May 5th start

Kage

Hey all, still going strong? :D

Today is day 4 for me and I'm comfortably in the zone. I'm definitely finding it easier this time, probably because I know what I need to be eating and I'm not trying to detox from diet coke!

For great food ideas I can't recommend the Well Fed books enough plus her blog, theclothesmakethegirl. Melissa's recipes are always on point and even as a non-American, so not always able to source certain ingredients, nearly all recipes are accessible. (I did find spaghetti squash for €20 a kg lol)

This was shared with me on another forum and I thought it was apt

post-32663-0-62026700-1399565402_thumb.j

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gabenick2,

I totally know the feeling. I think what Dave says is right. They trick you into thinking this is only for 30 days, but I imagine by the time you reach 30 days, you NEVER want to go back to feeling that "old" way again. I quit smoking 14 years ago, after smoking for 20. I can't ever imagine wanting to do that to my lungs, sinuses, heart, mouth, etc. I have a feeling as my system gets "food pure" I will do the same.

Just finished an amazing salad and am off for the day. Will look for another salad at my lunch meeting, Ice water, protein if I can find it and I will be grateful I have all of you to speak with tonight!

Geminimik

I completely agree with Freylah, the Well Fed cookbooks are a must have.  Not only are the recipes great but there is a lot of information on how to prepare food ahead of time.  I also really like the NomNomPaleo blog, she has a cookbook too which I look forward to getting.

I have a question - How soon after waking in the morning does everyone eat breakfast?  This has been my biggest challenge, I usually drink about 16oz of water & maybe a 1/2 cup of black coffee, but I'm just not hungry.  I really try not to eat when I'm not hungry, what do you all think?

@mizz I agree re not hungry for breakfast, me neither :-( 

plus I am doing no eggs...

breakfast is a challenge

Cooked up some yummy shrimp last night - sauteed with dairy free pesto (fully compliant, thank you Wholefoods) anchovy paste, raw desiccated coconut and some organic coconut milk - fast ,easy and delicious. Ate it with homemade coleslaw with a tahini/lemon juice/olive oil dressing. Tahini (sesame seed paste) is super delish and Wholefoods also has an organic brand. 

Have a lunch to go to and have already perused the menu in advance to determine what to have - tuna on greens.

Good luck today everybody!

Also Dave so very sorry about your dog. What a rough day you had, and you stayed strong. 

In the exhausted aftermath of emotional trauma, I have a deep deep desire to eat to feel better. 

Anyone who can stay strong in the face of that is my hero. 

Geminimik

I completely agree with Freylah, the Well Fed cookbooks are a must have.  Not only are the recipes great but there is a lot of information on how to prepare food ahead of time.  I also really like the NomNomPaleo blog, she has a cookbook too which I look forward to getting.

I have a question - How soon after waking in the morning does everyone eat breakfast?  This has been my biggest challenge, I usually drink about 16oz of water & maybe a 1/2 cup of black coffee, but I'm just not hungry.  I really try not to eat when I'm not hungry, what do you all think?

According to the book, you should eat your first meal within 1 hour of waking. It states "if your not hungry, that means your hormones are off and one of the best ways to get those hormones back in line is to eat something in the morning, when it's biologically appropriate."

This has been challenging for me as well.  I like to have a bottle of water and a cup of coffee before I do anything. Cooking a breakfast upon waking is not so much fun but I guess like anything it takes some time to break the habit.

Geminimik

I normally get up at 6 but don't eat breakfast until 7:30. I too am just not hungry. I don't drink coffee in the morning, just sip on water until I eat.

According to the book, you should eat your first meal within 1 hour of waking. It states "if your not hungry, that means your hormones are off and one of the best ways to get those hormones back in line is to eat something in the morning, when it's biologically appropriate."

This has been challenging for me as well.  I like to have a bottle of water and a cup of coffee before I do anything. Cooking a breakfast upon waking is not so much fun but I guess like anything it takes some time to break the habit.

Thank-You traway

It's definitely not a surprise to me that my hormones are off, I feel the effect of that dealing with more than just not being hungry for breakfast!  :)  I'm sure going forward things will start to settle down. One day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time, shoot I've even had to take one minute at a time!  

