AIP for me

Beets

Yeah, I often give the kids (and me) veggies before dinner. I agree that it's a great strategy. Only downfall right now is they aren't eating anything but bell peppers and carrots. Carrots are fine but peppers are not.

A few weeks ago I got two batches of broc (husband shopping) that were full of bugs. Ever since I can't bring myself to eat steamed broc but I need to get over it. I bought some chard and let it rot in my fridge. I am just in a rut and need to bust myself out!

The starchy veg thing for me is necessary. Two days w/out and I will be a crying panicking mess. I eat salad greens usually once a day but I need more of everything else.

I should go back to my Fuhrman. Good point, M. He's not wrong about everything! (Just some things.)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting a CSA and shopping at the farmer's market have cured me from caring about bugs or dirt on my veggies.  I just wash them off.  And if we eat a few, so be it.  They're probably good for us. LOL 

Get out of your rut.  Letting chard rot is a crime in my book!  :) 

Haha. A few bugs don't usually bother me but this was like as many bugs as there are seed heads on tr broccoli top. There were colonies of bugs in there!

I agree about the chard. I still feel bad. 😢

I went into Manhattan last night to see a solo show by my photography teacher. She is really amazing. When she first started taking self-portraits she was obese, and her work deals with that in an unflinching way. Her photos are also beautiful.

The gallery was packed and very warm. There were lots of young art types in there. Some with old men. Hmm. Anyway. It was great to see her work in person. And to meet her. (My class is online.) I felt old-er but not panicked or painfully frumpy like I did when I went to another Art show about a year ago on the same block of Chelsea galleries. Last year I felt like a troll crawled out from her underground lair. Last night I felt not out of place. Progress.

Plus a seemingly 12 year old boy hit on me in the street after I left. Ha! He was prob in his early 20s. He was making all kinds of jokes about my offensively huge SUV of an umbrella and I thought he was maybe disturbed or high and then he asked for my number. I said no and when he asked why I said because I never leave my house. Sort of true.

I met my husband minutes later and we went to a pretty decent wine bar. I got a cocktail, some amalgam of fancy "rhum," fruit juice, some fancy cinnamony thick artisanal sugar cane product. (Bartender let me taste it on its own.) Hit the spot! Then I had a beet salad with fresh ricotta and some seasoned oil: heaven. Glass of red wine.

It was my first dairy since April 1. No effect. Not right away, anyway.

The booze however did affect me and when I got home I hit the not soy-free milk chocolate in the freezer. And the blackberry CM honey ice cream. Unwise.

I woke up feeling hungover (from what? who would know?) and *ate some milk chocolate.* This is not good. Old bad habits!!

Must have a super clean NS week. The chocolate is getting out of hand. The meal was a treat, special, worth it. The milk chocolate was not.

Sounds like you had a lovely evening up until that darn chocolate. The beet salad sounds devine! Question - why do you have not soy-free milk chocolate in your freezer? Is it something worth keeping around?

Funny about the kid. Yesterday I was driving and some guy that looking about 16 was hanging out the window of the car next to me given me the "how you doing" look. Ewww...creepy.

• Moderators

I can envision your telling of your night as a short story. Speaking of storytelling, thanks for linking to Jen's work. Gorgeous, inspiring stuff.

Didn't you have a post-manhattan outing meltdown last year? Am I recalling that correctly? Your night sound really lovely until the chocolate. I love how you can see what a different place you're in from last year.

Bethany asks such good tough love questions. I'm with her: why not keep a stock of some better-for-you chocolate around?

The milk choc is my husband's. :) At least I didn't devour his maple bacon milk chocolate. That stuff is amazing.

Mine is only avail at certain stores. The coconut milk one also costs $8. But yeah, keeping some would be better than eating his.

Took the kids out for dinner last night. Got my usual grassed beef burger and salad. Probably questionable oil but otherwise this plain. Had some rose. My husband was at the driving range with my BFF SAHD friend. They came over and drank a bunch of bourbon. I had some, not as much as them. I really only had a little but it was enough to make me tired. We also stayed up till midnight. Wicked late for me! 

