May 5th start

Kage

Hello everyone. Hope everyone had a great Friday! I decided since it was Friday (and I didn't feel like it) I would stay home.....and I did! I got the boys off to school, made myself breakfast and then made breakfast and coffee for my wife. She went back to bed and I turned into the "human tornado." Been getting a bunch of parts for my '66 Mercury so I worked on the car until it was running terrific. I then took it for a spin and ran some errands. Came home, uncovered the boat and washed it so we can take it out on Sunday. Worked on my motorcycle a little bit but still need some more parts to finish it. Painted some more in the garage and then broke out the chainsaw and started cutting down trees that are growing into the driveway. Made a huge burn pile for another day and then went grocery shopping. I wanted to do a couple recipes this weekend but have no idea where in the hell I am supposed to find coconut aminos? I also couldn't find frozen cherries! Will maraschino cherries work?

Worked on a friends truck for him, built some shelving for the garage ceiling, walked my black lab KC with my wife, ribeyes on the grill, and a nice relaxing evening.......except I have a bunch of homework to get done.

Rascal Flatts was a very fun concert last night. I used some of my super powers to make sure that we did not get rained on even though they were calling for it. They did a great "a capella" rendition of "Happy" by Pherrill Williams and did a Motley Crue cover song. They were very entertaining and sounded great. Traffic was a bit of a bear but at least it didn't rain on us.

My wife has me running around to find new patio furniture tomorrow and then we are all taking the '66 Mercury to a baseball game and watching fireworks after.

I am pretty tired and I can guarantee that I will sleep like the dead!

Have a fantastic weekend everyone......keep up the good work! And please tell me where I am supposed to find these silly ingredients. Is coconut aminos the same as Cheetos?

Dave

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deb that olive tampenade sounds delicious. Book marked the recipe and will be trying asap.

Went out to dinner for the first time this whole30. Ate a beef dish with steamed broccoli and carrots in a tomato sauce. It was gluten free and dairy free. Whether there were any other tricky ingredients in there I don't know but no adverse reactions this morning make me hopeful it really was compliant. Very small serve of protein though. Every one else had garlic bread and desert and I left hungry.

I think it was Dave who mentioned green tea with pomegranate. That is my absolute favourite tea at the moment. I can't have too many cups though or I can't sleep.

Happy Weekend every one :)

Dave ordered my coconut aminos from iherb. No where around here stocks them. I was tricked in my last whole30 by coconut amino sauce which was the same brand and stocked by my local health food shop but contains coconut sugar. $12 wasted, not impressed. It was cheaper from iherb even with shipping to Australia.

Dave whew!! youre making me tired!!! You can get coconut aminos at wholefoods if you are near one. Make sure to get the Red Boat brand it is w30 compliant. You can come and work at my house anytime!!

Deb, TANKS for all the info and links!!!! Will def check them out. The recipes look great gonna have to try the dressing for sure. 

Well I did it, I ate out !! I know that sounds like alot but my stomach has been very sensitive as of late and it seemed I didn't want to wake the devil. The restaurant I chose was owned by a Paleo Guy and the wait staff was extremely accommodating to all my special food "issues". She basically said you tell me what you want and we'll make it. So I kinda mixed and matched food on the menu and Yum Yum. Plus the meat is all pasture fed, some local and some Kobi. The rest of the food comes local and organic. It was soooo good!! I haven't had a steak in I don't know how long! I only ate half of my food cause I was worried it would upset my stomach but was all good except I was hungry soon and wished I had eaten it all there!!! Auburngal thanx for the tip on a steak house and my son thanks you too!

All in all my day 30 was a success and I celebrated in my own way. Still going on another 15 or so and will take out eggs (mayo) :angry:  lime, lemon, black/green tea, pickles (fermented food), avocado oh and Aleve. I think that about covers it!! I am going to weigh and measure myself once tomorrow and let it go!! I just have to know. 

Good Luck all with your last days!!!!

Long hard day, but it sounds like everyone is doing great. Dave makes me feel lazy. Marita..what was the name of the accommodating restaurant? do we have them in socal? prob not, huh?

