May 5th start

Kage

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi y'all,

I started May 5th as well. Reading all the posts and questions from others is adding so much fuel to my excitement! I have had a long journey with my health and weight loss, losing over 150 pounds over the last few years...I'm excited to have found Whole30 to take my health to the next level, and hopefully shed a few pounds in the process. I have learned so much over the last few years, and love that I am finally truly implementing these healthy habits. 

My morning coffee was my only fear, as I loved my creamer, however I do have to say - black coffee is actually pretty good. Adding coconut milk is just bonus! 

Good luck everyone!! 

Don't limit your challenges, challenge your limits!

Here I am.  This will be my third whole30.  I did one successfully in September 2013 and January 2014 and felt great.  I fall into terrible habits when I go off. 

My plan had been to start a whole30 on May 1 with my two ADHD kindergarteners and me.  Unfortunately, I went away over the weekend for work (I squeeze 32 hours of work as an emergency veterinarian into two nights, so I can be home with the kids the rest of the time), and despite all my prep work, my husband got overwhelmed and let the kids off road all weekend.  They were ricocheting off the ceiling when I got home.  Which unfortunately I permitted to send me into a tailspin of terribly destructive eating for the next few days.

But I'm lifting my head out of the depths of despair and starting over on a bit less-exciting, May 7.

Day 1: M1 chicken broth instead of my morning coffee; broccoli-asparagus-bacon soup; fried egg.

Tracy

Woke up this morning with a headache and felt like I had been hit by a bus. Good news! According to my day 3 Whole30 newsletter, this is normal.  As the day goes on, I'm feeling more myself, even managed to get a great wod in. It's funny, just a few days ago I would have told you that my diet was already pretty clean but the last few days have made me realize that I did ALOT of snacking. Mindless snacking! This is good, the program is really shedding some light onto why I haven't been able to lose weight and probably explains my lack of energy some days.  Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but I am craving foods that I didn't even ever eat, i.e., hoho's. lol! And why, I ask you Why???? are there so many food commercials on at night? Killing me! In spite of all of this, I have stuck to the program and have no plans to cheat!!!!!

Hope everyone is hanging in there! Looking forward to day 4 :) !

Tracy,

Good Job letting the weekend go. We have to do the best we can. We all have a lot of balls in the air. 

I agree with traway, I'm realizing I normally eat all the time, mostly in response to boredom, sadness, lonliness, hapiness or because the food looks good, lol.

Lunch is at 2:00, can't wait. Chicken salad with arugula, spinach, parsliey, cucumber, avocado and chicken and some "stinky soup" to ensure that I won't want to snack later.

May grill shrimp and scallops later and enjoy with asparagus and brussels sprouts.

warm tea is helping me too.

Had a cranky morning. Feeling better now. 

Chicken with olive tapenade and avocado for breakfast. 

Out with work colleagues for lunch, grilled chicken (more chicken oh well) over arugula and endive for lunch. 

Hope everyone is doing well!

Good morning! Day 4 here still in bed trying to get awake enough to drag myself out!!

Salad Dressing - I use vinegar (usually balsamic but you need to read lables yo find a compliant one) and extra virgin olive oil as a simple one or home made mayo (it is so worth the effort :) mixed with vinegar to thin it out a bit.

Ok better get up. Will check in again later :)

Woke up this morning with a headache and felt like I had been hit by a bus. Good news! According to my day 3 Whole30 newsletter, this is normal.  As the day goes on, I'm feeling more myself, even managed to get a great wod in. It's funny, just a few days ago I would have told you that my diet was already pretty clean but the last few days have made me realize that I did ALOT of snacking. Mindless snacking! This is good, the program is really shedding some light onto why I haven't been able to lose weight and probably explains my lack of energy some days.  Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but I am craving foods that I didn't even ever eat, i.e., hoho's. lol! And why, I ask you Why???? are there so many food commercials on at night? Killing me! In spite of all of this, I have stuck to the program and have no plans to cheat!!!!!

3rd day of whole30 and I definitely feel like a bit of a Bit*h. No patience with my kids or husband (lucky them;) I remember the first time I did this, day 3 was a tough one for me.