This morning I wanted to dive into the chocolate (I found some soy-free in a zip lock of chocolate I created at the beginning of my w30) or ice cream. But instead I mashed up a can of sardines with lemon and made a plate of sautéed cabbage. I also made a pot of rice. My AIP friend is really into the rice and says it's made a big difference with his inflammation. (The idea is that the good bacteria needs something to eat in the gut, and what it needs to eat is resistant starch. RS is abundant in white potatoes, which I'm not eating. It's also in white rice, especially cooked and cooled rice.) 

He was here yesterday for a playdate with our kids and was telling me how eating the rice seems to have helped his gut to the point where, if he does eat something that would normally bother him--like nightshades--he won't be bothered unless he eats them a couple days in a row. This is good. 

I am going on a mini w5 this week to clean myself out. Just the weekdays. My skin is getting itchy. But I'm going to this BBQ today and I am not going to stress about it. I wanted to make soup and brown meat yesterday but I didn't get to it. Tonight, brown meat and soup tomorrow. Set myself up for the week. 

I'm buying a pickl-it right now and I'm going to start making fermented stuff. I'm going through a jar of sauerkraut a week. 

• Moderators

Great choices, Beets! I think trying out rice makes good sense, too, and I also like your compliant during the week framework. Eager to learn how all of this affects your ps. Loving your IRL AIP mixed gender bromance (can we coin a new term here?) more and more!

My psoriais is looking better!

Went to the BBQ yesterday. In the rain. Saw my parents' house, still destroyed as they negotiate $ issues with the bank and try to figure out how to pay for the raising of the house. Lots of houses being raised onto pilings. One section is just empty beach, all the houses still gone.

I ate some kind of spicy sausage, delicious and definitely not compliant (guessing nightshade slices, sugar, god knows what kinds of fillers and binders), grilled chicken in some kind of processed marinade, cole slaw with some kind of prefab dressing.

I was tempted by the vast array of baked goods and one of my cousins is an amazing baker. (My aunt was the long time food writer for a fairly large paper so she generally has a nice food spread.) but I didn't succumb.

I'm a little bloated but nothing major.

Today I'm moving plants for my son's school. Hmm. At least I'll be outside working with dirt and plants. I'll leave it there.

Seriously strict week this week, full-on AIP plus w30, but with white rice because maybe the resistant starch thing plus the probiotics is helping.

I think trying out the white rice is a good idea.  I'm having oats and white rice on occasion, so far no negatives (well one, but I won't sully your log with it ;) ).

Sounds like a good weekend.  Good luck with your compliant work week!

I'm doing a w5. Keep wanting to dive into the soy-free chocolate in my freezer but I'm not going to. Just five days. I can do it.

I'm wondering if the rice is having the same effect on me?

I'm feeling very sluggish. (As is my digestion.) Maybe the suddenly warm weather. Probably the junk I ate last week isn't helping.

Great job not getting into the sweets at the BBQ!  It must be hard to see your parent's house like that.  I hope they can figure everything out soon.  You can do anything for 5 days. 

I picked the wrong week for quitting chocolate.

Daughter's coop is here (6 2-3 yr olds, a teacher) this week. Helped K class this afternoon. Stayed up too late straightening up and then ordering plants for the garden. Dog pacing around all night. Felt like I got 45 mins of sleep. Yadda yadda excuses excuses.

Came home from playground (sprinklers were on!) and grabbed some of that dang soy-free chocolate. I waffled for about 45 seconds and then ate it.

I look at Lady M and Jen with their w86 and NS? and feel like a wimp/moral failure. Not quite that dramatic. But it's there.

Afterwards I had an urge to crack into some white wine but resisted.

I didn't eat strong template meals today. Was running around but I need to make that a priority. I really liked how I felt (and looked--had been feeling a little puffy) this am after a day of no sugar and no booze yesterday.

