May 5th start

Kage

I have an issue that I would like input on. Please understand I will have to do what I believe I can honestly do, as I do not want to have another unsuccessful W30. I do have diagnosed autoimmune issues, my curiosity is if I should do a regular whole 30, break and follow it with an autoimmune whole 30 to see if there is a difference? Or, do I need to do just do the AW30 right off from the start. A world without hotsauce and eggs sounds so sad...but a world with pain and feel 100 and age 54 is worse, I suppose (ppp - aka, personal pity party).

Our general recommendation is that everyone start off with a regular Whole30 as it is hard and restrictive enough. If there are things you know are setting up an AI response for you you might want to cut those as well. Once you have successfully finished a Whole30 if you still feel you are having AI response issues and you want to do further investigation we would then say to try and AI Whole30. Note that many people report needing 90 days on the AI protocol to really find the change. There are lots of folks on here who have done and logged about it so I would encourage you to browse through some of the Whole30 log threads and read about others experiences.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Physibeth,

Thank you for your input. That is the answer I wanted, so that is good! Even on my imperfect (who new my organic broth for stinky soup has noney, Sunflower oil?) whole 30 I have seen lots of improvements. I can't wait to see what a "faithful" whole 30 will do.

I think for me to do a faithful one, I will not be able to eat out. I know that will make me pout and my friends will have a complete tizzy...but I feel achy everytime I eat out, no matter how many requests and questions.

I can have barbecues at the house, and we can go kayaking, etc...just not restaurants.

Thank you for your input. I will try to find some of the stories you tell about. Whenever (most of the time) I click on one in my whole 30 newsletter it says error or not found...but the old girl will keep trying.

miki

@Miki I agree with @Physibeth 

You've learned so much here. Do your June Whole30 and then transition into AIP.

(btw there are some amazing AIP pages on Facebook, great recipes, support, etc etc, some great cookbooks too)

I'm planning on finishing this Whole30, staying compliant (although I will be having sex with my pants on at least once ;-) ), and then doing full AIP, I will let you know how it goes!

I cut out eggs and nightshades for this Whole30 in preparation for AIP and have been ok with it - you could consider maybe one of those for your next Whole30? So that AIP doesn't seem so big?  Have to say I really haven't missed either. 

I am more worried about giving up seeds and nuts - seeds mostly in the form of spices I love, most notably black pepper! That's gonna be tough. 

And even after taking all the care in the world  I ate something here at home last night that made me flare. Had some shrimp, with some anchovies, don't know what happened but I started itching and twitching.  :-( 

I think you're brave to say no restaurants - politically for me, with work, that would be almost impossible. But I agree, its definitely a wild card because you don't know what else has been on that grill, etc. The only way to really control it is if you've made it yourself. Eating out on AIP will be tough. But as you say, a world where we are in pain and fatigued all the time - tougher. 

I love jicama for crunch and those tostones I made with that chicken salad really hit the crunch/carb spot. 

DAY 20!!!!!!!!!!!  Happy weekend everyone. 

Also Miki I've found that when you first get into the forums page (without clicking onto a message thread or forum) and type your keywords into the search function, you can find people talking about anything and everything. 

I found a Whole30 gal with some of the same issues as me and taking a medication I had considered by searching with the name of the illness and then the name of the medication. She gave me some good feedback on whether it had worked for her and we talked about whether diet had been effective in controlling on specific symptom. Very worthy. 

You can pretty much find anything on there. A great resource. 

I think for me to do a faithful one, I will not be able to eat out. I know that will make me pout and my friends will have a complete tizzy...but I feel achy everytime I eat out, no matter how many requests and questions.

I can have barbecues at the house, and we can go kayaking, etc...just not restaurants.

This is a choice everyone has to make for themselves. For me it is far less stressful to just say no to eating out for my Whole30s than it is to ask all the necessary questions. I understand how to do it if I get stuck but it is easier for me to just postpone such outings until I'm done. I love that you see this as an excuse to invite people over to your home and cook for them or do non-food related outings as well. Our cultures social food structure is a bit messed up I think and I love when I get a bunch of non-paleo eaters over to my home, feed them a compliant meal, and get complements to boot! All the pre-work you are doing is definitely going to help. Rock it!