I'll look for the gluten free nutritional yeast...that dressing sounds really good. I think I'll split the diff and use on clove of garlic.

Keep up the great work folks.

Having major computer issues so I'm going to type quick and hope this posts!

@Dave- Frozen dark sweet cherries are in the frozen food section near the deserts at most grocery stores. Sometimes you have to look hard because they often get mixed in with the frozen strawberries. I found coconut aminos at Whole Foods in the Asian food section. I'm sure you could find it at an Asian grocery store too if you happen to have one near by (a little more rare than Whole Foods though!).

Feeling great this morning and preparing for a big party at my house today. I'm preparing a whole30 style BBQ for my family and I'm really excited! Busy...Busy...

@Marita...let me know how it goes with those additional eliminations. I have a severe yeast allergy and I am supposed to eat the whole30 way all the time but also eliminate anything fermented and vinegar (of all kinds) as well as black tea (which contains mold spores). I can't imagine eliminating all of those things too.

Whew! What a day!!! Had a most fabulous time at the BBQ for my family. I got tons of compliments on my Whole30 compliant food. I admit I did look longingly at the cupcakes my sister brought for dessert. I took one and put it in a tupperware container in my freezer to eat after I introduce gluten back :D

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend too!

Can you believe it's June 1st? wow, that went fast. I think I learned more about my body than I have in a very long time. I'm looking forward to starting a new (real, 1st) whole 30 on June 9th. I think I'm fully prepared this time. I need to try making Deb's Tahini Dressing. I think my favorite dishes are BLT salad, Thai curry with shrimp and fresh basil and the ground chicken with shredded broccoli, kale and brussels sprouts. I love mashed sweet potato with soft cooked eggs on top. I love the homemade alfalfa sprouts and arugula salad. The only two decisions I have left are...will I leave eggs off of the plan and will I or won't I have apple with almond butter. I don't seem to overeat it, but it might be a "dessert trigger", I just can't tell.

I need to get to the gym and I need to drink more water. I'm treating myself to a couple of cases of Evian for my next whole 30.

I'm making broiled Brussels Sprouts today with a Trader Joe's turkey patty, which much to my amazement is easy and compliant.

I think for me the fruit has to be kept to a minimum and I think the nuts must be eliminated as I don't seem to have an off switch. I also don't seem to be able to make sweet potato chips of fries, even compliant. I just need to cook the sweet pot and mix it in with veggies or eggs for a more filling dish.

I think I need to go to the Dave school of hard knocks and just eat what I'm supposed to and forget about it.

Eating is an sporting event for me. It's a friend and companion, it's certainly a drug for me and I'm hoping that a full month of NO EXCUSES whole 30 will revamp the way I view food.

Auburn, great job on the BBQ. Smart move with the cupcake.

I'm really looking forward to hearing about everyone's experiences adding in their missed foods.

MamaMiki

I can't believe we are almost done! 

@Miki I too need to go easy on the fruit. Have been eating peaches the last few days maybe too many. 

Tahini definitely has a satisfyingly fatty and nutty feel and taste. I have also eaten a lot of df pesto with my meats, Whole Foods had a raw pistachio pesto the other day and it was amazing with chicken. I felt satisfied for hours and hours, really understood the "you have to eat enough fat" thing as I just wasn't hungry.  

My short ribs were INSANELY GOOD. Reposting the recipe. They are a budget splash but to impress guests, they are fabulous! And so easy, stick them in the slow cooker and leave them all day. I also saved the fat and leftover sauce to use in other dishes. One of my guests said " I can totally see why you have more energy if this is how you eat". She said the next say she felt great even though she had eaten a ton of food. Yay! I used apple cider vinegar as couldn't find coconut vinegar. 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3762844557/slow-cooker-korean-grass-fed-short-ribs

I think I might be a convert back to the slow cooker, might try some pork or something next. 

Have a good Sunday everyone!  

