Waking Up Frequently but Feeling Rested?

Before Whole30, I never had any problems with sleep.  I can fall asleep within five minutes and would only occasionally wake up during the night (and if I did, I would go back to sleep within a minute).

During Whole30, I noticed I started to wake up during the night A LOT--sometimes three or four times a night only an hour apart.  I still can go back to sleep when this happens within a minute though.  The interesting thing is, I NEVER feel like I am not rested.  Before Whole30, I would only feel rested if I got at least 7-8 hours.  Now, even if I get 6 I feel great and spring out of bed. I finished two weeks ago and have transitioned to paleo and it is still happening.

Any idea what might be causing the frequent waking up? Should I just not worry about it since I still feel rested?  Thanks!!

do sweet potatoes really make you tired?  I recently began eating them this week regularly and am on day ten of my whole30.  I have been more tired the past two days than any other day so far.  Last night after dinner I fell asleep on my couch and slept for 12 hours/

Arg I was afraid of that.  I don't like a lot of the starchy veggies actually so I was hoping that wouldn't be a solution.  If I feel rested, is it even something to worry about?  

Thanks for your reply!

do sweet potatoes really make you tired?  I recently began eating them this week regularly and am on day ten of my whole30.  I have been more tired the past two days than any other day so far.  Last night after dinner I fell asleep on my couch and slept for 12 hours/

Sweet potatoes don't make you tired (or they shouldn't) but I've read more than once that low glycogen stores can lead to middle of the night waking and would result from a combination of too much activity + too little carbs. Context does matter though. Usually when people are low energy we say to up starchy vegetables. Your particular context matters. You may want to post your own troubleshooting thread and give us an idea of what you have been eating the past few days.

Arg I was afraid of that.  I don't like a lot of the starchy veggies actually so I was hoping that wouldn't be a solution.  If I feel rested, is it even something to worry about?  

Thanks for your reply!

Possibly not something to worry about. Do you know what is actually waking you up? Any environmental changes? More water than normal? Is your energy level good through the entire day? Did this happen through your entire W30 or just a recent change? 

Sweet potatoes don't make you tired (or they shouldn't) but I've read more than once that low glycogen stores can lead to middle of the night waking and would result from a combination of too much activity + too little carbs. Context does matter though. Usually when people are low energy we say to up starchy vegetables. Your particular context matters. You may want to post your own troubleshooting thread and give us an idea of what you have been eating the past few days.

Possibly not something to worry about. Do you know what is actually waking you up? Any environmental changes? More water than normal? Is your energy level good through the entire day? Did this happen through your entire W30 or just a recent change? 

Sometimes it is noises from other units (I live in a condo building) but usually it's nothing.  I have lived here a while but it is possible that I have a new noisier neighbor.  When it happens I just wake up, look at the time, and then go back to sleep.  

I have been drinking more water than I was before Whole30.  Could that be why? I never feel like i have to pee when I wake up though.

My energy level is great throughout the day--never better actually.  I wake up around 5:45, go to work for 9 hours, go to yoga for an hour, and then go to bed between 10 and 11 and feel great the whole day.

It started on maybe day 6 and never stopped.

Archived