Not overweight but still losing at a rapid rate

When I started my Whole30, I was 148 lbs at 5'6â€.  I lost 10 lbs by following the meal plan closely and exercising about 3-4 times a week (usually bikrim yoga or running).

I finished almost a week ago and I have transitioned to paleo with a few added things (dark chocolate, paleo cookies, etc.) but I am still dropping weight.  I have consistently lost 0.5 lbs a day since I finished putting me at 135. 

My question is this:  is this normal?  How long can I expect this to last?  I was never overweight to begin with so this seems extreme to me but will this weight loss keep going until….?  I can't say that I don't like it because I probably could afford to lose a bit more but is this healthy to be losing at this rate when I am not obese?

I do not think not eating enough is the problem.  I eat 4 eggs, half an avocado, and broccoli and tomatoes every morning for breakfast and my other meals are similar in size and can go from 6 AM to noon without eating and don't feel hungry until around 11:30-11:45.

Thanks for any insight!!!

It kind of depends. Did you do a reintroduction period or did you just add in the few things? If you had an extreme sensitivity to something you cut out the loss you are seeing could be due to inflammation leaving the body and healing. Doing a full on reintroduction of some of those foods could pinpoint that if it is the case. It should even out eventually too if that is the case.

Is there a change in body composition happening as well? Did you do body measurements? How do your clothes fit? On the days you are exercising are you have more food to compensate?

Other things you could try is increasing your protein and fat servings until you find a place where you stop losing weight.

Ultimately I would suggest just ditching the scale. There are so many factors that effect that number that it is not always a great indicator of overall health. Pay attention to your clothing and overall energy level and continue eating well and you should be fine. 

• Moderators

You can't track weight reliably on a daily basis. Many people go up and down 1-2 pounds throughout the course of a day and for a woman it is normal to weigh a few pounds different across the course of a month. That said, you are obviously losing weight and you are concerned. 

I lost 2 pounds every month for 15 months in a row when I started Whole30-style eating. I stopped losing weight when I got to 184 pounds without changing my eating or exercise habits. My body reached its set point and that was it. I had imagined along the way that 185 was where I needed to be. I had been at 165 when running marathons seriously, but I was too skinny then. 

If you are eating at least the meal template minimum and are not sick, I bet you will stop losing weight when your body reaches its set point. 

It kind of depends. Did you do a reintroduction period or did you just add in the few things? If you had an extreme sensitivity to something you cut out the loss you are seeing could be due to inflammation leaving the body and healing. Doing a full on reintroduction of some of those foods could pinpoint that if it is the case. It should even out eventually too if that is the case.

Is there a change in body composition happening as well? Did you do body measurements? How do your clothes fit? On the days you are exercising are you have more food to compensate?

Other things you could try is increasing your protein and fat servings until you find a place where you stop losing weight.

Ultimately I would suggest just ditching the scale. There are so many factors that effect that number that it is not always a great indicator of overall health. Pay attention to your clothing and overall energy level and continue eating well and you should be fine. 

I just added all the things.  I had out of town guests and I literally went crazy with desserts, breads, ice cream, everything under the sun and shockingly the only noticeable symptom was feeling like I overate after a particularly large meal (which I never felt on Whole30).  After the guests left, I went back to Whole30 eating and all I added in was dark chocolate and a paleo cookie here and there.

I did realize I had a sensitivity to almonds around day 10 (developed a rash on my face).  I used to eat them daily (about 20-30 almonds) prior to Whole30 so I cut them out completely starting on day 10 and do not plan to go back.

My clothes are definitely fitting differently.  I unfortunately did not take measurements before/after but I have gone down almost two pant sizes since I started.  

I do not tend to eat too much more on exercise days.  I eat a pre-workout of usually a HB egg and some cashews and then usually dinner is coupled as my post-WO meal since I get done with the gym around 7 PM.

I think you're right.  I guess I shouldn't let it bother me as long as I feel energized and full (which I do). 

You can't track weight reliably on a daily basis. Many people go up and down 1-2 pounds throughout the course of a day and for a woman it is normal to weigh a few pounds different across the course of a month. That said, you are obviously losing weight and you are concerned. 

I lost 2 pounds every month for 15 months in a row when I started Whole30-style eating. I stopped losing weight when I got to 184 pounds without changing my eating or exercise habits. My body reached its set point and that was it. I had imagined along the way that 185 was where I needed to be. I had been at 165 when running marathons seriously, but I was too skinny then. 

If you are eating at least the meal template minimum and are not sick, I bet you will stop losing weight when your body reaches its set point. 

Thanks for sharing your story, Tom.  I suppose it has only been a week since I stopped so perhaps you're right and I will just level off at my body's set point.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to check back in because I used the boards a lot to compare experiences to my own so I thought it might be helpful for a check-in.

Well, everyone was right and my body did kind of level off.  I continued to lose about half a pound a day until I hit 133.5 and then I basically stayed there (or bounced from 133.5-135) for the past three weeks.  Even on days when I eat two donuts (yes it happens occasionally) I bounce right back to my "happy weight."  I am pretty dense for a female so this weight is great for me with visible abs even! Woo!  Thanks for the reassurance guys :)

I live in Canada and a microwaved Tim Horton's donut = heaven.  I do not have any adverse reactions and I get a large sense of enjoyment out of eating them.

ETA:  I do not seek them out by going to buy them.  Usually they are a treat brought into the office and that's when I go for it!  So this is an added food in addition to my normal breakfast.

Archived