May 5th start

Kage

Renee,

Thank you, I'm glad to know it's just not me. I', having my dinner now (4pm) because I"m starving. Hopefully I won't need to eat again before bed.

Tomorrow I will be better with my breakfast. Can we have just farmer john sausage? I love sausage.

m

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow I will be better with my breakfast. Can we have just farmer john sausage? I love sausage.

In looking at their website, looks like all their sausage contains sugar, which makes it a no no on a Whole30.

Many folks make their own sausage on a Whole30. Search the forum or Google for ideas.

I have been in a fog most of the day today. Had some coffee around 3pm today. I am usually pretty full between meals and am still full that I have to wait to eat dinner a little later. I feel like I can go without dinner and would be good but know I have to squeeze in the third meal.

Bought a rotisserie chicken and green beans from costco today for dinner.

Today was pretty good for me, with the exception of a mild headache this afternoon that I believe was caused by the heat (it already feels like mid-July here in Florida).  I had a meeting on the pool deck at work today and didn't take my water because I thought it would have been a max of ten minutes but lasted an hour.  I did eat a larabar today, and I believe I might have ate it just because I was bored waiting for the IT guy to finish up on my computer.  Onto day 5!!!

I may have to find someone to cook for me at this point, seriously? make mayo and sausage?  GF Chris, thanks for looking that up for me, I was all ready for some comfort sausage. I guess I'll drop by whole foods and see if I can find something. otherwise, perhaps bacon and eggs.

Okay, time to leave the office. I'll drink a bottle of water on the way to the store.

Day 4 is almost done for me... started a little slow but finished with a bang!

@Geminimik, you can make homemade mayo.... just follow the directions, it is easy and you will be very proud of yourself.

I am on my second batch!

@Kaetee, I wish we had some of your heat.... we had a brutal winter and the warm weather has only peaked its head out a couple of days, see you on Day 5

@Gabenick2, that is exactly how I felt today, was not really hungry at supper time so waited a little longer to eat but I did eat.

Welcome to all the new members and keep the recipes and encouragement coming, it is fun coming here to see what is new with everyone! :D

Well, I couldn't find any compliant breakfast sausage at whole foods. I really had a hankering too. The bacon has sugar or honey also. I guess I'll just keep trying. I read on a blog that Aidels Chicken Apple is compliant and a thai one from somewhere is. 

My food has been as compliant as I can make it, but the # of meals and quantities have not been.  I'm tired tonight. I think I was way low on protein today.

Sleep well, I believe tomorrow will be a great day.

Gem

It's Friday morning here so on to day 5

I see some of you are feeling hungry. I had this on my first whole30 and Tom had a look at my food diary. He was able to identify that I wasn't eating enough carb veg and relying on salad veg which is less bulky. I then made a large batch of coleslaw and ate a portion with a lot of my meals and it really did reduce my hunger. Another nice side is celeriac remoulade (grated celariac, mustard, pepper and mayo)

Don't be afraid to try making your own sausage. After a few trials we found a spice mix we all liked and now just keep a pot of it made up ready to mush into ground pork. Even our children love them.

Ditto with the mayo, it is insanely easy and so rich tasting. You can also mix it up, adding chipotle powder or crushed garlic, roasted red pepper .. The possibilities are endless.

I'm not a ketchup fan but the kick ass ketchup from well fed 2 is a great alternative. It was rejected by my kids as it is quite vinegary but it certainly suits grown up tastes.

I always keep roast chicken portions in the fridge and tuna in the press. Then I'm never stuck, at worst I can have olives, carrot sticks with mayo dip and chicken and still have a compliant meal.

I bought myself lots of different sized containers, an insulated lunch bag and portable ice-packs. I bring great lunches to work :) I'm lucky that my job doesn't ever include working lunches so I can bring my food with me, I appreciate that must be difficult.

One thing this whole30 will teach you is how to be prepared and how to choose. On the journey you will hit a few walls but you will overcome them and be more prepared the next time.

