Losing the faith, day 12, advice from medical peeps or experienced members please!!

I am officially fed-up!

Personal health history - Childhood bronchial problems, ALLERGIES atopic, hayfever, animal fur, feathers, asthma, eczema, sinus problems, articular hypermobility, painful joints, eating disorders, early twenties diagnosed with post viral fatigue syndrome, IBS, Lichen Sclerosis (possible autoimmune disorder), Gestational Diabetes, recent diagnosis of chronic pain syndrome (poss hypermobility syndrome). There's bound to be stuff I've missed off.

Family history - brother ulcerative colitis, sister type 1 diabetes, sister hypermobility syndrome with dysplasia, (and two neices) fibromyalgia, drug addiction, mother lymphoma (non hodg), fibromyalgia, ibs, glucose sensitive, high cholesterol, collagen disorder amongst other stuff. Father type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure (resolved), alcoholism, high cholesterol. Nephew - joint dysplasia, Grandparents - cancer, obesity, heart disease (that I know of)

Daughters - food allergies, peanut, dairy, eggs, pineapple, kiwi. Asthma. Aching joints and fatigue.

So this is why I am desperate to solve these health problems. I really need to prevent this catalogue of ill health in my children. 

So - I feel ill, my guts hurt, I feel a bit nauseous, still have sore throat (since about day3 I think), headache, sinus pressure, unquenchable thirst, aches and pains and horrible fatigue. Massive bloating today! Ok so it's nothing new, but I am bored and irritated by it all. I just want to feel well.

Today is the first day that I have some doubt about the whole process. I know, I know it's called Whole30 not Whole12 but still I thought I might see some progress by now.

But hey the sun is shining and the kids will be at school/preschool soon. I have no work today - I desperately need to clean my house but I have about as much energy as a slug. I am stepping over a huge pile of clothes every time I go in my bedroom. I haven't put my toddler's clothes away for maybe a couple of weeks so that is piling high. I am barely keeping on top of the washing up. Actually, not keeping on top of it at all. I haven't managed to get to the end of it yet since I started this process. There's always another pile of oven dishes etc waiting to be cleaned from the constant cooking. My lounge... ha!! I have kept the door shut in shame (dumping ground).  I sound like someone you are glad you don't know in person I am sure!!!

My daughter just asked where we are going on holiday this year. I have told her there won't be one but she still asked anyway. Last year I had to cancel two holidays because I was too ill to travel. I do try hard to see my blessings every day but today I am struggling to feel positive. Sorry

I am following Whole30 foods and also have cut out nightshades. I've been reading about foods that affect the gut more (certain fruits, veg, as well as dairy and grains - FODMAPs) and there is the AIP which I stopped reading when it said No Eggs!! gulp! I realise that it might just be that I need to be more patient!! 42 years of bad habits and ill health might need a bit longer!

What say you?

I think I was at my worst around day 12 and texted a friend telling her this was the worst diet ever.  It's hard to imagine that I felt that way.  I've been done with my whole 30 for a couple months now and am still mostly sticking to the plan.  I plan to stick with it permanently. It's that great.  Stick to it and you will start to see the changes.  Good luck!

First off, breathe.  :) I can hear the desperation in your post. 

Secondly, you're right: it's the Whole30 and not the Whole12. Take a look at this tough love article here: http://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-tough-love/

Third, if you want to ensure you're on the right track in terms of getting the best results possible on the Whole30, post 2-3 days worth of your food log. Include how much water you're drinking daily, how much sleep you're getting nightly, any exercise you're doing, any additional stressors in your life. Folks here can give you feedback on possible tweaks.

Consider that, with such an extensive health history, you may not be able to resolve all those challenges in 30 days, and with diet only (you somewhat alluded to this at the end of your post). You may, however, begin to make some inroads. Take things one day a time, one meal at a time if necessary.

Arrrgh! It is so dang hard to see the light at the tunnel when all that laundry is blocking out the light! ;-)

I know where you're coming from, at least partially - I have Hypermobility Syndrome (EDS), IBS and POTS, too. There are lots of similarities between chronic fatigue and POTS, with the Hypermobility Syndrome being a nasty old link between them. Something to maybe ask your doctors about... get 'em to work! I'm also working on my very own Mount Laundry, hoping that the moths don't eat all of my child's clothes before I can get to them!

I'm on Day 15 of my first Whole 30 and can see myself just about turning the corner...ish. With all these health conditions plus all the crud that's been in my system, I am beginning to see that a simple 30 days just isn't going to do it. However, as I said, I am beginning to see some changes. It's not that I spring out of bed, ready for action like some Crossfit Ninja but I do feel something is changing...I have a smidgeon more energy, my attitude towards my self care is changing (at last!) and I'm developing a much better relationship with food. All those things you mention - laundry, little ones, washing, cleaning - don't quite seem like such an insurmountable task, like they used to. I'm trying to tackle these things in little bursts of 10 minutes but at least now I feel like I can stand up for 10 minutes straight and move my backside long enough to get something done! I hope you can get to this point soon, too!

I can certainly vouch for the improvement in my IBS symptoms after going on a Low FODMAP diet last summer. Honestly - try it, you have nothing to lose apart from all those LOVELY IBS symptoms...! I too shuddered at the thought of the AIP and no eggs but maybe just start with one protocol at a time? I could kick myself for the 17 yrs of high fibre diet I followed at my doctor's instruction to see off the IBS but lo-and-behold, most of these foods were high in FODMAPS. One thing I've also found since being low FODMAP is that the pain in my joints and muscles has considerably reduced... it might be worth a shot for you. I hope it helps...

Best of luck with it, keep going with this for you. Deep breaths and one step/meal at a time :-)

• Moderators

I agree with the good advice above, and just want to add that you sound a lot like I did when I did my first w30 more than a year ago. I was putting way too much pressure on myself and the program to miraculously fix/heal me immediately. Like you, I have a complex health history. Like you, I was working so hard to do everything exactly right so as to receive the magnificent rewards. And I got sick and then sicker and then I felt like I was getting fatter and weaker and then sick in a new way.

And here I am, more than a year later, healthier in every possible way. It's a marathon, not a sprint, and it STARTS with food. Also, my first w30 was a w47, and I'm now on day 67 of my second w30. Some of us need a lot longer than 30 days.

Hang in there. Try to find patience. Trust the process and that your body actually wants to heal. It will require persistence, time, and a whole lot of self care of a variety you may not be terribly familiar with yet. Best of luck and love to you. Stay the course and you will reap rewards beyond what you've imagined, and they may look very different from what you've envisioned.

Thank you!! Thank you all for your comments.

I am sure I am just having a tough day and I'll get my motivation back tomorrow! I think I will look at FODMAPs more carefully (and leave the AIP alone!)

I forgot to mention that I have been sugar free since the end of March and wheat free (apart from twice - made me feel shocking) since early March. I gave up fruit for four weeks when quitting sugar so have introduced limited amounts only for the Whole30. I was grain free and legume free for a week or so before I started this program.

I really wish I had been keeping a proper food log. I will do from now on. I think I drink plenty of water but it's worth checking.

I only buy organic pastured meat etc and organic fruit and veg. 

ok, I can feel my resolve strengthening again. Patience woman, I know I know!!!!!!

Gotta go do the school run. Thanks again.

And I was doing a little daily yoga and gym twice a week as part of my rehab from a particularly bad year but have been feeling too weak & exhausted and all my energy goes into cooking and clearing the kitchen lately!

It might be hard to believe, but the fact that you're feeling so bad is a good sign that your body is starting to heal. As your own tagline says, you are detoxing. The process entails some difficult days initially.

Archived