And I'm taking this silly $49 probiotic but still feeding my candida w sugar in chocolate?! Makes no sense.

M1: meatcake, cabbage

M2: salmon, chuck roast, cantaloupe, banana, strawberries, NO VEG

M3: chocolate, strawberries, kombucha ACK

M4: ____, salad greens, avo/lemon dressing

Two priorities this week:

1. Sleep

2. No sugar

Also

3. Exercise.

And

4. Template meals that I record here.

--

Edit

M4: wild salmon, chive/anchovy mayo*, broccoli

Also made magic soup. (Love LM's name much more than my "algae soup."

*Yes I made mayo! It got into the 80s today and my CO was like water. I went for it and it came together. And it's delightful. No side effects so far.

Also, last, I'm off the rice for now. I was *really* enjoying my little meal of sardines, rice and sautéed cabbage but unless I portion it out and then hide it the rice is FWOB for me. And has bad effects on my digestion. S-L-O-W.

Also, last, I'm off the rice for now. I was *really* enjoying my little meal of sardines, rice and sautéed cabbage but unless I portion it out and then hide it the rice is FWOB for me. And has bad effects on my digestion. S-L-O-W.

I have the same problem with rice. Even when I portioned it out and froze it if I was in the right mood I would just keep defrosting and eating more. 

• Moderators

Magic soup def sounds more appetizing than algae soup!

NOT a moral failure or a wimp. It's no joke that without the strictness of W30 this is a challenge. I mean, W30 is challenging too. Maybe there's something to Jen's approach: just pick one thing to focus on for the next 30 days. My tendency is to aim so high and try to accomplish so much all at once that I'm set up for failure. Might be nice to set oneself up for success.  I say you're a success for not getting into the wine!

Bummer about the rice. I guess we can't even compare ourselves to IRL buddies!

I agree with M - not a failure.  You know how many times I've struggled.  It's weird how sometimes it just clicks and you get into the right mindset.  Eventually, something will toss me off my bike into the ditch (i.e. Easter candy) and then it is SO HARD to start back up.  We just keep trying and hoping that the falling off the bike episodes get farther apart.  And, waffling for 45 minutes means you let it get into your head.  Once I start arguing with myself, I always lose.  It's life.  Not a moral failure.  We keep trying.  That's huge!

I agree with Jen, once I begin the internal debate, to some extent the battle is lost.  However, the war will be won!   ;)     And as Jen said, this is not a moral failure.

I hope your day is filled with some good template based food.  Maybe the rice was really setting you off.  I believe you can do resistant starch without rice, something to contemplate - just get the powder.

I also noticed some slowness, might be due to the oatmeal I was trying to add in to stop my low-carbness.

Thanks guys. After I wrote what I wrote I saw an old post Physibeth wrote somewhere--saying how she used food to rebel and once she took the morality out of the equation that was no longer an option.

Very true! No more old unhelpful talk about "good" and "bad" food choices. Well good is ok but moral judgements need to go.

And yes I need to focus on one thing at a time.

Sara you are right about the RS. I bought some green banana flour a few weeks ago in the midst of my RS reading but hadn't use it yet. This am I mixed it in some sparkling water and it wasn't terrible.

I feel 8,000X better today after one day without rice.

M1: meatcake, cabbage, carrots, mayo

M2: chuck roast, cabbage, kraut

S: magic soup, nibbles of chuck roast--can't leave that stuff in reach. This particular piece might even be tastier than brisket, like a meld of brisket and shirt rib.

M4; not sure yet but prob more salmon with either broc or salad, kombucha and seltzer

Maybe the probiotics are kicking in (my AIP IRL friend says they make him feel more calm when they are working), maybe it's the magic powers of salmon, egg yolks in the mayo or a sense of rice but I'm feeling calmer today--despite a major financial freak out.

Did a full hour of exercise. That helps too.

Archived