A sport's mom's whole 30

kellydawne

Just a little intro, this is my 3rd whole 30 in 3 years.  I haven't "officially" started yet because I have about half a pint of really nice organic pastured heavy cream in my fridge and I'm putting a smidge in my coffee until its gone.  I did do a proper dairy re-introduction last year with no problems.  So, at the moment I'm eating whole 30 except the cream and will do a proper whole 30 once its gone.

I know there are a lot of parents out there with kids and activities where even with planning you end up with limited choices so I thought it might be good to have a place for that.  You know days when schedules and/or locations change at the last minute and you don't necessarily have time to pack a cooler or you oversleep and barely make it out the door with a to go cup of coffee for that early am departure with a 3 hour drive and a car full of kids and you have to do the best you can with what you have. 

So, I'll start with my yesterday.  We met at 7am for a carpool to a pool (water polo player) for a tournament.  The games were fairly close to home (only a 20 minute drive) and I had glanced at the schedule and THOUGHT I would have time to run home between games, that of course didn't happen.  So, with the tournament running half an hour behind, the boys played their first game, I looked for a grocery store to get food in my hungry 16 y/o.  I could only find an ethnic market, he got a yummy burrito and water.  I didn't think to grab 2 waters and there was nothing that worked for me.  That's okay, I wasn't actually hungry yet.  They had their 2nd game and the coach that yells at them to eat healthy left to go coach younger kids somewhere else.  At that point, one of the moms brought doritos locos tacos for them.  They didn't have time to eat them between games, but after they were happy they were there.  We ended up at McDonald's after the third game of the day because they were starving and it was quick calories to fill hungry teenage boy tummies after spending hours in a swimming pool. 

So, my yesterday:

B-Coffee w/ heavy cream (this will stay until its gone, which means I haven't officially started my whole 30, everything else is compliant)

L-2 McDonalds hamburger patties plain and unsweetened iced tea.  I was actually just really thirsty and only a little hungry.  I just didn't feel like a salad without dressing and there was a huge line, so this was easy.  Not the best choice, but sometimes that's okay.

D-chicken waldorf salad:  home made mayo, an apple, celery, and chicken breast (I forgot to grab walnuts at the grocery store and that would have made it better, but that's okay)

there was a lot of water after I got home. 

.  You know days when schedules and/or locations change at the last minute and you don't necessarily have time to pack a cooler or you oversleep and barely make it out the door with a to go cup of coffee for that early am departure with a 3 hour drive and a car full of kids and you have to do the best you can with what you have. 

Yep, I know those days!  Good luck on your 3rd W30 and it will be interesting to hear how you deal with these challenges! I may get some tips. :)

Thanks Pjena!  I know this whole 30 won't look like the other two that were purposely done during a slow time for the kids.  I don't/have never restricted my kids food choices and my husband mostly eats the way I do, but not entirely so that makes it a challenge too.  Its also not that different than the way we normally eat, the only things to go are my cream, cheeses, wine, chocolate, and some occasional artificial sweeteners and treat type things.  Along with being a little pickier about ingredient lists.  (I have several teas in the cabinet that have soy lecithin so they are off limits for the time being of course) 

I think this sort of lifestyle is intimidating for people with crazy days that happen on a regular basis and its nice to see that it can be done and its okay to make the best of what you have sometimes.

So, for today, the plan is:

B-coffee w/ cream (until the cream is gone when my w30 will officially begin)

L-chicken waldorf salad, no nuts, because I forgot them again, coconut macaroon tea

D-onion mustard pork medallions are in the crock pot now, I'll have them over steamed broccoli, the kiddo (the other one is in college and will be home in two weeks) will come in from swim practice and scarf down one or two and then head back out for water polo practice and after that he'll sit down to a full meal & I'll put his pork medallions and sauce on top of mashed potatoes.  It's hard to get enough calories in them when they are spending 4-6 hours in the pool in a day for practices/conditioning and the crock pot is a huge help to have something to eat now and later!

So, while I still haven't officially started my w30 since I still have a little grass fed, organic heavy cream in the fridge, I'm trying to keep the rest of my day compliant.  I actually managed to have breakfast this morning which is frequently a challenge because I'm rarely hungry in the mornings & have a hard time forcing it.  I had planned to eat the leftover pork medallions for lunch, but the teenage boy got there first, so...  I need to remember to keep easy back up foods since that happens very frequently & will happen more often when his big brother comes home from the opposite coast for the summer.

Here is my food/plan for today

B-coffee w/cream (I haven't officially started yet) with eggs scrambled with red salsa & Mexican spices

L-change of plans, I ended up with a green salad topped with deli meat, walnuts, evoo, & salt/pepper

D-I'm planning to make an Asian ground beef/cabbage dish that I will modify to make compliant & use up some other things in the fridge.  I have a full jar of sesame tahini so I'll use that instead of peanut butter. 

I know you're not on a Whole30 yet. When you are ready to start your Whole30, check your deli meat. It's tricky to get compliant deli meat: it frequently contains gluten, carrageenan or sweetener of some sort.

Thanks Chris, I'm working my way through a few less than w30 compliant ingredients in the fridge.  The ham was gf, but from a local market & could have added sugar or other things.  It was there for the teenager that ate my lunch & I didn't ask as if I had bought it for me on a w30.  I know I need a better back up plan because that happens a lot.  This w30 will have a lot more challenges from the kids than the last 2 I did successfully because of their schedule at this time of year, but I'm looking forward to pushing through the challenges & its much slower now than in the summer & fall.  I gave up after 2 weeks last September because of travel & a crazy schedule.

We hit the ground running this morning, but no one was crazy about last night's dinner so I have lunch leftovers for a few days.  I had a morning (breakfast) meeting but there wasn't anything decent so I just had a glass of tea.  The teenager is in & out this afternoon, here for lunch, then swim practice with a few minutes in between before water polo.  He just requested buffalo ranch chicken meatballs for snack/dinner so I need to get to the store & get those going & in the crackpot to stay warm.

B-coffee w/ a little cinnamon sprinkled in, then iced tea later

L-left over Asian cabbage & beef w/sesame chili sauce.  (modified to be compliant)

Dl-will be buffalo chicken ranch meatballs & probably a salad

Archived