Developing Skin Problems?? Worsening Athletic Performance? Day 20

Hi all,

I am on Day 20 of my first Whole30 and it was going well.  I've struggled with minor acne throughout my entire adult life (it was more than minor as a teen!).  Around Day 9, I noticed significant improvement and my skin was the clearest it's been in years!

But just 2 days ago or so, I started developing these itchy tiny clear blisters on two fingers.  A quick online search suggests eczema.  It looks like the very top picture in this article.  I can feel them developing on my forehead too (they are itchy!!).  I'm also developing (what I think is) a cold sore on my lip. 

WHAT IS HAPPENING?!  I'm familiar with acne, but this is entirely new!  Why would this be happening?  As far as I can tell, it could be triggered by stress or allergens.  I'm currently washing EVERYTHING in the house to see if that helps.  I can't have clusters of blisters on my forehead.

I'm also a runner (have been for almost 10 years now) and I totally tanked in a 5k this morning, despite fueling well as far as I could tell.

I'm getting really frustrated and want to quit.  There have been a lot of benefits reaped in the last 3 weeks, including reduced GI distress, less bloating, and the appearance of abs!  I want to keep that going.  Can someone please help?

• Moderators

Running performance sucks until you adapt to using fat as your primary fuel and not sugar/carbs. Some people adjust within the first two weeks, some take longer. You may take more than 20 days to become fully fat-adapted. 

Eating starchy veggies tends to help with performance and energy levels. Very active people might eat two sweet potatoes per day or equivalents of other veggies like butternut squash, beets, carrots, plantains, etc. 

Sometimes changing your diet can be stressful. Maybe that stress or some other stress is provoking skin issues? I don't know. 

What have you been eating over the last week?

Have you changed any body products? (shower gel, shampoo, lotion, hand wash, soap)

I don't think cold sores are food triggered, but I think they can be triggered by stress, if you're having any kind of allergic reaction that could be stressful.

Nightshades and some other food intolerances can be worse with heavy workouts.

The only new thing I've eaten lately is a bag of plaintain chips, so I guess those are out for a while.  Everything else is stuff that I've been eating for the last 3 weeks.  No new detergents/soaps/etc.

I'm also starting to think that it's not a cold sore, as it hasn't gotten any worse...just more dry, irritated skin.  Maybe it's stress?  Or an allergen?  The weather has changed here - up in the 70's for hte first time in months and the pollen count is super high.  I generally don't suffer from allergies - the occasional sneezes, but never anything that has required medication.  I've taken claritin for the last two days and the spread has slowed.  I'm going to try a Benadryl tonight and if that doesn't work, this probably requires a doc visit. :(

Thanks for the support guys!

Archived