May 5th start

Kage

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

right, but I can't measure my waist.  I can say, hey my pants are looser, but I can't say I've lost this many inches.  THAT seems arbitrary.

It's not. missmary and Bethany (physibeth) have given you lots of information as to why not using the scale and not taking body measurements are fundamental rules of the program.  Whole30 is about removing the focus on body weight and inches - for only 30 days - and instead focusing on how you feel when you change your relationship with food.  

Are you willing to relinquish the scale for the remainder of your Whole30, and try on this new perspective?  

As I read through all the conversations on my way to work, I am both saddened and intrigued by the scale.

I almost got on the scale today (I think I will put it in the garage). I didn't because I already promised myself one year of no scale. I want to learn to be one with my body. I want to learn to know when my body is feeling stronger, lighter and pain free.

I know how hard this is, but I have a feeling that I will absolutely reaped benefits beyond my wildest dreams. I already feel so much more "naturally in control" that I don't think I will need the scale, if I just focus on how I feel on the treadmill, in my clothes (or out), running on the tennis court or sitting in a meeting.

People give me a little grief about being too strict or it being "another diet", but I just have to honor myself, the best weigh...I know how.

hugs

MINI

As I read through all the conversations on my way to work, I am both saddened and intrigued by the scale.

I almost got on the scale today (I think I will put it in the garage). I didn't because I already promised myself one year of no scale. I want to learn to be one with my body. I want to learn to know when my body is feeling stronger, lighter and pain free.

I know how hard this is, but I have a feeling that I will absolutely reaped benefits beyond my wildest dreams. I already feel so much more "naturally in control" that I don't think I will need the scale, if I just focus on how I feel on the treadmill, in my clothes (or out), running on the tennis court or sitting in a meeting.

People give me a little grief about being too strict or it being "another diet", but I just have to honor myself, the best weigh...I know how.

hugs

MINI

I love your pun at the end  :-)

@moicav...just let it go!

Their program, their rules. All the moderator said earlier is stop posting about breaking the rules. You seem to be overly concerned with the scale's numbers, and that is why they say no scales on the program. I have a scale dependency too and several others have mentioned it as well, but we are all doing our best to do the program as written. Honestly, not stepping on the scale which I have been every day for several years is hard! I am learning to gauge my health in other ways. I know that I just had to go to the store and buy a smaller size in my jeans because they just didn't fit right anymore and I think that is the best way to know what I am doing is right.

I need a knee replacement and one of the reasons they won't do it right now (other than be being 30 years too young) is because I'm overweight and in my head that has always meant a #. I am starting to see now that they aren't looking at a number on the scale, they are looking at my health as a whole. That really clicked for me when I read a blog post that someone mentioned on this forum earlier...

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS MONICAV!! :D

AuburngalNC

I did say I was letting it go.  I said I wouldn't weigh myself.  But I dont' feel overly dependant on it.  It feels validating.  This diet, or whatever you want to call it has made my skin dry and rough, made me tired and cranky and I can't enjoy outings with my friends.  But the scale shows me that it's at least doing something.

But that's fine, I'll weigh myself in 2 weeks.  it's fine, I don't care.  

But I just find it arbitrary, like pancakes are SWYPO but a burger isn't?  SWYPO also seems arbitrary.

Try posting a few days worth of your meals on the trouble shooting your whole30 forum!! I was tired and irritable and also feeling light headed and I figured out that I wasn't eating enough fat for lunch and dinner. I had to play with portions too (like figuring out I needed 3 eggs for breakfast not two) and just now feel that I've got it right and I am feeling great. I have faith that once you get everything balanced they way your body needs it, you will feel so great that you won't need scale validation anymore! :-)

Been off the grid for a while. Just wanted to say keep up the good work everyone! I have been staying the course through some tough challenges. Fiancé said something that made me laugh today. He is not doing the program, but had been making changes in his own way. After lunch today (dinner for me) be said he can get use to this steak for lunch idea. Then not even a minute later he said oh darn we are out of eggs. A little whole 30 humor.

