Starting Today -- August 5th

Jenica Jones

There's nothing to be scared of. I mean, think about it. You're not giving up anything that you can't get back in 30 days if you really, really want it. You're doing this for yourself, not for anyone else, no one's watching or judging you, and you can repeat it as many times as you need to to get it right.

30 days flies by. I'm on day 19 of my second Whole30 already, and I've barely noticed. I'm really enjoying getting all my food at the farmers' market, cooking, getting so much sleep that I wake up before the alarm, and spending my breaks at work walking outdoors in the paleo sunshine instead of drinking coffee.

Aaww, Jenica, don't be scared -- this can actually be FUN! I mean it! It's like a game almost - getting creative and strategizing so things move along as smoothly as possible, and finding your inner strength to get through those moments when it's not going so smoothly. One of my favorite quotes from ISWF is "Quitting heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard." It's all about perspective, and this 30 days out of your life is SO DO-ABLE, and sooooo worth it.

My tips and suggestions. Be sure to have a ready-to-eat protein, fat and veggie available always. Because when you are having a weak or exhausted moment, the last thing you want to do is figure out how to make that raw chicken breast into lunch or dinner. Post your food log here - there's a place for this lower in the forum "Your Whole 30 Log". If you are like so many of us here, you will have a hard time staying off the scale. Just get rid of it - put it somewhere super inconvenient. Don't be afraid of fat. Allow yourself to spend a little more on quality foods, you can now afford this because you are not spending anything on dairy, junk foods, eating out, or alcohol. Make ghee/clarified butter and mayonnaise -- I truly did not expect I would ever be the sort of person to make these sorts of things, but they are surprisingly easy to make and delicious. (Mayo is good to have for salad dressings, veggie dip, tuna salad, topping for salmon... )

Good luck on your journey!

Archived