IN place of sugar in a recipe?

rikkijw

I have a recipe that I really enjoy for a stir fry sauce, I would like to be able to use it. It calls for 1/2 a cup of sugar. what can I use as a replacement for the sugar and is everything else acceptable for whole30? I am on my second day of whole30 and I want to do it right. Thanks!

1/2 c. sugar

2 tbsp. chili sauce

1 tbsp. minced garlic

1/2 c. rice vinegar

1/8 c. white vinegar

1 tbsp. crushed red chili pepper

2 tbsp. onion powder

1 tbsp. garlic powder[3]

Genghis Grill Dragon Sauce Recipe

Pour 1/2 cup rice vinegar, 1/8 cup white vinegar and 2 tablespoons of chili sauce into a large mixing bowl. Select the amount of chili sauce based on how hot you want the final sauce to be.

Stir the vinegars and chili sauce to blend them well.

Add 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, 1 tablespoon crushed red chili peppers, 2 tablespoons onion powder, and 1 tablespoon garlic powder to the bowl.

Whisk all the ingredients for 5 minutes, or until the sugar dissolves into the vinegar.

Allow the sauce to marinate by allowing it to sit for at least 30 minutes before using it in your recipe.

Half a cup of sugar sounds like a lot!

For this, I might try mixing it up without any sweetener at all and see how you like it. You might also look in the recipes section here or google Paleo stir-fry sauce recipes to try a similar one someone's already come up with - there are a lot out there. Here's one that might work well - I haven't tried it, but Mel Joulwan is awesome in general so I'd have high hopes! (Leave out the honey, as she notes.)

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/10/29/best-stir-fry-sauce-ever%E2%84%A2-for-real/

If you really really want to sweeten it, you might try a little orange, apple or pineapple juice. As far as the other ingredients, everything looks OK as long as your chilli sauce doesn't have any added sweeteners, soy or other additives.

I've got some stir fry sauces that call for sugar and I have tweaked them, but they don't ever come out as good without the sugar.  

I make Mel's best stir fry sauce regularly.  Even when I'm not doing a Whole30.  I love it!

I have a recipe that I really enjoy for a stir fry sauce, I would like to be able to use it. It calls for 1/2 a cup of sugar. what can I use as a replacement for the sugar and is everything else acceptable for whole30? I am on my second day of whole30 and I want to do it right. Thanks!

1/2 c. sugar

2 tbsp. chili sauce

1 tbsp. minced garlic

1/2 c. rice vinegar

1/8 c. white vinegar

1 tbsp. crushed red chili pepper

2 tbsp. onion powder

1 tbsp. garlic powder[3]

Genghis Grill Dragon Sauce Recipe

Pour 1/2 cup rice vinegar, 1/8 cup white vinegar and 2 tablespoons of chili sauce into a large mixing bowl. Select the amount of chili sauce based on how hot you want the final sauce to be.

Stir the vinegars and chili sauce to blend them well.

Add 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, 1 tablespoon crushed red chili peppers, 2 tablespoons onion powder, and 1 tablespoon garlic powder to the bowl.

Whisk all the ingredients for 5 minutes, or until the sugar dissolves into the vinegar.

Allow the sauce to marinate by allowing it to sit for at least 30 minutes before using it in your recipe.

coconut milk!  It will change the recipe a ton, but I love coconut milk (from the can).  You could also use coconut cream instead.

Dates turned to mush in the mixer? I would definately reduce the amount of sugar from whatever ingredient you choose to use though - that sauce sounds like it would feed the sugar dragons big time!

• 5 months later...

Sorry I was thinking when your off whole30. Apologies

No worries. To keep the information as clear as possible on the Whole30 subforums, we limit discussion on off-plan foods after your Whole30 to only the following areas:

The Life After Your Whole30 subforums: http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/20-life-after-your-whole30/

Your Post Whole30 Log: http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/35-your-post-whole30-log/

I would use OJ.  I've done that in a BBQ recipe and it turned out great.  The added orange flavor was a nice touch.

Another idea would be to use a compliant apple sauce (if it's not too thick for the overall consistency).

• 2 weeks later...

Dates turned to mush in the mixer? I would definately reduce the amount of sugar from whatever ingredient you choose to use though - that sauce sounds like it would feed the sugar dragons big time!

I'm not asking to call you out, I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious - I thought date paste was not allowed on a Whole30, particularly if you're swapping it for sugar... Did I misunderstand?

I'm not asking to call you out, I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious - I thought date paste was not allowed on a Whole30, particularly if you're swapping it for sugar... Did I misunderstand?

Context is what's important here.

As an ingredient in a stir fry sauce, date paste would be ok.  In coffee for your sweetener - that's SWYPO and would be a no. Details on both options in the Whole30 Can I Have Guide: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Archived