AIP for me

Beets

So I'm gonna log my long-haul AIP journey here. I dropped off logging at the end of my w30 and I think that contributed to it being a 25+5 instead of a 30.

I'm gonna also track my beverages and supplements, etc. Right now I'm following AIP but still drinking some coffee and the occasional egg yolk when I manage to make mayo. (I'm under a mayo curse right now. I may also eliminate yolks completely for a bit bc I've noticed my ps getting better while I've been unable to make mayo--!?!? I've made it successfully a hundred times!)

(Still want to measure myself but I keep forgetting.)

M1: brisket, gingery cabbage, kraut, black coffee, FCLO, d3, slippery elm

M2: brisket, gingery cabbage

S: two mugs of amazing fresh broth, used a bit of ginger 😘

M3: level 4 pork chop (WF never has "level 4" pork: yippee), gingery cabbage, kombucha, delightful combo

My ps is finally getting smaller. Maybe it's my gut. Or maybe the psychological aspect? I'm going to buy some probiotics this week. Some SBOs. Totally immersed myself in some deep paleo reading this weekend, thanks to my AIP eating IRL friend.

Tomorrow I'm going to make some veg soup. I know it's not considered the best for w30 but it's an easy way to make sure I'm getting a wider variety of veggies.

Briefly considered wine tonight but figured it's not worth risking the small improvement I've seen in the ps.

Ps report: red areas getting smaller on arms, little bit on shins, torso relatively unchanged.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jut thinking that even though I've been off-roading a bit since Sat when I took my son to lunch, I have only had one vodka and soda, one glass of wine. When I ate out w my son I got an order of fries. I had aioli w my fries, teeny bite of choc mousse. Technically that should've been yolks only but I got a little bloated. Could've been fries or the dairy in the mousse.

I don't feel bad about reintros bc I'll be on AIP for awhile. I feel good that I haven't dived into the chocolate in our freezer. A good rule will be template eating at home, relaxed rules out. I hardly eat out so this should work.

Feeling motivated to stick it out long term.

• Moderators

Tomorrow I'm going to make some veg soup. I know it's not considered the best for w30 but it's an easy way to make sure I'm getting a wider variety of veggies.

Actually, we think veggie soup is a great way to increase your consumption of veggies.

Good plan, Beets!  I, too, am trying for mostly compliant at home and a bit relaxed away from home.  No sweets, though.  After feeling out of control last week, it's nice to come back home. :)

Clarification: The soup I had in mind is puréed--hence the comment about it not being ideal. It's a soup I used to make when I was quasi following Eat to Live. I could not purée it but I like being able to drink it.

Hilarious* bc I just looked up the original source of this recipe to find a cooking time (used to have it memorized) and saw tens of posts asking how many calories or points is in the soup. How happy am I that I never have to think about that again? (Especially bc the soup is only coconut milk, broth, broc, spinach, carrots, onions, garlic, ginger, cilantro.)

Good riddance to the sad time-sucking world of calorie calculations!

Feel good today. In my PMS week and what a difference between now and my last pre w30 PMS week, when I was literally tearing apart my freezer looking for one more square of chocolate.

Eating out stinks on AIP, but eating at home feels very free to me now. However I'm thinking I need to cut out coffee. At least limit to one cup a day. Last week I started getting an iced Americano mid-day. That combined with my aging dog catting around all night has destroyed my beautiful w30 sleep.

I also feel very revved up when I drink it, and I worry about getting accustomed to that mid day boost. It's almost like a manic feeling, with an unpleasant intense butterflies-in-stomach sensation.

Have been following zenhabits.com and the writer linked to a good piece about rewards foods and how we get addicted to them. This stuff was also covered in ISWF.

The zenhabits guy has a crazy diet (chugging olive oil and only eating seitan: BLERGH) but the idea is to take food rewards out if the equation. Interesting experiment.

*Not quite "hilarious," more like, "amazing" to think of the different relationship I have with food now vs the way I was when I saw all food in terms of points or numbers.

Yup! That's the one. ;)

I pretty much lived on that soup when I lost weight before getting pregnant w my daughter. (Notice I say "list weight" not "got healthy.") My husband calls it algae soup.

I sound harshly critical of people talking about cals. But back then I was one of the misinformed who entered every ingredient (weighed) into a cal calculator and weighed my cooked food, divided it and weighed each portion. I was doing mostly plant-based (Bittman's "vegan before six") eating combined w WW. Seems like total insanity now, but I still enjoy that soup!

Before I started this w30 my husband was commenting on how I lost weight back then without all these "crazy" restrictions. Clearly he wasn't aware that I had every meal planned--down to the tenth of a gram of cheese or frigging vegetable soup.

I have a pureed vegetable soup for breakfast every work day morning.  I also like that I can "drink" it.  I don't think pureed soup is the same idea as the smoothie in W30 world.  At least I'm not giving it up.   ;)

Thanks for stoping by SAra. During my first W30 a mod gave me the "eh" for the puréed veg soup. Sounded like it follows the letter but not the spirit of the law?

But I have two little kids and I'm always crazy in the morning. Drinking some veg soup w my breakfast is better than eating a sweet pot as my only veg.

