Can I have a product with vegetable fiber?

srdurham

I want to season my chicken with Wild Tree's Jamaican Jerk Seasoning. The ingredients are salt, various spices, vegetable fiber. Just checking because I have never seen this in a spice blend before. Thanks!

• Moderators

No, no, no. I just looked this product up on their website. You mentioned various spices without mentioning the evaporated cane juice. That is sugar. No sugar in any form is okay. That makes the blend not okay.

Curiously, the ingredient list online does not mention vegetable fiber as an ingredient. 

• 9 months later...

So the vegetable fiber okay? 

It depends. From my research "vegetable fiber" when listed on an ingredient label would most likely be an additive made from beans, so not permitted, however, there is a chance that a particular product uses "vegetable fiber" from something compliant. You could correspond with the manufacturer to find out, but, personally I would not bother. "vegetable fiber" on an ingredient list means that you are considering a processed food with components made in a laboratory. Getting fiber from actual vegetables is a better choice.

Archived