Now for any of you enjoying too much sunshine, please send it my direction. We're enjoying a classic Irish summer of rain - great for our grass fed cattle, not so great for the rest of us :)

So morning of day 6...or should I say day 3 since I found out that I didn't look close enough at the nitrate free cruelty free  bacon that was in my sweet potato hash for the first few days and found out that it too had sugar. That is what I get for trying to shop with my son who rushes me in the grocery store. I am so bummed about it that I had a hard time falling asleep last night. Then my dog had an upset tummy in this middle of the night which kept me up for a couple hours during the time of night when I normally get my best sleep. I went to make breakfast of scrambled eggs with green peppers and ham...Boar's head ham is supposed to be compliant, but almost all the varieties at my local store had a sugar or honey glaze. I bought the boiled version since no sugar, and just before I was about to put it in the skillet I looked at the package and noticed that it has MSG in it. sigh....I cried. Maybe I should also mention I have possibly the biggest job interview of my career this afternoon. I'm trying to get out of this funk but I'm am on the verge of saying "to hell with it!"

I'm trying to use Dave's bad day as inspiration to get thru this morning...Sorry I'm so down...

I have not been able to source compliant bacon and I haven't even tried ham. I use minute steak as a bacon substitute as in it doesn't taste any thing like bacon but it cooks up fast for breakfast like it.

Don't give in Auburngal! Think how you will feel tomorrow if you stay strong and then think how you will feel if you cave. Good luck on your interview

I'm good now. I will stick with it and add an extra 3 days to the end for my laziness in reading of the bacon package. My new found determination comes from a phone call I had with my mom who told me to give up. She said it is too restrictive and she doesn't think I can do it for a month. She also suggested that I quit and go on her diet. She has been dieting all wrong for many years and has never lost a bit of weight and for that reason I resolve to complete this and say nothing but good things about the process for the next 30 days!!

Good Morning Everyone,

How is everyone doing today?  @AuburgalNC-you can do it, if I can you can!

I can not believe that it is Day 5 already.

Where did the week go?  Although I have had moments it has been a pretty good week. I have a few headaches or dull pains, felt a little groggy the first few afternoons but I have had energy that I have never had before.

Things that I thought were going to be hard, turned out pretty good like the black coffee which I am up to two a day which is my norm.

I do drink a lot more water but that is good for you.

It is great coming here to hear how everyone else is doing and to realize that we are not alone in our struggle/survival of this journey we are on (that is the most rewarding).

I have never dieted but I watched what I ate but I also was feeling terrible with very little energy. I loved to snack sometimes good snacks and sometimes bad snacks if I am honest probably mostly bad!

I do realize that I need to be better prepared which I plan to do to do this weekend.

Have a great day everyone! :)

@auburngalNC . Your story about your mom made me lol. My mother recounts the time she went to join a slimming class. As she sat down a rather rotund lady cheerfully bent over and welcomed her, told her it was a wonderful class and she had been attending for 4 years. My mom said she stood up and left :)

You can do this and while those foods weren't fully compliant, don't discount the great things that you have done for your body the past few days. Best of luck with your interview

Good Morning,

Short on time, so I'll hit the highlights.

Freylah, Great input about the starch and coleslaw. I think you're right on the money for me and I will get better prepared next week and hope I have a better week.

AburngaNC, Sorry about your rough night. I too have not found compliant bacon or sausage..and now I guess I get to learn to cook it. Your job interview will be wonderful today. How nice to be a little healthier and more fit. I'll light a candle for your success.

Miss our wonderful input from Savior Dave.

Off to work, but will check in when I get to the office.

Have an amazing day.