So Dearest 5/5s,

Unable to use the beef broth I had in the cupboard, sigh, I took out some of the bone broth, added a little beef, onion, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, mushrooms, garlic and salt and pepper. cooked it down a bit, mashed it with a "sweet potato masher" added fresh avocado and it was great! My new "w30 compliant stinky soup". Next I'll try it with chicken bone broth...too good. The fresh avocado makes it.

Other than that I am being very kind to myself today. Jacuzzi, a little cleaning and cooking, nails and eyebrows later and then to bed early for my 7 am walk.

I hope you're all doing well.

Thanks for the input on eating out. I'm reading the book "The Power of Habit" I already had it but it was recommended on here somewhere. Very interesting. I'm trying to work on some ingrained habits (snacking and bedeating).

Suggestions Please: I still find that I feel full very early in the meal, but if I stop eating then, I'm hungry in a half hour or hour. I just don't like feeling full full anymore, but I don't like being hungry and headachy. I could eat 4 smaller meals, but I just feel like that is "me" manipulating the guidelines to satisfy my "don't tell me what to do" emotional leftovers.

thoughts?

MamaMiki

I have had to retrain my self to eat until I'm very full so that it carries me through to my next meal otherwise I'm hungry in about 3 hours. Like auburngaNC said she went up to three eggs for breakfast, to fill up and stay full. I do try to eat my protein first and end up with a little bit of fruit. I may leave veggies on the plate but never protein. Good luck!

I am SO HAPPY...I found the sugar free bacon. I will have it tomorrow for breakfast.

I also found the Tessemae's hot wing sauce...and garlic and lemon pepper with no junk.

For dinner I'm having lettuce wraps. Inside is ground organic veggie fed chicken cooked with broccoli slaw and cabbage. served with leftover friend sweet potato, served with a bit of avocado and the chicken hot wing sauce...OH BABY.

I'm watching a realling interesting documentary on Netflix which interviews everyone Ive read or watched. It isn't whole 30, but it would support it. It's called "Hungry for Change".

A good day!

I hope you all are doing good too.

miki

I found it at whole foods. The one in Redondo didn't have it, but he said he usually did. The whole foods in Torrance on PCH had it in a section with what appeared to be other sugar free foods...but not all were bad oil free so I still read it. I found compliant hot dogs and a sausage, but still no breakfast sausage that is compliant. It looks like I might have to put my big girl panties on yet AGAIN and try making it...lol.

I'm so excited about the bacon...I'll let you know how it tastes tomorrow. I bought 3 packs, I hope it's good!

Miki

Costco's Kirkland low sodium bacon is sugar free.

Miki - have you seen The Paleo Approach by thepaleomom.com ?  Her website has tons of discussions about paleo diet for immune disease.  I have her book which is basically a science primer about autoimmune diseases.

Renee,

BONE BROTH - I've made it twice now...so i'm no expert, but it is really good and I allow it like I would a cup of tea (I think that's okay, but don't quote me). I went to the butcher in Ralphs (a local grocery) and I asked for marrow bones (now that I think about it, I guess I should have tried to do it at whole foods with grass fed ones) and they had packages already made up of six bones. I threw them in a pot with garlic and onions and any veggies ends or sweet potato peels and simmered for 6 hours. I then rescued the bones and froze them again, strained the veggies and  voila.

For me, I had to get some of the fat out so I removed after chilling and it fills up two rubbermaid pitchers. I put one in the freezer and one in the frig.

Miki

5/5s on Sunday May 25,

We're at countdown and doing well. Due to circumstance beyond my wisdom I have not completed my first Whole 30. I was motivated, but not prepared and that bit me.

I bought a new blender yesterday to try and avoid the "mayo fiasco" in the food processor...I'm really sad I didn't take a picture so you could all share in my joy of being splattered waist to head with in process mayonnaise (you know you can't stop drizzling oil once you start!). I'm going to learn some dressings and different mayo's this week. My meal composition is getting easier. I either chop up all of the veggies on the weekend (lazy) or buy them already chopped (lazier) but something about pre-chopped veggies sealed in plastic, seems to go against the spirit of buying local and fresh, showing gratitude for those who toiled and picked the veggies. That is the fun thing about going to the Farmer's Market is you actually get to see the people who bothered to grow them.

