AIP for me

Beets

• Moderators

You and your coconut butter, Jen! ;-)

Beets, you inspired my lunch today. I grated some ginger into my sautéed cabbage and thought of you. I hate soy lecithin on your behalf too. Maybe these nasty little reminders will keep us from uglier spills later on.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still kept eating the chocolate mousse. (Semi sweet chips + yolks + hot coffee, blended, really simple and amazing for anyone not restricting sugar, or chocolate, or coffee, or eggs. Someone not me.) I'd eat two bites, get a raging headache, put it back in the fridge, repeat three hours later.

Ugh. My skin was looking so much better yesterday and today it's a little more red. Gotta stop before I reverse my progress.

I'm not sure if the soy lecithin or the yolks are the problem but I'm also *bloated*. As much as I love my mayo I'm really thinking I'll stop yolks at least for a couple weeks. (Think that's the fifth time I've said that.) Maybe in a few weeks I'll be ok w yolks and my mayo curse will have lifted.

Yesterday I ate

M1: mackerel, lemon, avo, kraut, green tea

Supps: FCLO, D3, forgot the slippery elm

M2: meatcake, --? (my meals were off kilter. Made some soup to bring to school p/u but forgot to drink it)

M3: husband birthday dinner: strip steaks and a 1/4 glass of red wine, more gingery cabbage

I probably ate one serving of the mousse. It looks so pretty in my fridge in the vintage wine glasses. 😢😩😫

I was talking to my friend, the one who has mostly eliminated symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis with AIP. He said he drank coffee and are chocolate during his 18 mo otherwise strict AIP stint. But that once he ate a bowl of potatoes on a holiday and was laid out with excruciating pain afterwards. At that point he didn't know how brutal nightshades were for him.

Just interesting, the n=1 idea, how we are all different in terms of what we eat. Though yes! I will admit that I used his coffee and chocolate eating. To justify my mousse nibbling!

I am going to count on not eating any more of what I have, soy tainted that it is, and wait till my birthday to enjoy a soy free batch.

The other interesting thing is that he said he can now eat potato starch--he's super into the resistant starch idea, hot paleo topic these days apparently--because after being AIP for so long he's a lot more resilient when it comes to eating off plan.

Have to sink that into my head, that I can wait a few weeks or months to enjoy things like a chocolate mousse bc there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

It doesn't seem like the mousse is worth it if you get a headache...  Not that it would stop me. 

Bummer about the yolks.  Hopefully you determine that it's the soy so you can bring your mayo back!

I know. I hope so too. But now that I've muddied the waters w the soy issue I can't be sure of the yolks unless I eliminate them for at least a few weeks. Declaring here and now that I'm off yolks through May.

• Moderators

I support and yet do not envy you in your yolk-free (which is egg free, yes, since you've been off whites anyway?) plight. In addition to the soy, the coffee and sugar certainly could have caused a reaction as well. Rats. We all do need reminders all the time that we're unique snowflakes indeed, and that no one else's experience is our own. Though we learn from all of it!

Paleo hot topics make me giggle. You are a stronger woman than I, Beets. One of the many things that has saved my sanity this time around is avoiding new information. Stupid as that may sound, I nearly drove myself completely batshit crazy trying to implement all the latest advice to troubleshoot all my problems. Now I'm just happy to stay straight up w30 compliant.

That's not to say you should follow my lead, though. (That would be extremely hypocritical given my first paragraph!) You're on your own treasure hunt and doing quite nicely with it if I do say so!

Funny M bc I have mostly avoided reading more. I mean, I've re-read what I already knew for reminders and support (paleo mom) but haven't ventured much into new waters.

Then a conversation w my friend got me going on the resistant starch. Mostly bc he was really enthusiastic about it's effect on his symptoms. So then I spent half of the weekend reading blog posts by borderline crazy people. Went down that rabbit hole, I did.

This led me to accusations of misogyny, these paleo machismos calling women who criticize them c***s. The men accusing those women--in the classic anti feminist vein!!--of being ugly jealous women who hate sexy ladeez.

Really disgusting depressing stuff. Ugh. Robb Wolf is a pig. 1950s chauvinist pig. Arrogant and not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

Interesting stuff. But depressing dialog.

And that temporarily cured me of the rabbit hole. I'll stick with Paleo Mom and Chris Kessler. And the zenhabits blog, which I love.

So after mentioning the chocolate covered strawberries here, my son and I ended up making some last night to take to friends' house tonight.  Of course, with my no sweets challenge, I won't be eating any.  I threw some in non-chocolate covered for me.

