Resisting wine at home

Hello,

I keep failing at the Whole 30 primarily because I give in to having a couple of glasses of wine on the weekends. My husband still drinks wine, and I end up pouring myself some when he has some. W both eat according to the diet, but the no wine part is a big challenge for me. Does anyone have any tips on resisting wine when it is right in front of you? Does anyone have any suggested alternatives? Thank you so much.

Jenny

I find that I want a drink when I come home and am hungry.  I think the sugars in the alcohol help keep me going (until it doesn't.)  So to combat that craving, I try to eat dinner as soon as I can when I get home after work.  It don't crave any alcohol when my tummy is full and happy.

I consider alcohol to be just like any other 'sugar' item when it comes to the sugar dragon.  My body (IMO) sees it the same.  I don't know why, but the cravings are similar.  Plus once I have a couple beers, my rational thinking is gone and I have less will power. So after our whole 30, we decided no more drinking during the week.  It's been a good change.  We have a crazy schedule and not drinking during the week helps us sleep MUCH better.

We are huge wine drinkers living here in Sonoma County and much of our social life includes wine. I am nearing the end of my second Whole30 and here is how I abstain. Being satiated before that bottle is opened makes a huge difference. Before Whole30 I would have a glass or two while cooking, fueling what became a habit and spiking my insulin so that I wasn't terribly hungry for dinner. Now, it's just the opposite. I broke the habit by eating nutritious food instead to curb that craving. When the craving bubbles up I grab some nuts and fruit or starchy veggie to quiet my sugar dragon. I also bring sparkly water with me to events and drink it out of my wine glass. At home, my husband still has wine, not every night but I am no longer tempted. The benefits of Whole30 out weigh the negatives wine imposes on my system. Once finished with my 30 days, if I want a glass it will be from only a superb vintage. Something very special like a treat. Good luck!

Sparkling water in a fancy glass.

Add a slice of lemon or a strawberry for looks.

Or a dash of unsweetened grape- or cranberry juice for color.

Or make green tea, chill it and pour over ice.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a huge problem with alcohol abuse prior to starting my whole30 (actually I did a whole45).  Simply doing this program has helped with the cravings in the first week.  I have been drinking kombucha in place of alcohol along with eating compliant enabling me to be sober since February 9/14!!!

Archived