Miki

Geminimik - here is my advice to you. Stop trying to be absolutely compliant with regards to bacon and sausage. I do not have the time to waste looking at every food item. I know....I know......its against the rules. I can almost hear the gasps thru the internet. I would be more worried about starving to death and getting frustrated because I couldn't find W30 compliant food. Buy bacon, buy sausage...eat it! Have it with a couple of eggs. The success for me came from removing as much of the bad stuff as I could which was considerable. I got rid of pancakes, and syrup, cereal, toast and jelly, etc.......the minimal amount of sugar in bacon was not going to be significant. I did not make my own mayo out of ground up pinecones, dirt, and rainbow dust. I just didn't eat any mayo. I used small amounts of ketchup or mustard. I wasn't perfect......but I was as strict as I could be while still being able to eat enough to NOT be hungry and to succeed. I didn't lose sleep over the fact that I couldn't find specific brands that met the W30 requirements. Don't beat yourself up. This is not supposed to be torture. This is supposed to be a HEALTHY change to your eating habits and a way to assess what was previously being pushed into your system. With that said, I applaud those who have the time, the means, and the will to create different condiments out of alternate sources. That also goes for those that are finding and buying the EXACT complaint foods. My intent is not to diminish this program at all, in fact, I speak highly of it daily. My intent is to continue to encourage those that need it, to offer the support until the results start to reveal themselves and people's motivation kicks into overdrive and then they are on their way. My intent is to ensure that those that cant be COMPLETELY compliant DO NOT defeat themselves when before they realize how close they are to their personal success! 

Dave

Hi Everyone….we can DO THIS!!  The key for me has been to have delicious food available.  It has been a lot of work, all the prepping and cooking -  but so worth it.  This is a BIG challenge for me considering I have 2 teenage girls and a husband who are NOT participating. I AM a short order cook these days, but I know the feeling of giving in and quitting and IT.IS.NOT.WORTH.IT.   EVER!  As far as my family, I'm pretty relaxed about it, I need to make changes for myself and do my best to lead by example…and I certainly don't need my fam in an uproar.  Pringles and ice-cream are well stocked around here.  So I have to stay well fed.  

Remember it's really not meant to be over after thirty days, so if you find that you've accidentally eaten something off limits, just tack on those days, you're still WAYYY ahead of the game.  

If any of you are feeling like me, I still feel super crappy….but I'm keeping my eye on the prize.  We have the weekend at our doorstep, I hope that a lot of us can can some good meal planning, shopping, and yummy food prepared to have a great week next week.

Okay Dave,

Now that's advice I can handle.  I'm off to buy the sausage I love and take a deep breath. Indeed, as you, the level of clean eating and vegetables and water has to have my body jumping for joy..

Today I am missing my normal ankle pain, foot pain and shoulder pain. I still have the thumb, hand, wrist pain, and the hip pain (but that's an injury being treated). I feel happy...and FYI, normally I suffer from mild to irritating anxiety and I just noticed I don't seem to have that.

I'm hoping to be able to start exercising again soon. I miss my tennis and yoga, but walking will have to do for now.

This morning I made a delightful melange of leftovers. with a little olive oil and ghee, I added onions, parsley, spinach, chicken, brussels sprouts, snap peas, sweet potato, garlic, lemon pepper, and Himalayan salt. I ate it with a little  Avocado on top and hot sauce...VERY FILLING, wahoo.

Here's to a clean, healthy and pain free Mother's Day.

MamaMiki

Start of day 5 for me.  I started out trying to track what I eat -- I mean just listing what I ate, not quantities or calories or anything.  I am not good at it.  This is one of the multiple reasons I could never make Weight Watchers work!  :-)

I'm going to try making ghee this afternoon.  Its been on my list all week of things to do but with work, kids and soccer games I have not had the time or energy.

I never have purchased coconut milk before.  I bought it in a can (after finding the brand suggested by some other people on here "Thai" I think?  it still has guar gum in it -- should I use it?  Why isn't there any 100% pure?).  I opened the can and it seemed solid which really confused me and then further down in the can there was liquid.  I've just never used it before so I had no idea that would be the consistency.  It was tasty -- but I've only had a couple of tablespoons of it so far.  I usually drink my coffee black anyway, so its not really needed there.