Made Nom nom paleo's cracklin chicken for dinner with roasted veggies and salad. If any of you haven't checked out nom nom paleo she has a great blog, recipe book, and app. Most of her recipes are whole30 compliant and really good!!

Day3 almost over!! Let's do this day 4

Day 3 almost over and I feel good.

I think I might have gotten the portions correct and I have a lot of energy which I normally do not have.

Hope it lasts.

I looked on Pinterest and found a lot of ideas..... Thank you for letting me know!

See you all tomorrow Day 4.

Day 3 was excellent for me!  Breakfast kept me satisfied until right before lunch.  I was actually able to finish my lunch today! But it made me nervous, just in case my 3pm hunger pain came, but 3 came and past without any hunger.  I wasn't hungry until 630 today, which is normally the time I would eat dinner, but I had to at the last minute watch my sister's children so I wasn't able to eat until 730ish.  I only had a dull headache around 645 and lasted until I completed dinner, so I believe it was only because I was hungry.

Y'all sound like you are doing great! I love reading through all of the messages, it is definitely keeping me motivated (I feel like I have to report to you all everyday, lol). 

@DonnaR -- thank you for the broccoli salad advice, I plan on experimenting this weekend for Mother's Day!

Does anyone have some simple salad dressing solutions?

Or tasty sides to add onto the meals that are easy to prepare?

Have a great day everyone!

Donna, I just purchased a few thing from tessemae's; I got them in the mail today.  I tried their Zesty Ranch and it was excellent, definitely added a whole new layer to my salad.  

-kaetee

Good Morning to everyone,

Day 4 here we come, was a little hard to get up, feeling a little tired maybe I had to much energy last night, did not sleep that well and I have a little headache that will hopefully go away after I eat. :wacko: 

How is everyone else feeling today?

I am really enjoying Pinterest, it has a lot of information on it..... thank you @AuburngalNC. ;)

Thank you to all for posting, it is really great to go through this journey together and all the added help and suggestions!

Makes you want to succeed! :lol:  

@Kage - Thanks for pointing me to this forum, what a great group of folks!

I started Sunday and am so glad the fatigue and lethargy of day 2 and 3 have passed! I thought it was morning sickness at first ;).

I don't necessarily believe that the whole30 is more expensive than the food shopping I normally do, but a well stocked kitchen (and thus, more trips to the grocery store) seems much more vital when you are going through meat and (perishable) fresh produce like we do on whole30! Not very many things I can keep in the pantry. 

I've adjusted to black coffee, am enjoying fried eggs with sweet potato hash for breakfasts, and am trying to cook ahead a little so I don't have to make all 3 meals from scratch each day. 

I didn't read the book before I started (gasp!) but have read pretty much all I could find online about whole30, and have subscribed to the emails- which I find immensely helpful, and honestly, I love getting good emails each morning and clicking the "I did it" button each night :)

@kaetee- I'm dying to try Tessamae's, let us know how they are!

As far as I can tell these buffalo chicken fingers are whole30 compliant, so I'm hoping to make them this weekend for a treat: 

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2014/03/30/crispy-buffalo-chicken-fingers/

Welp, my baby's awake, see you guys on here later ;).

Good morning!! Day 5 for me. Slept great and I woke up and the sun is a little brighter and the birds chirping less annoying...I guess that means I am over the detox slump! Had Nomnompaleo's Asian beef lettuce wraps with broccoli slaw last night and my 12 year old son couldn't get enough! It makes me feel so good that he is loving the change in meals for breakfast and dinner (he still takes his usual lunch). I'm enjoying deviled eggs and an apple for breakfast and while I haven't stepped on the scale or measured myself since day 1, I can tell that I am not as bloated and down a few pounds.

I struggled last night though when my favorite TV show came on and I started craving that bag of popcorn I usually eat. I wasn't hungry, but like others have said, it was part of my mindless snacking habit.

Make it a good one!

