My family (mom, dad, aunt and I) started Whole30 on July 27. So, we're a little over a week in and my dad's blood sugar is still pretty high. This morning he says it's the highest it's been in a while (137). We're all eating the same stuff and "the ladies" are seeing some early results — looser fitting clothes, not getting hungry as often, feeling satisfied with food for longer periods of time, less sugar cravings, etc.

As a Filipino family, our main food staple growing up was rice. And when my dad got diagnosed with diabetes maybe 8-10 years ago? He stopped eating as much rice and sweets and was able to keep his blood sugar low. Now that we're not eating any rice, for some reason, his blood sugar isn't going down and I can't figure out what it is.

Is it the food we're eating? Some weird side effect from his medication? — Because aside from taking meds for his diabetes, he's also taking pills for high blood pressure and high cholesterol (plus some vitamins). Or do we just need more time for his body to adjust? Why would his blood sugar be going up?

Please help! I don't want him to fall off this "Whole30 wagon".

What is he eating? Does it include any higher carb starchy vegetables and fruits? Quantities? Has he tested after different meals? What did the ones before high readings include? Is he cheating?

Run the meds issue past his doctor. With those meds and major change of eating pattern, he should be in contact with his doctor anyway for necessary adjustments.

Archived