Deb C......thanks! I tend to want to eat when bad things happen too. Today is a humdinger too since my property manager called me and said that a car missed the curve and took out my fence at my Missouri home which is a rental. Bad things come in threes.......by my count that should be it. Im still smiling and eating healthy.

Mizz - I used to rush right out without breakfast and found myself starving (snacking). I now get up and have some sausage and eggs and I feel great all the way to lunch.

Just as a note to give people an idea of what they might experience (something I did). When I was doing the first W30, I went to the bathroom (urination) a lot! It seemed like I could not keep my hydration under control. I was parched and my lips were getting dry and cracked. Make sure you stay hydrated, you dont want any sort of kidney problems. This has passed for the past two weeks and I feel like I have it under control now. Good luck and have a great day.

Dave

Deb C......thanks! I tend to want to eat when bad things happen too. Today is a humdinger too since my property manager called me and said that a car missed the curve and took out my fence at my Missouri home which is a rental. Bad things come in threes.......by my count that should be it. Im still smiling and eating healthy.

Mizz - I used to rush right out without breakfast and found myself starving (snacking). I now get up and have some sausage and eggs and I feel great all the way to lunch.

Just as a note to give people an idea of what they might experience (something I did). When I was doing the first W30, I went to the bathroom (urination) a lot! It seemed like I could not keep my hydration under control. I was parched and my lips were getting dry and cracked. Make sure you stay hydrated, you dont want any sort of kidney problems. This has passed for the past two weeks and I feel like I have it under control now. Good luck and have a great day.

Dave

Yes!  I got up 4 times last night to go to the bathroom!  Now I do drink a lot of water - a. lot. of water, but that's not anything new. It's good to hear that's not uncommon.  My sleep sure suffered last night - ummmm 8 hours - don't think so.  Thanks Dave  

Hi everyone.

You are all awesome!

I am sure that I am asking questions that have been asked but I searched and would get the words but not the exact question:

1. Newsletter- who is getting it? I held off and then I signed up 2 days into the plan. Now my emails are off by 2 days. I couldn't adjust it for the correct day. Anyone know of a way?  It is all good info I just need the motiviation each day.

2. Thanks for the Well Fed and the NomNomPaleo blog. Anyother great resources for meal ideas? (I know that is a lame broad question) I too am having trouble with breakfast idea. I guess my old thought pattern is "it is not ok to eat eggs every morning"

Have a great day. Keep strong.

Renee

Hi everyone.

You are all awesome!

I am sure that I am asking questions that have been asked but I searched and would get the words but not the exact question:

1. Newsletter- who is getting it? I held off and then I signed up 2 days into the plan. Now my emails are off by 2 days. I couldn't adjust it for the correct day. Anyone know of a way?  It is all good info I just need the motiviation each day.

2. Thanks for the Well Fed and the NomNomPaleo blog. Anyother great resources for meal ideas? (I know that is a lame broad question) I too am having trouble with breakfast idea. I guess my old thought pattern is "it is not ok to eat eggs every morning"

Have a great day. Keep strong.

Renee

Hi Renee!

I think if you click the link "update subscription preferences" which is located at the bottom of the newsletter email, you can change your start date from there. As far as breakfast idea's, here's a link which helped me with some breakfast ideas, so far the Sweet Potato Quiche is my favorite

http://meatified.com/30-days-whole-30-breakfasts/

Also, try Pinterest and search for Whole30 and you should be able to find lots of recipes there as well.  I like the idea of doing the casseroles or quiche's so that they are premade and all you have to do is warm them up. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Tracey

Hi Renee!

I think if you click the link "update subscription preferences" which is located at the bottom of the newsletter email, you can change your start date from there. As far as breakfast idea's, here's a link which helped me with some breakfast ideas, so far the Sweet Potato Quiche is my favorite

Also, try Pinterest and search for Whole30 and you should be able to find lots of recipes there as well.  I like the idea of doing the casseroles or quiche's so that they are premade and all you have to do is warm them up. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Tracey

Hi Renee,

If you do this and it works can you let us know :) I am on day 3 and would also like to start receiving the newsletters, but didn't want to buy it unless it could be adjusted.

Thanks!

Kim

I'm so glad I'm not alone in the water! I think part of the reason we are all drinking more water is because we are using it to stave off hunger pains...that is what it is for me. I am trying to avoid snacking so I just keep nursing my bottle of water and then it seems that the more I drink the thirstier I am!