I'm rambling a lot, I know.  Some other random thoughts; why I am getting mild heartburn sometimes?  I never get heartburn!  Its almost not even heartburn; "pre heartburn"?  The only time I ever had it was during pregnancies.  I am not pregnant, so what gives?

Ok, enough rambling for now.  :P

If you DO want to make your own mayo:  http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

it was so worth it!  Yummy.  I had no powdered mustard and I left it out.  I swear, it tasted like hollandaise sauce.  :-)

Geminimik - here is my advice to you. Stop trying to be absolutely compliant with regards to bacon and sausage. I do not have the time to waste looking at every food item. I know....I know......its against the rules. I can almost hear the gasps thru the internet. I would be more worried about starving to death and getting frustrated because I couldn't find W30 compliant food. Buy bacon, buy sausage...eat it! Have it with a couple of eggs. The success for me came from removing as much of the bad stuff as I could which was considerable. I got rid of pancakes, and syrup, cereal, toast and jelly, etc.......the minimal amount of sugar in bacon was not going to be significant. I did not make my own mayo out of ground up pinecones, dirt, and rainbow dust. I just didn't eat any mayo. I used small amounts of ketchup or mustard. I wasn't perfect......but I was as strict as I could be while still being able to eat enough to NOT be hungry and to succeed. I didn't lose sleep over the fact that I couldn't find specific brands that met the W30 requirements. Don't beat yourself up. This is not supposed to be torture. This is supposed to be a HEALTHY change to your eating habits and a way to assess what was previously being pushed into your system. With that said, I applaud those who have the time, the means, and the will to create different condiments out of alternate sources. That also goes for those that are finding and buying the EXACT complaint foods. My intent is not to diminish this program at all, in fact, I speak highly of it daily. My intent is to continue to encourage those that need it, to offer the support until the results start to reveal themselves and people's motivation kicks into overdrive and then they are on their way. My intent is to ensure that those that cant be COMPLETELY compliant DO NOT defeat themselves when before they realize how close they are to their personal success! 

Dave

Start of day 5 for me.  I started out trying to track what I eat -- I mean just listing what I ate, not quantities or calories or anything.  I am not good at it.  This is one of the multiple reasons I could never make Weight Watchers work!  :-)

I'm going to try making ghee this afternoon.  Its been on my list all week of things to do but with work, kids and soccer games I have not had the time or energy.

I never have purchased coconut milk before.  I bought it in a can (after finding the brand suggested by some other people on here "Thai" I think?  it still has guar gum in it -- should I use it?  Why isn't there any 100% pure?).  I opened the can and it seemed solid which really confused me and then further down in the can there was liquid.  I've just never used it before so I had no idea that would be the consistency.  It was tasty -- but I've only had a couple of tablespoons of it so far.  I usually drink my coffee black anyway, so its not really needed there.

I'm rambling a lot, I know.  Some other random thoughts; why I am getting mild heartburn sometimes?  I never get heartburn!  Its almost not even heartburn; "pre heartburn"?  The only time I ever had it was during pregnancies.  I am not pregnant, so what gives?

Ok, enough rambling for now.  :P

I get what you mean about the coconut milk. Same thing happened to me with my first Whole30. I was so confused by the consistency of the milk, that I decided to suck it up and drink my coffee black.  Since then, I have used it for quite a few of my recipes and love it. I usually pour it into a coffee mug after opening the can and give it a good stir. 

Sorry to hear about your heartburn! That does not sound like fun. I saw an episode of Dr. Oz that recommended eating some of a Meyer Lemon (skin and flesh) before each meal to coat your stomach and prevent the heartburn. I know the thought of eating lemon doesn't sound appealing but the Meyer lemon is more of a cross between a lemon and tangerine. I tried it for myself and was actually surprised by the taste. Hope you feel better soon!

Archived