P.F. Chang's - Anything?

I love P.F. Chang's and I'm wondering if the chicken lettuce wraps are okay if you ask them to leave the rice noodles off? Are there any other dishes you can have there? Suggestions would be very helpful!!! I'm on Day 18 and I'm getting frustrated with food! 

• Moderators

Very unlikely. Most Asian restaurant options will contain sugar, soy and more.

More importantly, you can never, ever assume just from looking at a menu.

You need to have "the conversation" with the server about exactly what you cannot have, and ask the server to consult with the Chef and figure out what would be relatively easy for them to omit/alter/sub to make a compliant meal.

For instance, only by talking to a server did I find out the steak entree was fine for me, but the steak salad was not. It was a different cut of steak (not noted on the menu) that was marinated in soy sauce. So don't be afraid to enlist the server's help!

Another lesson - the servers don't always know. After our first whole30 we went to the west coast to a breakfast place. We asked what type of oil they cooked with and the server said we don't use oil, we use butter!

She believed it. We believed it.

Later we realized there was NO CHANCE it was butter. Maybe "I can't believe it's not butter". We weren't on Whole30 officially at the time, so it wasn't a huge deal, but she was really nice and sincere - she just didn't know.

I would start with the gluten-free menu:

https://www.pfchangs.com/menu/

But as ultrarunnergirl said, there will be very few dishes there that don't have soy sauce (at minimum) involved. For example, I'm pretty certain that those lettuce wraps use a lot of soy sauce in the chicken mixture. You might ask about the shaking beef, the beef with broccoli, the pepper steak or the chicken with broccoli, but staying away from soy, sweeteners, or other sneaky additives will be hard.

I have no clue if anything that is already on the menu is Whole 30 approved, but I will tell you that they can not deviate from their menu because everything is already prepackaged.  We were told this by the manager when a friend asked to have something else made due to her allergies.  She couldn't eat anything.  So..... if you go there with the hopes of asking to make you something off the cuff, it is more than likely not going to happen. Sorry.  Just sharing from my personal experience.  

I ate at our local PF Changs last week.  I saw a suggestion here on the board somewhere to ask for fish, so I did.  They have a steamed vegetable side dish on their menu so he ordered that for me with nothing on it and no tofu, then ordered a side of steamed salmon with no sauces or anything.  I did take a very small bite of the lettuce wrap filling and it did taste sweet to me, so I'm guessing that's a no-go...I also had a stomach ache after lunch, my guess is that something had soy in it (I'm gluten intolerant), and it was probably the lettuce wrap filling.

(He called the salmon a side-but it was a very good sized portion)

• 3 weeks later...

I love to eat at PF Chaings! 

I always ask for fish and shrimp, plain, steamed with steamed mixed veggies - no sauce. Only one time did it come with a white garlic sauce (I think a language barrier contributed to this) but when I explained I couldn't eat it, they took it back and brought me what I wanted!

Archived