NatureGirl's May Log

NatureGirl

Starting my second Whole30 today.

Goals:

Nutrition: No eating in front of a computer screen

Sleep: Lights out at 10pm 5x per week

Exercise: Walk at least 3 miles 5x per week

I haven't eaten grains (except lately, white rice) for several years, but lately beer, wine, peanuts, candy and cheese have been featuring almost daily in my diet. I'm excited and ready to clean up my eating again.

With my work schedule, I find that the time between lunch and dinner is too long, and I crave a snack at 3-4pm. So I'm going to try taking a walk, then drinking some tea when the hunger hits. I'll see if that gets me through to dinner.

{Day 1}

Food

(1) Veggie scramble (2 eggs, onions, bell pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach) + 1/4 avocado

(2) Niçoise Salad (spring mix, haricot vert, tomatoes, olives, egg, tuna) no dressing

(3) Leftover Chicken Thighs with Squash, Yams, and Dried Apricots

Beverages

Black coffee

Green tea

Water (still and sparkling)

Activity

Walked 5.4 miles

Thoughts

The 4pm walk-then-cuppa helped with the afternoon hungries. I'll give it a week to see if my body adapts to not snacking in the afternoon.

I was pretty grumpy by bedtime. Fell asleep easily at 11pm, woke up at 5:45am (<7 hours sleep). I want to get to sleep earlier than this on week nights.

Goals Met?

N Yes, S No, E Yes

{Day 2}

Food
(1) Veggie scramble (2 eggs, onions, bell pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach) + 1/4 avocado
(2) Niçoise Salad (spring mix, haricot vert, tomatoes, olives, egg, tuna) no dressing
(3) Leftover Chicken Tetrazzini with Zucchini Noodles
(4) before bed snack: 1 dried apricot, a few sliced almonds, a slice of mango

Beverages
Black coffee
Green tea
Water

Activity
Walked 5.4 miles

Thoughts
So hungry in the late afternoon! Mild headache, too. I think I need to plan a snack for that time, or I get home really grumpy.

Goals Met?
Yes

{Day 3}

Food
(1) Sautéed mushrooms, bellpepper, Brussels sprouts + 2 eggs + 1/2 avocado
(2) Chipotle salad -- lettuce, onions, bell peppers, pork, salsa, guacamole
(3) Roast chicken, Brussels sprouts, carrots, sweet potato

Beverages
Black coffee

Activity
Yard work
Moving furniture

Thoughts
No headache today, and the late (2:30pm) held me over easily till the late (9:30pm) dinner. I'd like to be eating earlier but with the longer days, we're working outside till dark.

Goals
N yes, E No

{Day 4}

Food
(1) Sauteed mushrooms, bell pepper and spinach + 2 eggs
(2) Leftover roast chicken, brussels sprouts, carrots. Handful of blueberries.
(3) Broccoli and rutabaga frittata, cucumber, avocado and tomatoes.

Beverages
Black coffee

Activity
Packing. Lifting heavy boxes.

Thoughts
I slept well but woke up with a headache. I cooked my breakfast in some of the chicken fat produced last night, which tasted great, but left me feeling ... greasy. Maybe I just used too much. Tomorrow I think I'll use olive oil.

Goals Met?
N yes, E no

{Day 5}

Food
(1) Broccoli and rutabaga frittata, cucumber, avocado and tomatoes.
(2) Leftover roast chicken + Salad with spinach, celery, golden beets, scallion, bell pepper. No dressing. 
(3) Cauliflower Lasagne + broccoli

Beverages
Black coffee
Water (still and sparkling)

Activity
Walked 4.5 miles

Thoughts
Woke with a headache again  :( Still not getting 8 hours sleep. I was really glad that I prepared tonight's dinner before going to bed last night. It meant we were eating by 8pm! My lunch was not very filling (not enough protein or fat) but I didn't snack before dinner.

Goals Met?
N yes, S no, E yes 

{Day 6}

Food
(1) Broccoli and rutabaga frittata, avocado
(2) Leftover Cauliflower Lasagne
(3) Spiced Ginger Chicken and stir-fried onion, garlic, sweet potato, carrots, cabbage, bell pepper, scallions

Beverages
Black coffee

Activity
Walked 3.6 miles

Thoughts
No headache this morning!

Goals Met?
N yes, S no, E yes. Eating away from a computer screen is still a bit hard, but I'm doing it. When I eat at my desk, I put the computer to sleep. Lights out by 10 is still proving problematic; I think I'll modify to goal to be 10:30pm. That's more doable.