Today is my "Sunday Walk to the beach. I always look forward to it. Then brunch with the boss at a client's house. The client is so cool. I told her about my program and I think she'll have a lot of compliant foods.

I  need to read up on nuts. I may not allow them for myself during my perfect whole 30. I think I've also decided to eliminate tomatoes, but will allow chili and eggs...I just have a  feeling that tomatoes are hard for me.

Okay, I'm off. I hope you all enjoy your day, find your food yummy, your quest something to be proud of.

DebC...good luck on finding the bacon.

Anyone with a homemade breakfast sausage recipe they would like to share? I'll google later, just trying to be lazy.

I sure am glad I found this group of people for this journey.

m

Whole Foods Bacon is TOTALLY WORTH IT.

Breakfast, Chopped Kale, Brussels Sprouts, Spinach, Arugula & 1/4 avocado, tossed with with a little meyer lemon olive oil, fresh lemon, served with two soft eggs on top and bacon crumbles...heavenly.

I will be checking out the low sodium bacon at Costco next time I go.

Miki

Miki- Here's a recipe I used to make breakfast sausage, it was super easy and pretty good but not quite the taste I was going for (I made the sage apple cause the spicy maple that's also listed has maple syrup in it). My husband loved it so maybe I'm just picky. 

http://grassfedmidland.com/2014/01/28/paleo-breakfast-sausage-sage-apple-spicy-maple/

I'm doing pretty well...had a pretty intense snacking-turned-into-lunch-binge the other day (with compliant foods, but still...) but I've bounced back pretty nicely and trying to focus on finishing strong. Lots of anxiety lately (unrelated to the whole30, completely related to some major changes in my life) and really having a hard time not using food to cope or distract myself. But really finding a huge breakfast helps so, so much! I feel like people have been saying that all along but I'm really experiencing first hand- the bigger the breakfast, the less likely I'll be to snack or overeat the rest of the day. 

I've found that the 2 standout hardest things to not eat were just 2 (TWO!) occasions where my sister or mom cooked something special. That's really not that bad in 22 days. If I'd eaten whole30 most of the month and just off-roaded on those 2 occasions, that's not so bad (for post whole30 eating...). Hope I have plenty of willpower when these 30 days end. 

Most of the time, I'm really surprised how many things I can find to eat when my family gets together. I think they actually eat pretty darn healthy (usually someone brings olives or veggies to snack on before dinner, there's always a lovely salad with just veggies, plus steamed asparagus from my sisters garden or fresh sugar snap peas....). It's encouraging to note that with just a few tweaks, weekly dinners with my family won't be my downfall.

Happy Sunday, Y'All

@dawnwalle- leftover dinner is always a good option for breakfast...another option is to have fruit as a side dish ex. this morning I had deviled eggs, cucumber slices, and a sliced banana w/ a handful of blueberries in coconut cream topped with toasted coconut.

@Miki- I can't ever imagine going back to the other bacon now! Glad you found some! Also buying cut veggies or cutting massive amounts on Sunday for the week is not lazy...it is efficient and means that you are committed to doing whatever you have to do to make positive changes in your life....and...I do it too :blink:

Friday was a rough day where it seemed like everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. I missed lunch and really felt the repercussions by 3 that afternoon. It was a firm reminder that I am no good at helping other people solve their problems if I don't take the time I need for myself and that includes fueling my body. I guess that is why the book was so insistant about us taking the time to sit down and eat at a table. Taking that time not only helps you slow your eating pace down, but also gives you a great stress break. I'm so glad I've figured that out.

I also bought my first Lara bars on Friday. I will definitely be saving them for my backpacking trip because they seem a little like Paleo crack! So yummy and addictive!

Right now I am planning a menu for a party I'm having next Saturday to celebrate my son and my mom's birthdays as well as my mom's retirement. I will be doing a bulk of the cooking myself and everything that I'm making is going to be compliant. I figured that would be my best defense against the cakes that I'm ordering for dessert. I am planning on making a compliant lemon custard with raspberries so I can have something too. Fingers crossed!!

