Ravenous appetites

AllyB

In another thread a few moms mentioned their kids having big appetites and 'eating till they make themselves sick.'  My daughter can be that way sometimes...actually more than I would like.  She is not thin and rarely misses a meal.  I am concerned when she eats a good amount of food (enough to make an adult satisfied) and then says she is still 'starving'.  She is almost 9.

When she claims she is starving, I offer an apple.  Sometimse she says she wants something carby (like a tortilla) and sometimes she takes the apple and that seems to fix things.  However, I'm concerned as she gets older and I'm not there for the 'apple test' is she just going to keep eating?  How do I get her to tell the difference between true hunger, boredom and cravings?

Of course, it seems that the 'starving' symptoms occur after a meal that has grains in it (usually corn tortillas for tacos).  We try to limit how often she eats tacos.  But I don't want to create food issues by being too restrictive.

Hi, Ally. I think if she is passing the "apple test," then she is hungry -- which makes sense when she is eating grains (tortillas). You don't get full with a grain-heavy diet the way you do with a protein-and-fat-centered diet -- which is why you can gobble up endless pizzas, or get to the bottom of an enormous tub of popcorn at a movie, or why after a huge Chinese meal heavy with rice and noodles you're hungry again in a couple of hours. The satiety signals just aren't there. So I think you're right to worry that she will eat the way she has been eating when she grows up -- because it's kind of the way she is being trained to eat.

Of course, it seems that the 'starving' symptoms occur after a meal that has grains in it (usually corn tortillas for tacos).  We try to limit how often she eats tacos.  But I don't want to create food issues by being too restrictive.

I realize everyone's family is different...  But I've had my three boys living the Paleo lifestyle for about 1.5 years, and I don't think we have "food issues".  We started out with the book Eat Like a Dinosaur and I told them all we were going to try this out for awhile and see how it makes us feel.  We all felt GOOD.  So we have stuck with it.

In my world, an apple IS "something carby".  We don't keep things like corn tortillas in the house, so they are not part of our regular diet.  You asked, "How do I get her to tell the difference between true hunger, boredom and cravings?" -- I think the same rule should apply to kids as it does to adults -- if you feel that she really, truly, should be FULL, then offer protein and veggies.  In the book and/or maybe in the Whole 30 emails, they talk about the "fish & broccoli" test.  If she is truly hungry, she will take a hard-boiled egg or some nuts, maybe some baby carrots.  I do this with my kids all the time, and they "get it".  They don't hate me, we don't have issues over it, it's just the way it is.

My daughter has been claiming she's hungry before bed every night in hopes of a snack of fruit or nuts. I started offering her chicken and except for once she's turned it down every time. One time she sat there at the table in her pjs chowing down on chicken.

I agree with the protein/vegetable test (no way the fish or broccoli test will ever fly.)  My daughter could eat fruit all day if I let her.  My kids beg for food all day, every day.  They want carbs.  But I remind myself how I felt when I was eating a high carb diet - carb, carb, carb would trigger my binge eating.  When I took a step back and looked what I was doing, I would make myself eat a compliant meal instead.  It would stop the destructive eating.

So I am trying that stance with my kids.  They do get to have treats.  But if they continue to be hungry, then protein at least.  Veggies are still more difficult for me to get in them.  My son will eat most things pureed but will not chew a vegetable for the life of him.  My daughter is better about that because she loves tomatoes. 

• 8 months later...

I agree with the offer of protein and veggies. I always try to keep a dozen hard boiled eggs on hand and my daughter snacks on them if she's hungry. 

Also remember that you control what food is in the house. I'd rather see you clean out all of the tortillas and other grains so they're not even options prior to talking to your daughter about overeating. Try fixing the foods in your cupboard first if you can (this will also help you stay compliant) and see if it makes a difference. I would leave the "you're overeating" conversation as an absolute last resort as kids, especially girls, can take this very personally and this can lead to disordered eating. Give her healthy grain free choices and don't budge. 

Archived