Day 2- convincing friends I will still be a fun person

AmieS

Hello,

I am on my second day and I am not anticipating on too much trouble following the program.  I generally eat really healthy 2 out of 3 of my meals.  I just need to resist the urge to eat bad at nightime and resist cheese, bread, and wine.  I have a feeling my friends are going to have a harder time with me on Whole30 than I do!  I am a single woman in her twenties who generally hangs out with other single friends.  Translation, we go out to eat and for drinks often.  Living in a small town there is not much else for entertainment plus we have some amazing wineries in farm country!  I told all my friends a few days ago that I am beginning this program and explained it to them.  I did not want them to give me any grief about what I was eating (or not eating!) and that I would not be partaking in any adult beverages.  Their response was, "So I am not going to be able to hang out with you for a month."  I am now in the process of convicing them that I still can and want to be social.  Not only do they now have a desginated driver for a while but I can still have a good time without consuming unhealthy foods and alcohol. 

I do not know if my friends think they will feel guilty drinking in front of me or if they are afraid of tempting me. I am hoping that once they see the changes in me mentally and physically, and how commited I am to the lifestyle change they will realize I can still go out with them.  By the end of the 30 days I hope I am able to show them that living a healthy life style does not mean your social life has to stop.  It will be an adjustment for me and my friends but I want to prove to them I am still the same person even if I do not join them in eating greasy food and over indulge in wine.  But for now, I am still trying to assure them I am perfectly able to join them on an out of town trip to see a local band this weekend!

This is on YOU! This is testing yourself and relying on your determination and will power to do the right thing. Your friends and family have not signed up for the Whole 30 and should continue what they are doing. Its no diferent than trying to quit smoking, (I quit 12 years ago) you cant expect everyone else to quit with you. I have continued eating well after I finished my first Whole 30 on 31 April. I lost 17 pounds, 5% body fat, two shirt sizes and 2 pant sizes. My allergies went away along with my acid reflux. I sleep soundly and have tons of energy. I am not trying to brag, just motivating you to stay on course. I too, love to drink with friends, but you have to be able to seperate yourself from their eating and drinking habits. The rewards can be very satisfying! Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Dave

Archived