• Moderators

Yup! That's the one. ;)

I pretty much lived on that soup when I lost weight before getting pregnant w my daughter. (Notice I say "list weight" not "got healthy.") My husband calls it algae soup.

I sound harshly critical of people talking about cals. But back then I was one of the misinformed who entered every ingredient (weighed) into a cal calculator and weighed my cooked food, divided it and weighed each portion. I was doing mostly plant-based (Bittman's "vegan before six") eating combined w WW. Seems like total insanity now, but I still enjoy that soup!

Before I started this w30 my husband was commenting on how I lost weight back then without all these "crazy" restrictions. Clearly he wasn't aware that I had every meal planned--down to the tenth of a gram of cheese or frigging vegetable soup.

I am with you 100% on all of this. Been there, done all of that. It never ceases to amaze me that the W30/9 "restrictions" are the most liberating set of practices I've encountered on my long suffering weight loss journey/saga.

And I call it "magic soup." Love the stuff!

Here's the link, Jen. http://blog.peertrainer.com/tip_of_the_day/2009/12/pureed-peertrainer-energy-soup-recipe.html (Wish I could hyperlink from phone on forum)

It is so crazy how much time I spent (and money--on a recipe program that calculated cals and macronutrients for recipes) on the weighing and the the fretting about going over my points. I did ultimately lose weight but I still felt anxious and tired--and hungry!!

The soup is great. I even like it in the heat of summer. The first comment is from me with my mods. I don't use mushrooms and I cook it all in one pot

I need to tell you guys how much I love canned mackerel. Super high in omega 3s, cheaper than eating wild salmon, less to overcome vs sardines. One of the kids in my daughter's co-op is half Japanese. His mom always packs rice balls--sushi rice, wild rice mix, mackerel, seasonings--as lunch or snack. They hold it with a piece of seaweed. It's the greatest snack. (Haven't tried it but I love how nutrient-packed and portable it is. I intend to retintro rice after my ps shows marked imrovement. Resistant starch benefits too.)

Anyway. This got me started on the mackerel. I get the Cole's brand. I'm obsessed it it. Mashed with some lemon and avocado? 😘😘ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜œðŸ˜œ

Laughed about grams of cheese as I remembered how I tried to cup 2 more grams of transparent 4% something and thought there is nothing wrong with wanting just "one more piece". Also I've noticed that I've lost my ability to tell +- 10 gramms how much something weights. 

My Dad smokes mackerel, oh God, so fatty and delicious. If I bring it to my office I might get fired though :D

Thanks for the soup, goes to my cooking list. 

Glad you are logging, conversations here are super enjoyable per usual. Fine bunch. 

Lol. Smoked mackerel sounds amazing. I did notice my breath was a little fishy when I went to get my daughter. Oh well.

M1: mackerel, avo, lemon, soup

M2: a bit of brisket, sweet pot

M3: meatcake, gingery cabbage

I snacked on some olives too. I was hemming and hawing about what to make for DH's birthday. I first thought cake but it got late and I didn't really feel like making a cake I can't eat. Sorry. But I'm tired and was having a panic attack all day (too few carbs I think) and I didn't trust myself.

Made an all-yolk version of an easy blender pot de creme (chocolate chips, yolks, vanilla, coffee). I thought i remembered the chips being soy free, but alas no. I realized this after making. Then I realized no one could eat so much chocolate or coffee before bed. Then my husband came home after an awful day at work and pulled out his computer.

Poor thing. We are saving the strip steaks for tomorrow night. I are a bit of the dessert and started itching. Gah! Soy lecithin, I hate you.

Lol. Smoked mackerel sounds amazing. I did notice my breathe was a little fishy when I went to get my daughter. Oh well.

M1: mackerel, avo, lemon, soup

M2: a bit of brisket, sweet pot

M3: meatcake, gingery cabbage

I snacked on some olives too. I was hemming and hawing about what to make for DH's birthday. I first thought cake but it got late and I didn't really feel like making a cake I can't eat. Sorry. But I'm tired and was having a panic attack all day (too few carbs I think) and I didn't trust myself.

Made an all-yolk version of an easy blender pot de creme (chocolate chips, yolks, vanilla, coffee). I thought i remembered the chips being soy free, but alas no. I realized this after making. Then I realized no one could eat so much chocolate or coffee before bed. Then my husband came home after an awful day at work and pulled out his computer.

Poor thing. We are saving the strip steaks for tomorrow night. I are a bit of the dessert and started itching. Gah! Soy lecithin, I hate you.

Sorry your husband had such a stressful day for his birthday.  Hopefully he'll be able to enjoy today.

I guess I'm lucky that my husband has almost no interest in sweets, so I don't have to worry about making him something I choose not to have.  I can pour him a glass of scotch, he'll be delighted and I have no interest.   ;)

Chocolate covered strawberries are super easy, if he would go for that sort of thing.

Sara, wish I'd thought of choc covered strawberries and a drink! The strWberries aren't his fave but he's more interested in the steak. My husband is into bourbon. Which I also like but can abstain from no problem. Annoyed I wasted the eggs for the mousse but I guess I can let my kids eat some of it. And then I'll have to run them around the block a few times before bed.

Mmmm  Chocolate covered strawberries sound wonderful!  Maybe I'll make some coconut butter covered strawberries for Mother's Day.  That's technically no sugar but still a treat.

Archived