Hey everyone! Well I got my fix. Weighed and measured, lost 11 inches and 5 lbs. I was hesitant about mentioning the weight for the same reason I'm not supposed to weigh myself but what the heck. More importantly I feel so much better. My joints are not stiff and I feel like my system is running more efficiently.

On the first couple days of no eggs and its really weird. I cant seem to have enough proteins  and veggies on hand thawed, ready to cook or cooked. Eggs were always my easy fall back. Now with no eggs & tuna, nightshades, citrus, vinegars and nuts....makes the straight w30 look like a piece of cake. :P  Don't miss the cake but the variety is sketchy. But before I thought I could never eat my eggs without toast and guess what? I can. So I have to really think of breakfast as meal 1 and get creative~again its only for 15-20 days right? 

I am  a little worried because the reason I'm cutting out even more is my sinuses are still stuffy and runny. What happens when I take all this out and I still have sinus issues  :(  Then what? Feeling hopeful it will reveal itself....

Love hearing about all your success with your parties and BBQ's keep up the flow!!

Hey everyone! Well I got my fix. Weighed and measured, lost 11 inches and 5 lbs. I was hesitant about mentioning the weight for the same reason I'm not supposed to weigh myself but what the heck. More importantly I feel so much better. My joints are not stiff and I feel like my system is running more efficiently.

Please please please no more weighing and measuring until your Whole30 is complete. Thank you.

My day has gone down hill fast. Woke with a slightly sore throat and now it is really sore and fever has set in. With all of my BBQ planning yesterday I didn't drink enough water and now I am severely dehydrated too. I never thought my worst day would be day 29. I have chicken soup simmering for dinner, but ....sigh

Hey Moderator! Not everyone in this group started on the same day! We all started around the same time. Thank you.

Allow me to clarify: if you are still on your Whole30, please refrain from weighing and measuring yourself until your Whole30 is complete.

If you are finished with your Whole30, congratulations! As you continue onto reintroductions, we ask that you create a new thread in the Whole30 Reintroductions area to document your reintroduction experience.

Auburngal, thanx for the shout out, the moderators prolly didn't know when I started but I'm not going to weigh myself again anyway. I'm so sorry your dad is ill and you ran yourself down after such a good party. Sounds like you are on the right track with the chicken soup. Your day 30 will be great! I made beef broth today in the slow cooker and boy does it smell good!! Also thank you for the tip on Black Tea I was wondering why. Also I picked up a book, Practical Paleo part cookbook and part nutrition focusing on Auto Immune issues. It has tons of info. I can't put it down!  

I wonder if we can start a May 5 start blog on the reintroductions area? I really don't want to lose track of all of you.

I pulled a Dave today. Cleaned out my garage ..HUGE job. Put tons of stuff out for a big trash day, but it's all almost disappeared. Then I pulled a couple of large bushes and a small tree. I went in the jacuzzi tonight, but getting out of bed tomorrow may still be daunting! It really did help to be busy all day. I totally agree with Dave's take on just keeping busy until you can't move.

I had one of my fav meals, ground chicken  with tons of veggies over mashed sweet potato, sliced avocado and sugarfee chicken wiing sauce from Whole Foods...MAN OH MAN is that good and very filling.

Okay, home stretch for most of you. I'm so impressed with everyone's commitment and hard work. Feeling better is so worth it!

MamaMiki

Happy Day 30 to actual 5/5-ers! I'm super proud of all of us for sticking with this- and for making great plans for the future.

I'm waiting to start my reintroduction 3 days to compensate for possible non-compliant chicken I ate in the first 3 days. 

I found some of my favorite recipes in the last few days: http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/ this was so good and my husband and baby loved it too! This bbq sauce is allllmost perfect (I feel like it needs something!) but I think it will go great with pulled pork: http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/condimentssauces/beasty-bbq-sauce/ and this recipe could replace our Chinese takeout habit, it's so good! http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/paleo-chicken-stir-fry/

Miki I love your idea to start a May 5th thread in the reintro forum. 

