Resistant Starch and Whole 30

anniecakes

Hi all,

I'm beginning a new Whole30 today and SO ready to see some changes (I already omit a lot of the W30 foods/items, so am already feeling pretty good in general).    I've successfully completed one and weakly started a few, but am completely committed to it this time - long overdue for me.   I thought I better offer some background before asking my question....  My last W30 was at the end of losing about 110lbs - the W30 really fine tuned what I was doing and made me more aware of what certain foods did to me.  Alas that was a year and a half ago and I've slowly gained back 26lbs and 19" (thank you W30 notes from the first time).  I'm 6' tall so believe it of not it's not terribly noticeable, but nothing fits now and I'm not happy feeling this far from the numbers I'd reached.  The other important part of my life is that I have genetically miserable heart health - terrible #'s, coronary calcium/plaque, etc.  Never diabetic, but probably just a breathe away from it. Genetic marker for Alzheimer's also.  

SO, I've focused a lot on overall inflammation and doing everything I could to make that as little as possible.  I also take a bunch of supplements with immediate and long term benefits for heart and brain health.  In that vein, I also believe gut health is so important to systemic health elsewhere in the body.  Resistant starch has been getting a lot of play lately, but it's something I've read about for a while now, and kind of ignored.  Took another look at it all and decided to add it to my routine and see what, if anything I noticed.  I take 2-4 tbs of potato starch mixed with water daily  (was already taking pre/probiotics) and have seen changes.  I don't measure blood sugar (most report positive changes), but my overall 'feeling' and energy level is even more constant and good.  I'm sleeping and dreaming deeper and believe it's been a missing part of my plan and I want to continue with it.

My question is whether or not this is okay as a supplement during a W30?!?

tia,

Ann

Annie, I've just been reading about RS too. Very intriguing. Then I got into the rabbit hole of the paleo world--all the infighting and name calling. Madness.

Anyway. Have you seen instructions for plantain chips? I think you need to wait till you finish w30 but it might be something to consider. From what I've read it's best to start with real food sources of RS and build up to the supplements. There is also green banana flour...

Hi Beets - sorry for the delay in answering.  I have read of other sources for resistant starch - and yes, none of them are W30 friendly.  I also finally decided the potato starch route and my diverticulitis history aren't good friends - decision made :)  I will definitely be adding some of those natural sources into my day down the road.  

Archived