Sign in to follow this  
WholeBunchOJunk

How long can you leave vegetable soup in the fridge?

Sorry, cooking novice here, lol.  I made some chicken veggie soup last weekend, then divided it up and froze in individual containers for lunches for the week.  That worked well, but I'd like to switch things up this week and have the veggie soup for breakfast.  Freezing it would still work I guess, but I'm wondering how long it would keep in the refrigerator if I used chicken, chicken stock, veggies like carrots, celery, cabbage, etc.?  I guess I've always been taught that chicken doesn't keep more than a couple of days.

I routinely cook up on the weekends and leave meats of all kinds in the fridge the whole week. So personally, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

I use bone broth as my liquid for my veg soup, so I go by that - basically I'm ok with it for about 4 days in the fridge, if I have more servings than that I freeze them. 

I agree.  4 days is my maximum.  

I try to freeze extra soup within 4 days but I wouldn't be scared to eat it even after a week, as long as the smell isn't off. (Also, give it a minute after opening the lid, even if it is fresh sometimes the first whiff isn't a good indicator).

LOL!  Especially with cabbage in it, lol.  I think I've compromised with freezing half of a huge batch in individual serving containers, and keeping half of it in the refrigerator to eat as I need to.  That seems to be working fairly well...I'll also feel better about eating it.  :D