I really, honestly, do not get the scale thing. Just one more thing I enjoy that the diet is taking away. Fine, I'll stop weighing myself and wait for the "magic" to begin.

I just want to give you a hug, you sound mad as h***. Hang in there :)

So interested to see the discussion on the tyranny of the scale.

I am happy to say that although I have many vices, scale addiction isn't one of them. 

Weighing myself brings me down, not up and I support everything said by the moderators with regard  to - your overall good health cannot and will not be reflected by the scale. 

I think if you do like to weigh, doing it once a month will yield far larger and more exciting results anyway.

I do not own a scale. But hey, no judgments from me. I am a sugar addict and an emotional eater. 

I have been gluten and dairy free for 4 years and managed to make plenty of the most beautiful desserts, pizzas and baked goods within those restrictions that allowed me to REMAIN a sugar addict and emotional eater even as people thought I must be SO healthy because I didn't eat gluten and dairy. So I have to say I do also respect the SWYPO ethos. 

That said, I was recently on a course of Prednisone and now look 6 months pregnant. I would like to lose weight and was hoping that would be a happy side effect of the Whole30.  I am wondering, moderators, lets say our goal IS weight loss. After Whole30, what are the recommendations? I don't feel like my clothes are looser but I'm also aware that with steroid weight it can take a very long time to shift it. 

I feel like I have hit a mid Whole30 slump. I am more tired than usual (although have also been way more active) and not quite riding the high as much as I was. However I have eaten two meals out ( a long lost friend in from out of town and a boss's birthday, both hard to dodge) and while thanks to Los Angeles both seemed very healthy and compliant, (rib eye with broccolini and kale salad with chicken) perhaps something snuck in there that wasn't.  I am at yoga every day and acupuncture twice a week. At acupuncture they take your blood pressure and I have noticed it has been consistently lower which is interesting.  

I'd also like to note that I feel like my - karmic energy? (for want of a better word) is somehow shifting. I have had more invitations to be social, three job offers (I'm a freelancer), and at the last minute I got to go to a taping of my all time favorite tv show, Dancing with the Stars, on Monday. What an incredible joy! I am so grateful for all of this positive activity in my life and can't help but think its somehow related to making other positive changes. 

Anyways, that's my story today. Much credit to everyone else working so hard here. It feels like its already been 30 days ;-) 

Just want to say thank you to everyone for your positive thoughts, ideas and support. Dave you mayka me laugh, again!! I agree you should be a motivational speaker. AuburngalNC thanx for the tip on stepping when you watch the TV great way to get those steps in!! I hope your dad is doing better. :)  Mini~ sounds like your on the right track, honor thyself!!

I had an okay day but didn't pack enough food. :o today is my town day and I have a 2 hour commute one way. I got an early start and didn't count up those hours to lunch which I had at 12:00 and by 4:00 I was supposed to be having dinner but was still 2 hours away. I did have jicama and cucumbers and one pickle left but no protein or fat. I hope this doesn't get me out of wack, I have been so good about not snacking between meals.  :unsure:

Tomorrow is another chance~to get it right!!

Good Morning to Everyone!

Monica, sorry to hear about your struggles. I hope all gets better for you.

I am just like Deb, I hardly weigh myself at all. Lucky if it is twice a year. So the not weighing yourself is no big deal for me but if it was something that I did all the time (like having a few chocolate covered almonds) it would be hard to give up especially if that is what is giving you encouragment.

Throughout this process, it is the added energy, the more contempt feeling (dare I say happy) that I am feeling that keeps me going and also coming on here to hear everyones journey and to take solace in that when things are not going so well.

I had something really rotten happen at work happen and instead of digging my heals in I have just let it go and said it says more about those people than it does about me.

So everyone lets have a great day..... the sun was up when I got up and it is going to be a beautiful day in my neck of the woods.....

10-90.... 10% of what happens to you 90% is how you respond!

TTYL,

Donna

Good Morning!!! Slept great last night despite an increased amount of joint pain (not sure why). My dad was released from the hospital last night. He had a really really bad infection in his mouth and they think they have it under control. I feel like I have handled my stress a lot better this week, perhaps because of regulated blood sugar.