Oh! and I had my first cup of chicken bone broth with breakfast. It took me a couple sips to get used to the idea, but then I decided that it was great! I have a hard time eating first thing in the morning still. I'm hungry, but just don't feel like eating (if that makes sense). I'm going to start sipping on a cup of bone broth first thing in the morning to see how that might help.

Auburngal- I'm glad the bone broth was a success, I really need to make some and add it to my routine!

Tonight I went to a cookout and was so tempted by.....THE SCALE IN THE BATHROOM! Haha. I blew right past the strawberry shortcake, baked beans, macaroni salad... but I had to exercise extreme discipline when I walked into the bathroom and saw a scale sitting out in plain sight! I don't know why I care so much! 

Bluegrass Mama, thanks for the sausage recipe, I'll try it.

I went to a luncheon cooked by a client of ours. She asked what we like to eat and I told her I was doing a whole30 and that I could basically eat protein, veggies, & fruit. When we got there she had roasted sweet potatoes, chicken, salad, homemade dressing and fruit with whipped coconut milk. She had read the website and made a compliant meal...how amazing was that?

Now for dinner.  I've had an easy and good day, I'm feeling so much more in control.

MamaMiki

@Miki your breakfast AND lunch sound so good! YUM. 

I'll be going bacon hunting this week. 

Think I'm going on a Costco run so I'll check that out too, thanks for that tip drtracyb

@dawnwalle for no eggs breakfast I just eat basically another lunch. Burger with salad, chicken, fish, etc! 

I did read somewhere of someone making paleo granola

http://www.paleocupboard.com/granola.html  for Whole 30 I guess you would just leave out the honey

Oh, I see on this thread, looks like granola is considered SWYPO

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6159-looking-for-a-granola-recipe/

I had a friend for lunch today and made this salad - super easy and it was delicious. I added lemon juice. 

http://www.changeofpaceforme.com/2013/07/recipe-single-serve-paleo-chicken-salad.html

We also had beautiful organic peaches with mint and spiced whipped coconut cream.  She loved everything! 

Went to a BBQ tonight and just ate veggies. Too scared to try the burgers as so many have eggs (I am doing no eggs) or sometimes breadcrumbs. The host's Mom couldn't understand why I wouldn't try her beautiful gazpacho, I had explained I was on a healthy eating plan and she felt it was very healthy. I tried to explain I wasn't eating nightshades and she tried to understand what on earth I was talking about LOL. Very sweet lady. 

Last night had an interesting experience, ate some smoked salmon without checking ingredients. Really I was like salmon is salmon. How could I have been so careless? Very shortly thereafter I began to feel super duper crazy cranky. Sugar cranky. Went and checked the package and sure enough, brown sugar listed in the ingredients (although 0% sugars listed in the breakdown - I don't understand this). Wow. Of course, salmon is cured, like bacon, it makes total sense there would be sugar. This morning I had a terribly upset stomach. All very interesting. No, I'm not starting over. I'm going to start the Auto Immune Protocol right after this, so all of this is a good learning experience. 

@Miki, Mickey Trescott is another good AIP person to look out for. I have her cookbook. I also agree with the Sarah Ballentyne comment and I have her book The Paleo Approach as well. 

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/

Anyways, have a terrific Memorial Day everyone!

@Miki- that is so cool about your client making a compliant lunch!!

@Bluegrass_mama- I laughed when I read your post about the cookout and the scale temptation. I had my own temptation on Friday when I took my son to the doctor. We sat in the room with a scale for 20 minutes and it was the first time I really felt tempted to step on the scale. I told my son I really wanted to step on it and just see how I was doing and he said "Mom, you only have a little more time till your 30 days are up, then you can step on the scale, and then keep going with your diet." It made me smile to have such a smart 12 year old! He is right though. On day 34 (4 days added for the non-compliant bacon on my first 4 days) I will weight myself and take pictures and then go through the reintroduction. I feel like the reintroduction is necessary, but once that is done, I think I will start my next whole30 right away eliminating nightshades.

It is a beautiful Memorial Day here in the US and I am starting my morning with bone broth. I'm going to start my day with bone broth since I am hungry first thing in the morning, but never feel like eating right away. Does anyone else have that problem?

Have a great day everyone!!!

Archived