Stick a fork in me

GlennR

Okay, maybe I don't want to be quite so terse as that. So here's a run-through of my outcomes:

Energy level: Higher on average, more consistent and steady – though when I get tired, I get really tired (no extra sugar to keep me up artificially).

Sleep: About the same number of hours (6-7), but really, really deep. Again, there's no sugar in my bloodstream to make my nights fitful like before.

Eczema: Not gone but much improved – and this despite my having stopped using medical ointment from the second week on. I still have rashes, but from about the second to the third week, I was not conscious of any itching at all. I had a resurgence of the itching when I had some sautéed carrot greens, and again when I tried Swiss chard stems. I think I had an adverse reaction to the strong alkaloids in these veggies (or veggie parts).

Acid reflux: No improvement, but I am encouraged by other people who have written in these forums that theirs improved over time.

Weight gain or loss: Don't know, don't care.

My Bit of a Belly: Still have it. Not really exercising that much (aside from almost daily walks) might have something to do with it…

Happiness Quotient: I've had my low moments and “Kill all the things†moods, but in general… This morning I was dancing in my kitchen as I peeled and chopped veggies, moving in time to Pharrell's “Happy.†So, yeah: weirdly, unexpectedly, surprisingly, I have been happy throughout all this. 

When I read Melissa Joulwan's list of “Thirty Reasons to Whole30,†the item that I was most skeptical about – and yet was secretly hoping would hold true — was no. 5. She wrote, “You'll be happier. No joke. When blood sugar is stable, life is happier. Period.†Turns out she actually knew what she talking about. Wow.

Oh, and a few more things I feel I should note: These forums are fun! You guys are great. Thank you!

Looks like you did a fantastic job with your meals. Congrats! Glad you're happy with your results. Now what?

Thanks! I purposely tried to make my meals as enticing as possible so I would have proof of concept for anyone I know who might have questions or show an interest in Whole30 or Paleo. (E.g., if anyone asks if Paleo is boring or too restrictive, I have pictures to show how varied and delicious it can be.)

Now? My plan is to continue Whole30 + (very occasionally) potatoes, rice (I am Filipino, after all), butter, SWYPO (like sweet potato bars), and sugar (honey for the bars) for my regular meals. I was mostly Paleo to begin with, so I won't really miss legumes, grains, or dairy, and I don't plan to reintroduce them. I've killed (or at least beaten into submission for now) my Coke habit (as in soda, not the powder), so I don't plan to go back there. On any special occasions where there is food too enticing to pass up (such as in a really good restaurant) or some food with personal meaning (such as traditional Christmas food I've had since childhood), I won't bother with compliance and gladly pay the price. I won't stint from the occasional glass of champagne or cocktail, but I was never was much of a drinker anyway, so no problem with abusing. And I'll do Whole30 again every now and then, just as a regular maintenance tune-up.

One other project I've been toying with is doing a Whole30 -- or Whole14 or Whole7 -- with just Paleo Filipino meals. Filipino family members and friends keep saying they can never do Paleo or Whole30 because they can't imagine living without rice. It would be quite a challenge, since we typically eat rice with every meal (and soy sauce for a lot of our dishes).

Have you tried cauliflower rice?  And coconut aminos can be substituted for soy sauce.  Good luck adapting your recipes!  Your friends and family will benefit from your experience!

Oh, yeah. I made several Filipino dishes (Paleofied) during my Whole30 -- some with great success, some not. 

Archived