Hi Kim and Renee, 

I'm sure what Tracey suggested would work but I also signed up a day or two after I started and I just emailed [email protected] and asked them to change my start date and they did right away! I didn't see that link when I emailed them.

Also - Renee, I am going to make some homemade breakfast sausage (apple and sage!) for days when I'm not in the mood to eat eggs (http://grassfedmidland.com/2014/01/28/paleo-breakfast-sausage-sage-apple-spicy-maple/)

And I've really been enjoying going through these recipes:

http://stupideasypaleo.com/category/whole30-2/

For post-whole30, I love the Domestic Man's approach to Paleo (I'm sure he has some whole30 recipes on his site as well): 

http://thedomesticman.com/

Dave, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog- that would definitely be enough of a bad day for me to throw in the towel, I'm very impressed with your resolve! 

Dave - sorry to hear about your dog :( well done for staying strong even on an awful day, you know you feel better for it but it is still hard.

Auburngal - yay for feeling less bloated, I thought the same thing yesterday when I was getting dressed. It is a good feeling.

bluegrass-mama - welcome! My fridge was so jam packed after I shopped on Wednesday I could hardly shut the door. Doesn't take ling to disappear though!

Hi to every one else. Hopefully the tiredness is starting to pass. I definitely felt a bit less foggy yesterday. I have a treat today, my hubby and girls gave me a day spa voucher for christmas and I am using it today so full body massage, scrub and facial here I come :)

Thank you Dave for the info. I am finding that I am parched all the time.

Normally I am not a water drinker and usually have to force myself to drink water but the last few days I have found that I am always parched and have no problem drinking water which of course leads to a trip to the bathroom.

Thank you for sharing the information, greatly appreciated ! :)

And so sorry to hear about your dog, I would be devastated if our dog passed away.

To me (not a doctor) I think the body is just used to so many carbs holding the water inside of us that once you flush them out, the shrinking begins. As much crap as I was eating I must have been set up like a camel! Being parched did finally go away and even when I was drinking a lot to stay hydrated, I did NOT have the bloated "waterbed" feel that I used to have when drinking too much.

Another side effect that I noticed after about two weeks was bad breath. My wife has always said that she never notices bad breath or body odor on me, but after about two weeks I started noticing the bad taste and bad breath. I brush more and use mouth wash (I'm sure my dentist will like to hear that). This also seemed to calm down before the 30 days are up. My allergies are still at bay, no acid reflux. My sleep is still awesome and still chasing cars with my energy.

Keep hydrated, stay focused.......30 days is not very far away.

Dave

Hi Renee!

Also, try Pinterest and search for Whole30 and you should be able to find lots of recipes there as well. I like the idea of doing the casseroles or quiche's so that they are premade and all you have to do is warm them up. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Tracey

I just ate this for breakfast. I had to replace procuttio for bacon because I haven't been able to source compliant bacon and it is delicious!

Hi 5/5's,

Lunch meeting was not managed well by MamaMiki. I tried a little of the dressing a nd I'm pretty sure it had sugar. I tried to pick the croutons and blue cheese out of the salad. Other than that it was veggie sandwiches with Moz..nope, cookies, chips ...I was starving and still am. I can't quite seem to pull myself out of the spiral. I'm eating approved...but I can't seem to get full.

I will make it through the day best I can.

m

Hi Renee!

Tracey

Thank you everyone. You are awesome.

Tracey,

Updating my subscription preferences worked. I was able to change my start date from the link in the email. Thank you.

Can't wait to check out the recipes.

Dave- sorry about your dog. Yes on bad breath! I have it already. On water- I just moved to a high altitude so I thought I was thirsty from my climate. Good to know.

Geminimik-I'm still snacking. I am trying hard to stop it but I have always eaten every couple of hours. I did increase my main meal portions but no luck yet.

@bluegrass_mama  Yesterday I tried both the Tessemae Zesty Ranch and Ketchup, both tasted great.  I don't think I will ever go back to the bad kind of ranch.  Today I tried Matty's BBQ Sauce and it was amazing, it did have a strong apple cider vinegar taste, but I didn't mind it because I am used to drinking it; it was a little runny but hopefully after a night in the refrigerator it will thicken up just a bit.  I also bought the hot wing sauce and I plan on using it this weekend with chicken wings.

Archived