I'm having bad dreams that I've eaten non-compliant food (on day 29!)- it could be related to the 2 dinner parties we attended last night, I always have a little anxiety about eating anywhere but home. 

Well everybody, this was the best possible way we could have spent the last month. Congratulations! So glad I impulsively started on a Sunday and found you all :).

Good Morning Everyone !

Well I can hardly believe that we are almost done, today and than tomorrow! :lol: 

So many of us ........... Kage, traway, Kaetee, Campjess757, Lexuslinda, Freylah, Gabenick2, tart_bella, aboissaye, Tzarter, srdurham, NoBothers13, tarathetarabull, sharbear1, dawner, renee_a, dawnwalle, drtracyb, DebC, Kage, Auberngal, bluegrass_mama, Miki, Dave, Marita, monicav, Jamie........ just to name a few!

It was fun to travel this journey with all of you and to come here for daily support :) , ideas :o , cheers :D , jeers :blink: , pitfalls :angry: ....  understanding  :wub: ...................... etc ....................

I made a great baked salmon on Saturday, I modified a recipe that I found on line and it turned out great.  I mixed a little olive oil with regular mustard, lightly smeared it on the salmon and then I put herbs and ground up pecans (instead of bread crumbs) and baked ..... it turned out really yummy!

I think that we all learnt alot about the food that we eat and how it effects us and how it controls us especially if this was the first time!

So Day 30 is tomorrow, last day to follow the guidelines.......

And then re-introduction..... kind of sounds like we were all on a secret mission ........... LOL !

Have a GGGGGGGGGGGGGREAT day !

Well, the last official day of my initial Whole30 is tomorrow, but I had to add on 9 days.  June 12th will be my last day and I hope I can make it that long.  I was doing so well; but suddenly I am really really really tired of this.  :-(  

May have something to do with my daughter's graduation from high school this weekend.  I have two favorite desserts.  Cheesecake and white cake with white frosting (mostly wedding cake!).  Anyway we had both at our house because that is what the graduation girl wanted.  I didn't eat any of it.  We have leftovers.  Do you think some people could help me out and EAT it all?  I am very close to just putting it all in the trash.

I stayed compliant but felt sick yesterday and I don't feel great today.  What the HECK!  And I'm exhausted....  I'm not going to quit; but I am over it.

Jamie

Donna, great job on staying strong yesterday, that must have been really tough.

Bluegrass Mama - it has been fun to have such a great group to work through this journey.

I can't wait to hear the reintro realizations. I am still overwhelmed that food is this crucial to things like sinus and body pain.

Make it a great day, honoring yourself and your body.

Hang tough!

I too have a few more days since I had that non-compliant bacon for the first few days. Thursday will be my last official day. Someone please start a thread for our group on the reintroductions forum and share the link with us! This has been such a fabulous group and I'm not ready to give ya'll up yet!

I'm still feeling crummy...taking the day off work to stay in bed. I made some yummy chicken soup though but my throat hurts too bad for me to do anything but sip the broth. :-( Still Whole30 though because I've come too far to give up now!!

@Jamie....I had a bbq this weekend with my favorite kind of cupcakes...I put one in the freezer to save until I reintroduce gluten. Maybe you can do that with your deserts. Both should freeze well and give you something to look forward to!

Have a great day everyone!!!

I'm checking back in on June 16th (with myself) to see if I want to continue for another 15 days or reintro. I agree I would love to continue on with you all in another feed. If anyone starts one could you put it out there. I was reading some of them last night and it would be great to have friends who I feel I know and who know me taking this next step together. :) When ever we all reintro~it sounds like there will be many different reintro. dates....

Auburngal I really hope you do feel better soon. 

I agree with you Miki how crucial food is to sinus activity. :(

Donna your funny, secret mission!

Jamie, I understand the "I'm over it" feeling, having to add in~ rather take out more food from my diet has been really hard but I just can't give up yet. I feel like I have come too far to cave now. In fact I think my reintro will be limited because there is food I may not re-eat!

Congrats to you all on your day 30!!! :D  :D  :D  

Archived