like eating breakfast.  Could not convince myself to do it. At all.  So I did a bulletproof coffee, which was awesome -- haven't had one in quite awhile.  Got a TON of work done, and didn't feel like I needed to be in the kitchen all day today.  My husband mostly took care of grilling & feeding the kids.  It was quite freeing & I needed that sense of accomplishment...  I like getting things done besides cooking.  :)

Day 27

M2:  baked sweet potato, can of Polar tuna, coffee

M3:  scrambled eggs (3) in ghee, apple w/ sun butter

M4:  grass-fed beef burger, tomato slices, carrots w/ sun butter

I really don't mind eating the same things over and over, but man when I type this out I think I need some more variety.  lol  Honestly I just have not been motivated to try any new recipes lately.  Keeping it simple works for me, and apparently everyone else here, because no one is complaining.

Day 28

M1:  scrambled eggs (4) in ghee, not much coffee w/ ghee & MCT oil

M2:  maybe 1/2 can Polar tuna, apple, sun butter

M3:  grass-fed ground bison, onion, zucchini, green bell peppers, TJ's marinara, carrots, sun butter

Haven't felt the greatest today, and not sure why.  My anxiety is up -- couldn't even drink my coffee this morning.  :(  You know, this is how I was feeling when I decided to start my Whole 30.  Maybe it has less to do with the food I am eating, and more to do with my hormonal cycle or something.  Considering it's been, oh, let's see, about a month now since I have felt this way.

Lunch was not much because we had places to go, I didn't want my stomach upset, and I just wasn't hungry.  I did eat a lot of supper and now I am just tired.  Looking forward to a good night of rest and my workout tomorrow -- LEG day!  :D

Day 29

M2:  baked sweet potato, remainder of can of tuna from yesterday, coffee

M3:  leftover taco meat, some canned chicken, diced tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, apple w/ sunbutter

~coffee again~

M4:  canned chicken, onion, diced tomatoes, homemade taco seasoning, ghee, 1/2 avocado, carrots w/ sunbutter, dry roasted salted almonds (1 oz.)

I did not get enough sleep last night for the workout I had today.   :(  I know better.  Found myself "needing" an extra cup of coffee to get through my afternoon (reading with kids on the couch -- that is SURE to put me to sleep!)  I don't know when was the last time I had an entire cup of coffee that late in the day... but it worked.  Not a habit I want to get started again (BTDT for years)... but oh well.  Tomorrow is a new day!

And tomorrow is Day 30.   :)

Thanks, Karen. I did sleep ok. ;)

Day 30

M1: scrambled eggs (4) w/ kale & onions in ghee, coffee

M2: can of polar tuna, baby carrots, apple w/ sunbutter

Today was sort of a special day. My oldest officially finished his first year in the online k12 program, and they had a celebration/picnic/field day where all the kids could meet up. I packed all of our healthy food for lunch. But then we stayed in the big city to do our grocery shopping, etc. and my husband wanted to go eat at a new mexican restaurant. So we did. Therefore I don't need to post my meal 3 because it was not compliant.

I do have a lot of thoughts about my whole 30 experience, but I will have to post more tomorrow when I am not on my phone in the car. Have to go home & put away all of these healthy groceries now. ;)

I am looking to tighten things up a bit for myself.  I've found myself too often unprepared, stressed out, and hitting too many drive-throughs lately.  

Looking back now, reflecting...

This was my reason for starting the Whole 30.

Tighten things up:  check.  Having to be prepared:  check.  Reducing stress:  check.  Ditching the drive-throughs:  check.

Although it seems at the time that hitting a restaurant/drive-through would help reduce stress, because I don't even really have to think about supper, let alone cook it...  I believe that it actually causes more stress in the form of none of us feeling our best + the guilt I feel about knowing we are eating junk too often + the added expense.  Restaurants with a family of 5 are NOT cheap, even when you try to do it "cheaply".

Sure, there were times during my Whole 30 when I didn't feel like cooking.  Lots of them.  But there are times I don't feel like doing the laundry.  Doing the dishes.  Cleaning my house.  Yet -- I don't pay a maid.  I get up off my ass and get stuff done!  One thing the Whole 30 brought back to me was some much-needed discipline.

I literally did not eat anything from a restaurant for the entire time (until last night, of course).  This means that my family was eating much better by default.  During the past month, they had bunless burgers & fries from Five Guys twice while I did the shopping at Trader Joe's.  They ordered chips & salsa from our favorite restaurant one night, to go with our taco salads.  I am pretty sure those are the only times they weren't eating home-cooked food.  I call that a success.  And I know we saved a ton of money, even though we were eating expensive meats like grass-fed bison & beef quite often.  

What else is great:  We all enjoyed the experience of going out to eat last night.  It was a new place, new food, new atmosphere.  I will admit that yes it was nice to just sit and relax, and let someone else bring me the food.  BUT -- the salsa was too spicy.  The service was so-so.  The bill was regrettable.  We all ate too much and we were feeling it, for sure.  My two youngest had to spend quite a bit of our shopping time in the bathroom.  I had to go to the bathroom and then I still felt like I had "baby bloat" going on.  lol  ...Like I haven't had in at least... oh... 30 days or so?   ;)

What I'm saying is, these things are so noticeable when you feel really GOOD most of the time.  What so many people just consider their "normal" (headaches, stomach issues, runny nose, etc)... could be SO much better, and they don't even realize it.  At all.  I am thankful that our family knows what it feels like to be healthy.

Archived