Dealing with AIP makes things difficult and I think you are managing through it gracefully.

ETA: I'm making your soup today!  I need a change up.

Hope you enjoy the soup, Sara. It's easy to make and drink and fills you up. But yet I can drink it in the summer.

I DID successfully stop eating the mousse. But I had that chocolate taste in my brain when I saw a soy-free coconut milk chocolate bar in the little food boutique where I buy my smoked salt. It was delightful.

I ate some of it on the way home. Thanks to the "don't scratch the itch" post I posted on Jen's log and something the ever brilliant Lady M wrote the other day about needing something to calm herself after dinner and before bed (and also just mindfulness about when and why I turn to sugar), I realized I use chocolate in the car on the way home from foodshopping to heighten the freedom I feel driving around without my kids. :)

More simply, it's a reward. A reward I can change. I can meditate on how it feels to be alone.

My skin still seems a little better but it's still bad and all over. I was ok being patient and taking my time but today it was warm and I really wanted to wear a short sleeved shirt. I'm doing a strict five days of AIP this week, no chocolate and no sugar.

Yesterday we had a celebration for my sister, who graduated from nursing school. It was a really nice restaurant with nice-sounding ingredients. But like a lot of places, there was very little by way of simple food. Short rib lollipop. Sounds like something I could eat. But they were breaded! It was awkward to sit there and turn down all the food while everyone discussed my diet, weight loss, psoriasis, etc. I survived.

I had two nice glasses of red wine, some ham, and a strip steak. I also got the fries fries that came w the steak instead of asking for a plain salad. They may have been coated in something suspect. Aside from itching psoriasis I also have a couple tiny little hive-like bumps, super itchy, that appear when I eat something that bugs me. There was a bit of Parmesan cheese on the fries. It could have been that, too.

But now I have too many confounding factors! Time for a strict clean up.

I have an 8 lb pork shoulder from the farmer's market in my slow cooker: nom nom paleo's kahlua pork. Happy Mother's Day present to myself! Been craving pork, lime and avocado. Mmmmmmmm.

My son and I hung out in this little cherry blossom grotto near the farmers market today. It was magical! Kids were climbing trees and then my son said, look mom! Even the grown ups are in the trees! The light was magic. And then we got a tropical monsoon.

My eating was jacked today. I was all disorganized this am and picked at things like olives (and more of that local coconut milk chocolate!).

Snack: olives, iced Americano

M1: (2pm) brisket n cabbage and an awesome beet/ginger sauerkraut

M3: algae soup, sweet pot w coconut butter (got myself some CB so I can try my sweet pots w/out ghee! Jen style: good stuff!)

After a couple of off-ready days I'm craving clean AIP simplicity.

Good luck with AIP simplicity!

Sounds like a great day on Saturday, that's how I felt about yesterday, it was just a lovely day.

Love the soup!  I've been doing something similar, but really just dumping a ton of veg in water and then blending it.  It was definitely missing some oomph.  This soup has the oomph I was missing.  Yay!

AIP friendship is amazing. Logs are good, but a real person who speaks same secret language is a big deal. 

Paralysis by analysis is an awful thing. What I really dislike is that ever since the "paleo thing" started to trend, every person who can throw a meal in crockpot is a chef, every person is a nutritional expert and a coach. Can't really blame them for using the opportunity to capitalize of course, but sticking to one source that resonates with you seems the most sane.

Cherry trees started to bloom here too. Breathtaking.

How's AIP going? Hopefully way better than mine :unsure:  

My clean AIP week  is going great! I feel really good and I am seeing some changes in my ps. I'm attributing it mostly to my day in the Sun on Mother's Day. My husband gave me a kindle Paperwhite and told me to lose myself for a few hours. Perfect present! I seriously love this thing. I have used an older Kindle and an iPad for e-reading but this thing is amazing. It really looks like paper, it's featherlight, and I think it's the beginning of me reading a whole bunch of really dense texts.  ^_^

I'm reading Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian now (brutal, so so brutal but amazing language) and have Bolano's 2666 in the queue. (Picked that one up from someone's stoop, hard copy, and was speeding along at the rate of 2 pages per week. 

The weather was glorious and I felt like a real human being after a few hours alone. 

AIP friendship is amazing. Logs are good, but a real person who speaks same secret language is a big deal. 