Made another batch of nomnompaleo's cherry bbq sauce last night. My son and I love this sauce!! We have had it on steak and chicken and my son asked if I could put it on ribs this weekend. It is simple to make and sooo very tasty!

My team at work is having a meeting today and they wanted to have a breakfast potluck. I elected to not go to the office and will be calling in from home so I will not be tempted. I do have to go to the office next week for two days for round 2 of the interview process for a fabulous new job. Luckily we have big refrigerators and microwaves at work so I can bring everything I need to eat right.

I hope everyone has a fabulous day!!

Hello everyone! If I may "weigh" in on the scale discussion......I think I never realized how attached I was to my scale until I began this program. I'm a member that has NOT completed a Whole 30 program because I was NOT 100% compliant on my first go around. With that being said, I did learn a lot. I try to be helpful and motivate others with what I have learned and explain what to expect as you transition thru. I believe it's true that men can lose weight quicker than women which brings me back to the scale addiction. As a guy who loves monitoring the scale (I actually wear them as shoes sometimes), I now understand how counter-productive the scale is mentally. Because my weight can fluctuate quickly by a pound or two, a very energetic/physical day can be a huge dissapointment if the scale reads that I actually gained weight when my mind/body is telling me that THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE! From there, it is very easy to spiral into a "screw it" mentality that also includes large doses of ice cream or ways to get Oreos intravenously.  

Putting the scale away was difficult because I also put my exercise regimen away too. I wanted to see what ONLY proper eating could do for me and was petrified that every day that I wasn't making my salads out of Cheetos and Fruity pebbles that my weight was sslllloooowllllyyy creeping its "weigh" back up. Then.....something happened! People started making comments. "Dave, have you lost weight?" "Dave....you are looking thinner!" Then they became more frequent! Then the comments were more specific such as, "Dave.....your pants fell off in the parking lot!"

My clothes WERE fitting better and I was breathing easier, and I didn't feel bloated or sluggish. It took a few weeks, but I slowly began to SEE it not just feel it. When I finally got to my 30th day and got the scale out, I told myself that I would be happy with a loss of 4-5 pounds. I couldn't believe the scale showed I had lost 17 pounds! I stepped on it again....and again.....and again! I PICKED UP THE LAUNDRY BASKET AND STEPPED ON IT TO MAKE SURE THE DAMN THING WAS WORKING! It was like the greatest reward for NOT looking at that damn scale! DUMP THE SCALE! 

Dave 

Donna- good for you re: the work situation, what a great attitude! I am having a hard time with my neighbors this morning and I'm really trying to breathe deeply, forgive them and move on.

Auburngal- I'm glad to hear your dad is out of the hospital and I hope he recovers quickly!

I've had a real problem with snacking lately...not out of boredom but mostly because I threw together lunch too quickly and didn't make it big enough/I fed my baby and didn't have time to eat my food/didn't have enough of the right groceries... I've been relying far too heavily on nuts, fruits and even Larabars to help me get through the day, so I really want to focus on eating enough at meals and reducing snacking in the next 2 weeks.  

I don't know if my skin is actually clearer or I have more confidence but the past few weeks I've been leaving the house in little to no makeup so I'm counting that as a non-scale victory! 

Good Morning 5/5s,

I've caught up on all the good information from our group and will refrain from specific feedback today as I have a "busy day ahead".

Yesterday was my 54th birthday and my entire group of friends and coworkers were EXTREMELY respectful. No Cakes, Cookies or homemade spinach dips. We all brought our own lunches and ate together and it was a pleasure. I received flowers and candles...but nothing edible!

It was really strengthening to realize that I had an amazing day without food or drinks that do not support my goals!.

I share the sentiments of some that clothes don't feel looser and I don't feel as though I'm losing any inches, but I feel so much better, I'm sticking with it. I too have not been perfectly compliant, but I think I've learned enough to be perfectly compliant on my whole 30 starting on June 9th. I need to focus on learning some fun recipes with out peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms or eggs. I know it will be fine, but I'm freaking out a bit.