Geminimik - I do eat nuts....absolutely love cashews. Yesterday absolutely sucked! I have been restoring a 1966 Mercury and finally had it to where I could drive it in to work. Hopped in, fired it up and drove it about a mile to the end of my development . The phone rang and my wife (thru sobs) told me that our little Pug passed away. I turned around and went home. I found a wife and two sons (third is at college) home and crying. I took our dog of 12 years out back and buried him. I got back in the car and headed to work. Got to the end of the development and the car died and wouldn't start. Had to have my wife bring down the Jeep and tow me home. Got in the other car and headed for work. Stopped at McDonalds and picked up a breakfast biscuit which I had promised a co-worker. Even with everything going wrong, I kept my promise to pick up the breakfast and remained solid on my Whole 30 program. Life is full of excuses why we have to eat poorly, the hard part is making excuses why we should eat right! Hope everyone is having a good day and staying strong with their convictions.

Dave

Dave,

I'm so sorry to hear about your pug and your car. I remember when my boys were young the overwhelming trauma of losing one of our beloved pets.

Your resolve is amazing, very impressive. I will try to follow your strong resolve.

Miki

Day 4:

Good morning everyone! I went to bed with a headache and woke up with one as well.  It seems to be getting better since I had my breakfast. I'm getting more into a routine and feeling more comfortable with the ingredients and getting creative in the kitchen. I haven't had any food dreams like some others but according to my "Day 4 Whole30 Newsletter" it is normal to be experiencing them. 

Have a Bday party to go to on Saturday and I'm already coming up with my plan of attack to avoid the alcohol (21st bday celebration), app's, and sweets. I remembered I had purchased a box of Dave's Paleo Kits a while back and still have some left over. Perfect! They are great for emergency situations. As for the alcohol, I'm going to fill up a big bottle of sparkling water and add some lemon slices.

Just think, only a few more days and we'll have a week under our belt! 

@dcducks so sorry to hear about your pup :(

Good Morning 5/5's,

I had a good day yesterday. I think Dave is at a stronger mental point than I, so I gave away my nuts yesterday. The soup I made really filled me up. My pain signals are WAY down this morning and that is a wonderful thing.

I haven't not been following the when to eat and sit down to eat rules, so trying to reign them in. I have a lot of excuses for that, but I'm not going to beat myself up, rather just practice CANI "Constant and Never Ending Improvement".

I have a lunch meeting downtown. I don't know what they are serving nor how it will be made. I'm going to have a big breakfast and pray for the best.

I can't wait to have a weekend so I can make the mayo and start cooking some of those amazing dishes you are all talking about. The asian lettuce wraps sound OFF THE CHART.

It's nice to get more of our energy back, right!

Keep up the great work everyone, you're amazing.

Gem/MamaMiki

Traway,

Dave's Emergency kits? I'll look those up. The broccoli salad recipe, does anyone know where that is? I tried going back to find the link, but couldn't find it. Where do most of you get your recipes? I've been looking on line. Do you have cookbooks?

I need something a little more interesting.

Good job on the 21st bday party. It must be difficult. Mother's day will be that way with the champagne for me...as will my birthday (I think I'm after Dave by a few day and before Dave several years).

Okay, life is about to start. Everyone be strong today and enjoy every minute of this wonderful gift you are giving to yourself.

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!

Thanks all for kind words. I try to use everything to help myself and to motivate others. As I said before, excuses are soooooo easy to make. The hard part is doing what you are supposed to do.

Gem, good luck with the luncheon. I get called out on work lunches quite often and I have adapted very easily to just get a good salad and some ice water. Sometimes there is some kind of meat that works fine and long as it isnt breaded or on a bun. Im sure you will find something that fits the bill and do just fine. Have a great day everyone and keep up the good work.

Dave

Dave, sorry about your dog.

I had gluten yesterday!! I feel very sick today and woke up with a headache and a rash. Our boys celebrated champ game and was the last game after 5 years together. The coach decided to take everyone out for pizza, I ordered a spinach salad as it was the only one without pasta, when the food finally arrived at 9:45 I was starving. I ate the salad and noticed it had bread crumbs bottom of the salad.

I am not stopping, it took me a while to get back to doing this after the first one. I will keep going but will add 3 days to the end.

Started the day with coffee and 2 advils, I will attempt to down some eggs this am mixed with veggies and fruit.

Archived