{Day 7}

Food

(1) Veggie scramble (2 eggs, onions, bell pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach) + 4 slices bacon

(2) Leftover Spiced Ginger Chicken and stir-fried onion, garlic, sweet potato, carrots, cabbage, bell pepper, scallions

(3) Spaghetti Squash Fritters and Sweet Potato and Kale Gratin

Beverages

Black coffee

Water

Activity

Walked 4.81 miles

Thoughts

Goals Met?

N yes E yes S yes

{Day 8}

Food
(1) Broccoli and rutabaga frittata + more broccoli
(2) Leftover Spiced Ginger Chicken and stir-fried onion, garlic, sweet potato, carrots, cabbage, bell pepper, scallions
(3) market Mediterranean "Pizza" (eggplant base)
(4) snacks: Lara bar, handful roasted cashews, small glass orange juice

Beverages
Black coffee
Water

Activity
Walked 4.81 miles

Thoughts
Those after-work snacks felt dangerous. And probably were. Cashews are such a gateway food for me. I knew when I was buying them that I should get raw ones (for a recipe) but the roaster salted ones were actually cheaper. I did NOT need to snack on them though! No real harm done. I didn't fall off the wagon. And my tummy hurt a bit afterwards.

Goals Met?
N yes E yes S yes

Sorry this is my first time looking at your log, Nature girl, but the headaches and your food log imply to me that you have been undernourished this whole time. I think the lara bar and orange juice on day 8 make that pretty clear too. Try eating more of the good stuff (not sugar like orange juice), but more meat and vegetables and good fats and I think you will start feeling better. Don't be shy about starchy veggies either, but protein and fat look lean to me here. When you are hungry (I mean actually hungry, not just in the habit of eating) go ahead and eat another meal or mini-meal including protein and fat. Snacking on fruit or dried fruit is not a good idea, because, while those sugars seem good at the moment, they lead to a crash later in the day.

Thanks for the input, Miss Mary!

{Day 9}

MOVING DAY!

Food
(1) Leftover cauliflower Lasagna
(2) hard boiled eggs, trail mix
(3) Chicken with Cauliflower & Olives + sautéed broccoli, onions, sun dried tomatoes and spinach

Activity
Carried heavy things for hours. Climbed 55 stairs about 50 times.

Thoughts
I really felt I deserved a beer at the end of the day but I didn't have one!

Goals met?
Yes

{Day 10}

Food
(1) 2 hard boiled eggs
(2) leftovers + handful cashews

(3) Zucchini Noodle Pad Thai with Chicken

Beverages

Water

Black coffee

Red wine. Yes! My boyfriend really wanted to celebrate me moving in with him, and he bought a nice bottle of wine to have with dinner. It would have been totally churlish (and unromantic) of me to refuse a glass. No regrets, and no, I'm not going to start from Day One again.

Activity
None! Recovery day!

Goals met?

Yes

{Day 11}

Food
(1) Leftovers

(2) Chicken sausages sautéed with onions, brussels sprouts, zucchini, tomatoes, butternut squash, celery.

Beverages

Water (still & sparkling)

Black coffee

Activity
Hard day's work on the farm, weeding trees, hauling dirt, planting. 

Goals met?

Yes

{Day 12}

Food

(1) Veggie scramble with tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, spinach, mushrooms + bacon

(2) Leftover Chicken sausages sautéed with onions, brussels sprouts, zucchini, tomatoes, butternut squash, celery

(3) Steak, asparagus, salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing

Beverages

Black coffee

Activity

Nothing. I am soooo sore and stiff from Friday and Sunday's activities!

Thoughts

I'm spending tonight with a friend. She suggested I bring wine, but I told her I was off the booze for the month, and she was cool with that. She bought filet mignon and it was delicious! 

{Day 13}

Food

(1) Paleo granola

(2) Roast chicken, spinach, potatoes

(3) Chicken breast and cauliflower

(4) Mushroom, onion, zucchini & spinach frittata + sauteed brussels sprouts & sweet potato

Activity

None. Too sore. Too hot.

Thoughts

I went up to the office vending machine at 4pm, ready to jump off the wagon with some peanuts or SOMETHING. And there on the giveaway table in the cafeteria was some chicken breast and cauliflower. Thank you, universe! 

{Day 10}

Beverages

Water

Black coffee

Red wine. Yes! My boyfriend really wanted to celebrate me moving in with him, and he bought a nice bottle of wine to have with dinner. It would have been totally churlish (and unromantic) of me to refuse a glass. No regrets, and no, I'm not going to start from Day One again.

Just reading this now. Some tough love: choosing to consume wine does call for a restart.  Call it a Whole40 if that works better for your mindset.

Archived