How's AIP going? Hopefully way better than mine :unsure:  

This is so true. My friend and I were chatting today on the playground and another friend came over and was like, what were you guys talking about?? And my friend was like, "auto immune diseases and hormonal changes." LOL. Sounds like just the convo you want to jump in on, right? Plus my friend speaks the language of biology and can get pretty deep in the nomenclature. I was originally a bio major so I follow, mostly, with no problem. But it's denser playground conversation vs. poop and temper tantrums.  

Yesterday I ate

-meatcake, sweet pot w CB (Jen, I'm super into this combo!!)

-pork, pork, the amazing kahlua pork I gave myself for Mother's Day over salad w avo, lime, OO --mm have been craving this!

-more meat cake with more sweet pot w more CB

Funny bc I have brisket and the pork but I keep wanting to eat more meat cake and sweet pot. I'm sure I'll get sick of it but it's like my body is driving me back towards the simple stuff. 

Feel great. I have lost 14 lbs since April 1. Not bad, right? Still haven't measured myself but I fit into my high-waisted jeans I couldn't wear last year w/out muffin top after being on w30-ish eating for a few months. This ballet-style workout thingamabob is really shaping my waist. I super love my waist right now. Last time I was at this weight (before getting pregnant w #2) my waist kind of morphed into a straight line but I have a defined waist right now and my booty is looking not bad. If I do say so myself! 

Yeah, the kahlua pork, mmm. Had it tonight with sautéed red onions, avo/lime/OO/salt dressing over salad greens. Yummers!

-meatcake, sweet pot, CB

-pork (cold!), veg soup

-pork as above

Delicious. AIP eating at its best!

How did I totally miss this thread? I've been in my own little world I guess. I admit I've just kind of skimmed through at the moment but wanted to comment so I don't lose it again. ;)

I also see nothing wrong with a pureed vegetable soup. I would never put that in the same category as a smoothie. It is the only way I get bone broth as I can't stomach drinking it straight.

Meatcake is meatloaf like?  Kalua pork sounds awesome.  We are getting a pig in a few weeks, so pork ideas are very welcome.

Congrats on feeling good about your shape and the weight loss.  14 pounds in a month and a half is Wow!

I've just started reading on my tablet.  I find it harder to "get lost" in the book then in a traditional book.  I'm hoping that it just takes a bit of time to get used to.  I do like that my phone and tablet sync, so if I get stuck waiting at a doctor's office or something, I have something to read right at hand.

Glad you got a few hours to yourself, so refreshing!

I LOVE that you're feeling great!  Keep up what's working.

I read on my kindle when I travel.  It's so much easier than lugging a stack of books.  But, otherwise, I prefer a regular book, too. 

• Moderators

Yay Hubs! I'm going to check out that paperwhite thingy. I have an old nook and tend to use the kindle app on my ipad but it's too heavy for real reading and useless at the beach. I love an actual book best but for some things (travel of any distance, for example) a reading machine is truly wonderful. I agree, McCarthy is brutal but beautiful. And Bolano is on my list, too!!

I'm a kindle user/fan as well. For most applications I actually prefer it to a real book because holding a real book is harder on my wrists and small hands. Plus the kindle doesn't hurt as much when I fall asleep reading and drop it on my face.  :rolleyes: The exception is for cook books. These must be print if I can get them. I do like using my kindle fire for online recipes in the kitchen but a real book will always win for me in the cooking department.

• Moderators

My first copies of ISWF and Well Fed were kindle versions. I've since purchased hard copies of them both. I agree with you, Bethany, about cookbooks, though I've been so happy to have the ones on my ipad for when I've traveled and had the opportunity to cook, including the NomNom app. I've turned on quite a few folks to W30/paleo by being in their houses and cooking for them.

My first copies of ISWF and Well Fed were kindle versions. I've since purchased hard copies of them both. I agree with you, Bethany, about cookbooks, though I've been so happy to have the ones on my ipad for when I've traveled and had the opportunity to cook, including the NomNom app. I've turned on quite a few folks to W30/paleo by being in their houses and cooking for them.

I usually just turn to what I've pinned or do a little searching when I travel. My mom was so concerned about feeding me Paleo food when I was there at Thanksgiving last year that she did a lot of googling even before I got there and did pretty well. The only real miss was a meal that was plain chicken breasts and veggies but I fixed it by showing her how to make mayo (which I luckily can do with no recipe now) and now she is making her own mayo! Progress. ;)

Hooray for feeling good about your shape! And 14 lbs in six(?) weeks is crazy-good. You're making me want to up my food-and-ballet game, Beets.

Clearly, I need to start by making this kalua pork everyone's raving about.

Archived