RULES - I grew up in a horribly rule based family. As an adult I have the "no rules", just be respectful, loving and honorable credo by which I live (for bible based friends...do unto others, love your neighbor as yourself). I find then when I am given rules, I like to bend them. I experienced that when  I started the whole 30 and I was quickly helped to see the importance of following all the rules to reinvent mind, body and spirit with respect to food. Food is such a powerful force, or more accurately the way we "feel" about food.

Anyways, today is Disneyland. I've found some restaurants (thanks Deb) that will help me be compliant...and the kids are looking forward to both. I'm going to remember that today is about spending a day with my wonderful sons, not about churros and ice creams, and I know I will end the day with a smile on my face and rubber legs...LET'S RIDE!

hugs

Geminimik

OK....TIMEOUT! This group that is currently working together has been doing a very good job of supporting one another as we all try and better ourselves. Some of us get up every morning with a smile on our face and have an easy time with this new way of eating while others struggle and find difficulty with coping with mood swings, hunger pangs, and cravings. I, myself, have been corrected that I have not completed a Whole 30 yet since I had deviated from the program (as others have) and I am fine with that. I am hoping to launch a "clean and pure" Whole 30 in June and I plan on succeeding. My involvement at this point is to learn as much as I can to better prepare myself for the upcoming program and to support everyone along the way. It is my opinion that some of the moderators have come on here very strongly and, quite frankly, .....this horse has been beaten to death. The final moderator's comments, in my opinion, are something that should have been handled in a private message and not publicly displayed. I see no positive results that could possibly come from openly displaying this conversation. It will be a shame if the communication between the moderators and this individual continues to be openly displayed since I feel it will make it very difficult for others to enjoy and support each other. I think this group will be more than happy to support and work with anyone (especially those that are learning the program and/or struggling) with any new and undesirable side effects (grouchy, hungry, etc.). I recieved a "gentle" nudge from a moderator when it was needed so that I better understood the complete workings of the program and that was that. At this point, it appears that 3 or 4 seperate moderators have commented (openly) to this person and in my opinion, could have been handled much better privately. My .02! 

Dave

Dave-thank you for your last post.

I have been having a tough time this week but I was afraid to share it because I felt like this thread has turned into a shaming thread. (mostly from the moderators.)

To all the 5/5's keep working at it because you are all amazing.  I haven't been posting but I have been reading. 

I am going to share my set back now in hopes to find guidance and to help others as well:

To be clear my reasons for doing the WHOLE30: my body is out of wack. My immune system is a mess (actual diagnosis/words from a doctor) and I suffer from fibro and environmental allergies.

My goal: to get my hormones and pain on track plus loose some stress weight that I gained from moving to a new state.

The Good:

The first week and a half: I felt AMMMMMAAAAZZZING. my skin was glowing. I lost the intertub of weight around my waist. It was the weirdest feeling. I felt light. My mood was HAPPY. Freaking Happy.

I compliant with food this entire time yet I did struggle with afternoon snacking. I have since increased my lunch meal portion to help with that but i lost my mid-morning snack and my evening snack (which I thought I would never give up)

The Bad:

I have been feeling horrible this whole week. Tired, grumpy and I feel like the intertube was back around my waist. I went to the doctors- where they weighed me and told me the weight! what mind-f*%K. It it messing with me

Anyways i am having immune issues and am all out wack. I have three new issues to deal with and my doctor wants to me take something that is not complaint with Whole30.  I will go on the troubleshooting forum to figure what to do.

The Ugly

I feel defeated even though I haven't done anything yet. I feel a lack of strength to continue bc I am still getting sick.

My parents are visiting and they have brought doughnuts, cookies and chips into the house. I have had to go to so many end of the school year events with non-compliant food YET i haven't eaten any of it but I feel my strength slipping away. 

I didn't mean to have a pity party but this processes has turned tough for me.  I will try to have patience because I want the benefits.

Please know that I am sending you all happy strong thoughts on your journey through this transformation.  Happy Birthday Miki. 

All the best.

Renee

Archived